silverado427

Dented cases with good primers

To neutralize the primer drop some oil into the case. It will seep through the hole and make the primer inert.

Alternatively, you can put the empty primed case in a gun and fire just the primer. I would do that outdoors as there are some heavy metals in the primer that you don't want to have floating around in your basement.

How dented are the cases? Got any pics?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MartyZ said:

I have used wd40 with good results. Like @Mr.Stu said, just spray some wd40 or other oil in the case, just enough to cover the primer, and give it a few hours to do it's magic.

I did an experiment in the 70s filling primed cases with oil, water. WD40,  etc  and let stand for 24 hours.  The only thing that killed all the primers was WD40.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 9:01 AM, silverado427 said:

I was just wondering how to dispose of them. I pulled the bullets and powder.

The cases have to big of a dent otherwise I would have fired them. Just curious . 

why dont you just gently deprime the primers and reuse.  

2 hours ago, Ryu said:

why dont you just gently deprime the primers and reuse.  

It is generally not worth it for 2 reasons.

1. Pressing out a live primer carries a risk that it will ignite - got a great thing to be doing when you're standing right there and could damage your decapping tool.
  2. Once it has been seated the anvil is compressed into the cup. Pressing it out and reseating it in another case may cause the anvil to shift and result in a failure when you try to fire it.

It all depends on how many primers you need to get rid of. My favorite way to dispose of them is to fire them in the gun. Some dented cases can be resized enough (with primers in them and decapinng pin removed) that they can be chambered. Sometimes I would use a bench vise to hold the case and use a pin and a hammer to set the primer off. When I do that I wear heavy leather gloves, a full face shield and have a fan in the window working on exhaust.