Lawnmower2021

Immediate wear on Beretta 92X barrel?

That’s doesnt look like normal wear is there something protruding under the sight inside the slide?

I don’t think the falling-block 92 doesn’t make the same “barrel smiles” that the camming-barrel Browning pistols do but if that’s a scratch in the barrel nitriding something is not right

Here are some shots of the slide (upside down) under the front sight. It generally feels smooth to the touch but it looks like there's a hint of lip around the hole under the sight. Maybe? Though it seems like the barrel should clear it.

It's honestly been a while since I last used it; I am glad I decided to ask!

Screenshot_2021-11-28_101019.thumb.png.129701478e5d2290f41094080578f35f.png

1436821925_Screenshot2021-11-28101036.thumb.png.e466e1aa324420a1643662278d4f71bb.png

Screenshot 2021-11-28 101049.png

Screenshot_2021-11-28_101139.png

5 hours ago, Tunaman said:

Send the piece of shit back and tell them to get their quality control in order.

Just to be clear I'm not implying that a Beretta 92 is a POS. I have an Italian made 92F that I'm quite fond of.

Whenever a product is mass produced some are bound to be finished late Friday afternoon.

I've had to return a Sig, a Henry and a Savage for repair. I never did return the Savage though, it was a loose fore end and Savage wanted me to pay the return shipping so I traded that Savage and another one I owned for a Ruger.

I'm now a bit hesitant to purchase another Savage product.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the input all!

I wish the thought occurred to me before. I dropped a note to Beretta's customer service and will mention it to the shop I got it from when I stop by this week.

Overall, I like the gun. One way or another I hope to rectify this and continue to enjoy it. :) Hope you can fix your issue too, @The_Matrix

13 minutes ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

Thanks for the input all!

I wish the thought occurred to me before. I dropped a note to Beretta's customer service and will mention it to the shop I got it from when I stop by this week.

Overall, I like the gun. One way or another I hope to rectify this and continue to enjoy it. :) Hope you can fix your issue too, @The_Matrix

I love this pistol and plan to shoot the sh*t out of it, so the scratches don't really bother me.

The pistol is very light in recoil and I got the RDO version to install a red dot.  I got the centurion model.

Well, it looks like Beretta will service the gun. On one hand, it's not a *huge* deal, but it's great that they'll do it and I don't have to risk making the problem worse. :)

I did already order a bottle of oxpho blue, which can't hurt to have on hand in any case. When she comes back I'll be treating her to a nice new red dot.

On 11/30/2021 at 2:00 PM, Lawnmower2021 said:

Well, it looks like Beretta will service the gun. On one hand, it's not a *huge* deal, but it's great that they'll do it and I don't have to risk making the problem worse. :)

I did already order a bottle of oxpho blue, which can't hurt to have on hand in any case. When she comes back I'll be treating her to a nice new red dot.

Glad Beretta stepping up. Only prob is down time on the Beretta so guess you have to give another hand gun some loving...

Show the pics after it comes back.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

Updating if anyone curious: I am still waiting for a replacement barrel from Beretta. Apparently getting things out of their Italian factory has been very slow...

But on the plus side: I just got my free optic plate a few days ago :D haha

It has to come out of the Italian factory?  They don't have the TN Factory up and running yet?  

27 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

It has to come out of the Italian factory?  They don't have the TN Factory up and running yet?  

Yeah, it's been on "back order since Jan 6." They do still actively produce parts for this gun, just slowly.

Odd they don't know when they're shipping parts to themselves. Sounds like they have serious issues with staffing, production hours and shipping. Suppose that goes for anything from Italy.

At least I got my free optics plate 2 months after submitting for it. They manually go through the list of emails for that. :o

29 minutes ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

Odd they don't know when they're shipping parts to themselves. Sounds like they have serious issues with staffing, production hours and shipping. Suppose that goes for anything from Italy.

I guess you haven't dealt with the Italians much. They take mañana to a whole new level.

