MartyZ

Do you really need a muzzle brake

Ok, I am not posting this to start a war. I would like every ones honest opinion on whether or not a MB is really needed on an AR15 or AR10. I am not talking about a competition gun where times matter, I am talking about a range/home defense/SHTF gun.

I started considering removing the MBs from all my ARs when I ran into an issue when I had to replace the free float handguard. I had to Dremel off the original gas block and replace it with a YHM 2 piece.

So please, no arguing, just opinions.

Muzzle devices of any kind (brakes/compensators/flash hiders) fall into the category of nice to have but not necessary.

That being said, I have breaks/comps on all of my ARs.

Their effectiveness is very subjective, but I seem to gain a benefit when using them as verified by shot timer and target scores.

• Agree 1

If I had a legal choice i would run a hybrid flash hider/muzzle brake. I had a AR with a non threaded barrel and it was  loud when shot indoors. I would prefer a SBR with a suppressor, But we live behind the  democratic curtain where freedom doesn't reign.  

I run VG 6 gamma muzzle brakes and a Schuster Atac comp/brake. They are loud but,  it is what it is. 

I mostly shoot of the bench , However brakes will help with follow up shots. jmho.

I have an AR15, an AR10, and a Savage 16, all with a VG6 Gamma. I was actually looking into the Gamma 556 SL. This pick from the aero precision website makes it look very interesting. Aero Precision actually sells a 14.5 inch barrel with the Gamma SL already pinned and welded on, but it's out of stock.

image.png

6 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Muzzle devices of any kind (brakes/compensators/flash hiders) fall into the category of nice to have but not necessary.

That being said, I have breaks/comps on all of my ARs.

Their effectiveness is very subjective, but I seem to gain a benefit when using them as verified by shot timer and target scores.

Are LEO exempt or have to follow the same for their personal arsenal?

7 hours ago, MartyZ said:

Ok, I am not posting this to start a war. I would like every ones honest opinion on whether or not a MB is really needed on an AR15 or AR10. I am not talking about a competition gun where times matter, I am talking about a range/home defense/SHTF gun.

I started considering removing the MBs from all my ARs when I ran into an issue when I had to replace the free float handguard. I had to Dremel off the original gas block and replace it with a YHM 2 piece.

So please, no arguing, just opinions.

So did you decide to go w/o the brake on that one build? If so how bad does the barrel look after? Did you just fill the hole up and put some paint back on the barrel? Who would address the threaded barrel portion for you? 

1 minute ago, My1stGlock said:

So did you decide to go w/o the brake on that one build? If so how bad does the barrel look after? Did you just fill the hole up and put some paint back on the barrel? Who would address the threaded barrel portion for you? 

Not yet. I replaced the gas block with a 2 piece instead. But I have other rifles that I'm thinking of changing handguards on.

5 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

Not yet. I replaced the gas block with a 2 piece instead. But I have other rifles that I'm thinking of changing handguards on.

You went w/ one of these? Guess it was carbine length?

https://yhm.net/two-piece-gas-block.html

This would of worked too? If you went with a longer handguard. 

https://yhm.net/yhm-9345.html

From a money and time perspective it might just be cheaper to go with these types of gas blocks rather than messing with the bake, pin and threads. 

1 hour ago, MartyZ said:

If you choose a handguard that uses a standard barrel nut you don’t have to do anything except shave the gas block (if necessary - A-frame or railed) ) and cut off the delta ring and spring.

18 hours ago, My1stGlock said:

Are LEO exempt or have to follow the same for their personal arsenal?

LEOs have no exemptions for personal firearms.

A LEO can have have a personally owned AR with all the evil features if:

1.  They use the firearm on the job with authorization from the department.

2.  They need a permit to own an "assault weapon".  The process to get such a permit is the same as to own a machine gun.

When they retire, quit, or leave the department the firearm must be disposed of.

https://www.villanideluca.com/nj-lawyers-practice-areas/nj-criminal-defense-lawyers/nj-criminal-statutes/nj-firearms-laws/2c_58-5/

On 11/20/2021 at 11:07 AM, GRIZ said:

LEOs have no exemptions for personal firearms.

A LEO can have have a personally owned AR with all the evil features if:

1.  They use the firearm on the job with authorization from the department.

2.  They need a permit to own an "assault weapon".  The process to get such a permit is the same as to own a machine gun.

When they retire, quit, or leave the department the firearm must be disposed of.

https://www.villanideluca.com/nj-lawyers-practice-areas/nj-criminal-defense-lawyers/nj-criminal-statutes/nj-firearms-laws/2c_58-5/

Or have a boating accident..............NJ..............

On 11/19/2021 at 5:22 PM, High Exposure said:

If you choose a handguard that uses a standard barrel nut you don’t have to do anything except shave the gas block (if necessary - A-frame or railed) ) and cut off the delta ring and spring.

That is actually what I had on my SPR, it was a samson 15" handguard. Then I switched to a strike 17" handguard for the extra length and m-lock. So I had to dremel off the original gas block and replace it with the YHM hinged gas block. Don't get me wrong, the YHM works great, but I would feel more comfortable with a pinned gas block because I already had issues the the JP 2 piece adjustable gas block on my AR10 canting during firing and literally being blown off sheering 3 of the 6 screws, I did fix that by eventually pinning it, it has a dimple for drilling at the top, but there is no way to pin the YHM hinged block.

Basically I want to be able to swap out parts without destroying and replacing existing parts.