45Doll

Toyota Solves The Microchip Shortage?

Our two leased autos are Toyotas, the leases expire next year, and we've already been offered the ONE inbound Rav4 for the first one that expires in February. Perhaps the outlook will be better now.

Toyota Busts The Car Microchip Shortage (msn.com)

1 hour ago, FXDX said:

In other Tech news

Samsung to Choose Taylor, Texas, for $17 Billion Chip-Making Factory

https://www.wsj.com/articles/samsung-to-choose-taylor-texas-for-17-billion-chipmaking-factory-11637627613?mod=hp_lead_pos7

That is about 5 miles from me. 

On 11/23/2021 at 5:39 PM, FXDX said:

In other Tech news

Samsung to Choose Taylor, Texas, for $17 Billion Chip-Making Factory

https://www.wsj.com/articles/samsung-to-choose-taylor-texas-for-17-billion-chipmaking-factory-11637627613?mod=hp_lead_pos7

I thought you semi types said building chip factories was something along the lines of pointless?

On 11/24/2021 at 10:13 PM, FXDX said:

what?

A ways back in a discussion, it was mentioned by some with some experience here in the semiconductor industry that it would take too long and cost too much $$$ to build semiconductor fabrication plants in the US.  This article seems to contradict that view.

Was wondering what the semi industry people thought about this project by Samsung.

sorry but wasn’t specifically directed at you, thought it reads as it was.

A new fab won’t help the current chip shortage. It will take Samsung several years to build the Taylor chip fab, and another couple of years to get a good yield. 

Long term, it’s a great move for Samsung, but don’t expect it to help the current issues. 

Chip production is a very dirty process. All kinds of nasty gasses, acids, and other chemicals are used in the processes. The EPA, OSHA, and many other .gov agencies are constantly up their asses about working with these materials, and the disposition of the waste. 
Regulatory nightmare. 

That was one of the major reasons much of chip production moved offshore. Places like China don’t have the regulatory and environmental concerns most of the rest of the world does. 

7 hours ago, Kevin125 said:

A ways back in a discussion, it was mentioned by some with some experience here in the semiconductor industry that it would take too long and cost too much $$$ to build semiconductor fabrication plants in the US.

Missed that one, thanks for clarifying. All I know is china has us by the short hairs thanks to trader Joe and their America last polices.  As noted above by Tex if China takes Taiwan in the coming weeks or months a US based plant in the makings isn’t going to do us much good. If anyone needed further proof that we’re screwed Biden he did a 3 - 4 hour zoom call with China's President Xi Jinping last week. During the meeting they never talked about covid so that in itself is very telling. So rest assured when biden and the WH serve up the next self manufactured disaster they will point to the new covid variant. As far as  the original topic that's good for Toyota however we can’t use a chip designed for a Toyota Camry Air Bag deployment system in our home’s HVAC systems.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

A new fab won’t help the current chip shortage. It will take Samsung several years to build the Taylor chip fab, and another couple of years to get a good yield. 

Long term, it’s a great move for Samsung, but don’t expect it to help the current issues. 

Chip production is a very dirty process. All kinds of nasty gasses, acids, and other chemicals are used in the processes. The EPA, OSHA, and many other .gov agencies are constantly up their asses about working with these materials, and the disposition of the waste. 
Regulatory nightmare. 

That was one of the major reasons much of chip production moved offshore. Places like China don’t have the regulatory and environmental concerns most of the rest of the world does. 

I realize the benefit is long term, but at least one company taking that path.  Maybe they’ll have an easier time with regs in TX.  Can’t avoid the feds...but less grief from the home state may be helpful.

8 minutes ago, Kevin125 said:

I realize the benefit is long term, but at least one company taking that path.  Maybe they’ll have an easier time with regs in TX.  Can’t avoid the feds...but less grief from the home state may be helpful.

The Austin area is considered to be ‘Sillicon Valley East’.

Samsung already has a strong presence in this area. They have another fab in Austin. 
Texas Instruments is also heavily ingrained here, with fabs in several parts of Texas. Several other chip makers as well. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

The Austin area is considered to be ‘Sillicon Valley East’.

Samsung already has a strong presence in this area. They have another fab in Austin. 
Texas Instruments is also heavily ingrained here, with fabs in several parts of Texas. Several other chip makers as well. 

Even though you are gainfully employed, I hope you applied for a position in the new plant!  Who knows?  Lots of money in that industry!

8 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Even though you are gainfully employed, I hope you applied for a position in the new plant!  Who knows?  Lots of money in that industry!

My company has a semiconductor division, which I am now working for (sort of…my time is split between semi and life sciences). 
In time, I’ll be all semi. 

• Like 1