On 2/4/2022 at 12:47 PM, Lawnmower2021 said:

Yeah, it's been on "back order since Jan 6." They do still actively produce parts for this gun, just slowly.

At least I got my free optics plate 2 months after submitting for it. They manually go through the list of emails for that. :o

Ouch, My free Walther plate was received 4 days after hitting the enter button.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Took a month or so for mine.

How do you like your PDP? Loving mine, didn’t think I would like a Red dot on a pistol, at first it was frustrating, almost like learning to shoot all over again, but once muscle memory kicked in and I could find the dot fast and accurately it became a wonderful shooter. 

10 minutes ago, Redeye65 said:

How do you like your PDP? Loving mine, didn’t think I would like a Red dot on a pistol, at first it was frustrating, almost like learning to shoot all over again, but once muscle memory kicked in and I could find the dot fast and accurately it became a wonderful shooter. 

I like it a lot - just wish I could find more mags for it.

UPDATE: Today I learned that my particular 92X model was discontinued... two years ago. So the barrel would never come.

I have literally asked about exactly this and was reassured all the way up to an expected shipment last week. On the plus side, Beretta will give me a completely new replacement. I can't complain, but it all seems so bizarre.

Unsurprisingly, it's on back order with no ETA. :jester:

7 hours ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

UPDATE: Today I learned that my particular 92X model was discontinued... two years ago. So the barrel would never come.

I have literally asked about exactly this and was reassured all the way up to an expected shipment last week. On the plus side, Beretta will give me a completely new replacement. I can't complain, but it all seems so bizarre.

Unsurprisingly, it's on back order with no ETA. :jester:

The pistol you sent to them was the RDO model? Discontinued 2 years ago?

They are sending a new pistol? Sweet!

I love my 92x performance, the sights are sweet. NonRDO. 

50 minutes ago, Redeye65 said:

The pistol you sent to them was the RDO model? Discontinued 2 years ago?

They are sending a new pistol? Sweet!

I love my 92x performance, the sights are sweet. NonRDO. 

I was tempted to go for the 92X performance, looks really nice.

Yeah, I sent them a 92X RDO full size and they're sending me a newer model of the same line. It's whacky but, again, can't complain :D

17 minutes ago, The_Matrix said:

The RDO is a relatively new model.  Maybe a year old

This surprised me as well. The phone rep said it was discontinued two years ago and couldn't cite a specific reason why. Maybe it was just a guestimate on their part.

Apparently each bundle (eg. 18rd mags, 10rd mags, etc.) has a different model code as well. Maybe their whole system just got confused. :huh: 

So far the story has evolved from: Send to third party for bluing -> Waiting for barrel from Italy -> ... Waiting for barrel from US -> Barrel from Italy expected last week -> Your model's discontinued and you're getting a replacement.

The replacement is the right model with NJ compliant mags, so I really don't mind. 

1 hour ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

I was tempted to go for the 92X performance, looks really nice.

Yeah, I sent them a 92X RDO full size and they're sending me a newer model of the same line. It's whacky but, again, can't complain :D

34 minutes ago, The_Matrix said:

The RDO is a relatively new model.  Maybe a year old

That’s the confusing part, I was under the same assumption that the RDO came out last summer, but Beretta is saying the RDO model sent to them had been discontinued 2 years ago.

2 minutes ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

This surprised me as well. The phone rep said it was discontinued two years ago and couldn't cite a specific reason why. Maybe it was just a guestimate on their part.

Apparently each bundle (eg. 18rd mags, 10rd mags, etc.) has a different model code as well. Maybe their whole system just got confused. :huh: 

So far the story has evolved from: Send to third party for bluing -> Waiting for barrel from Italy -> ... Waiting for barrel from US -> Barrel from Italy expected last week -> Your model's discontinued and you're getting a replacement.

The replacement is the right model with NJ compliant mags, so I really don't mind. 

Agreed, who cares, you’re getting a new pistol!!!

Just bizarre you went through all that.

I have a PDP with a Leupold DPP mounted for you to compare to that brandie new Beretta when you mount a RD, let’s hit a range! Lol

• Like 1