ESB

Recommend a NiBo BCG

6 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

don't use hoppes 9 on it

brownells sells chromed ones on occasion, that is what I'd go with

On a NiBo or nitride or both? :) Curious why as I've never heard this. What about other lubes such as CLP? The NiBo is so slick is doesn't appear to hold lube anyway, especially after the first couple shots.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xtors said:

On a NiBo or nitride or both? :) Curious why as I've never heard this. What about other lubes such as CLP? The NiBo is so slick is doesn't appear to hold lube anyway, especially after the first couple shots.

Nitride is ok.  Hoppes discolors nibo coatings. Well known issue

What do you recommend using instead of Hoppes 9?  

And is it the Solvent or Oil (or both) that is the problem?  Is Hoppes CLP OK?  I have all Hoppes cleaning stuff right now, so need to know what to replace when cleaning this BCG and associated areas.  

Can't help u there as I don't use nibo, imho there is no material benefit as ive never cared for duration of time when cleaning.  I use the same routine regardless.  I also only use ao precision/colt/fn bcgs in my 5.56 weapons which are phosphate although ao started selling nitride.  ive had nibo and nitride and do the same cleaning regardless.  With nibo, just be aware the discoloration and this happens regardless (young manufacturing to cheap brownells/psa)   ive not had xo but read the same on arfcom.  I stick with above mentioned brands for bcg exclusively now.

Everyone lubes unless dry sandy conditions so whats the point is the view.

Brake cleaner, hoppes, clean,  lube shoot

39 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

Can't help u there as I don't use nibo, imho there is no material benefit as ive never cared for duration of time when cleaning.  I use the same routine regardless.  I also only use ao precision/colt/fn bcgs in my 5.56 weapons which are phosphate although ao started selling nitride.  ive had nibo and nitride and do the same cleaning regardless.  With nibo, just be aware the discoloration and this happens regardless (young manufacturing to cheap brownells/psa)   ive not had xo but read the same on arfcom.  I stick with above mentioned brands for bcg exclusively now.

Everyone lubes unless dry sandy conditions so whats the point is the view.

Brake cleaner, hoppes, clean,  lube shoot

This. 

Personally, I don’t see any reason to use anything other than phosphate treated BCG. 
Easy enough to clean.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

This. 

Personally, I don’t see any reason to use anything other than phosphate treated BCG. 
Easy enough to clean.

this doesn't even being to mention chipping or increased wear that is showing up after hard use.  I was banned on arfcom for telling someone to stick their head up their a$$ otherwise I'd post some links regarding this for the op.

rtb has ao precision for 80, best bcg on the market imho

40 minutes ago, Xtors said:

Was just visiting Sons of Liberty Gun Works and on their homepage was a video of BCGs. Seems apropos given this thread.

Great points. Mil-spec is a grossly overused term, but that’s all I use is mil-spec bcg’s. Colt, or Toolcraft, preferably. 

1 hour ago, Xtors said:

Was just visiting Sons of Liberty Gun Works and on their homepage was a video of BCGs. Seems apropos given this thread.

SOLGW   are rifle assemblers they don't  manufacture any parts, They outsource everything. 

couple of notes here;

Toolcraft does not make their bolts, they source them.  All bolts are MPI, even if not lasered as so

Brownells is actually Anderson

AO is all AO and supplies Colt among others

FN is all FN and they supply bolts to many rebranders (used to be psa premium line but not sure any longer)

Aero Precision makes their own as well

I used to have a list somewhere but changed pc's so can't find it.  Off the top of my head but if more come up, then I'll post it.

QPQ nitrided carriers are awesome. They clean up easy and the finish can't flake off and the finish wears better than phosphate. 

For bolts I keep various spares about just in case, but I just buy JP bolts at this point. They are super consistent dimensionally, they last as well as anything, and they stand behind them. 

I have some PSA Premium / Toolcraft NiB BCGs. They seem fine, and I haven’t had any issues with them. With that said, I’ve mostly settled on BCM and DD BCGs lately. Cleaning a phosphate BCG isn’t much more work than the NiB ones. Spray on some clp, let it sit a few minutes, hit it with a nylon brush, and then wipe it down. Doesn’t need to be spotless. My favorite BCG is the chrome DD model I picked up right before the craziness. Cleans up easily and has the rougher look of chrome compared to NiB.