Lawnmower2021

Immediate wear on Beretta 92X barrel?

Well, now we're looking at maybe July 15th for the barrel. They did order me a replacement gun, and I guess we're going for whichever comes first.

I'd be inclined to push harder for the new replacement, but if the barrel actually shows up I'd rather take that than wait another many months for the replacement... and then NICS, transfer fees, permits, etc. on top of that.

I would take what ever beretta is offering, but here's the deal. Every 92 I own wears around that location. It looks like you have a visible burr in there, which should be sorted out, and obviously the cause of the premature wear. However, even a new barrel with the burr removed will eventually wear all the same unfortunately. It's a metal on metal part, so the finish can only wear over time. 

My m9a1 with no tooling in that location, no burrs or marks has about the same wear at 1500rounds, although at the 10oclock position.  

8 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

I would take what ever beretta is offering, but here's the deal. Every 92 I own wears around that location. It looks like you have a visible burr in there, which should be sorted out, and obviously the cause of the premature wear. However, even a new barrel with the burr removed will eventually wear all the same unfortunately. It's a metal on metal part, so the finish can only wear over time. 

I do understand that, especially now. This is my first pistol; I naively babied it since it scraped right away instead of wearing out over time.

In hindsight, it's probably not worth waiting 8+ months over. I thought it would be a quick, simple fix. :fool:

On 7/4/2022 at 10:13 PM, Lawnmower2021 said:

I do understand that, especially now. This is my first pistol; I naively babied it since it scraped right away instead of wearing out over time.

In hindsight, it's probably not worth waiting 8+ months over. I thought it would be a quick, simple fix. :fool:

Here is my ltt 92x with somewhere between 2-3k rounds in it. It has wear at the end, but no actually deep scratches. Just the paint worn off. 

barrel.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Beretta92x said:

Here is my ltt 92x with somewhere between 2-3k rounds in it. It has wear at the end, but no actually deep scratches. Just the paint worn off. 

barrel.jpg

Thank you for sharing! That's something I would expect. My issue here is from the first few mags.

Update: STILL waiting.

My 96A1 has the same wear as the above after about 1700 rounds. I'm pretty sure your scratches are not normal wear and are due to the burrs surrounding the drilled hole. I am assuming you have filed it smooth, if not, the new barrel will get scratched too. Hope you get the new barrel soon.

• Agree 1

On 4/12/2022 at 10:43 PM, Lawnmower2021 said:

This surprised me as well. The phone rep said it was discontinued two years ago and couldn't cite a specific reason why. Maybe it was just a guestimate on their part.

Apparently each bundle (eg. 18rd mags, 10rd mags, etc.) has a different model code as well. Maybe their whole system just got confused. :huh: 

So far the story has evolved from: Send to third party for bluing -> Waiting for barrel from Italy -> ... Waiting for barrel from US -> Barrel from Italy expected last week -> Your model's discontinued and you're getting a replacement.

The replacement is the right model with NJ compliant mags, so I really don't mind. 

On 6/22/2022 at 3:14 PM, Lawnmower2021 said:

Well, now we're looking at maybe July 15th for the barrel. They did order me a replacement gun, and I guess we're going for whichever comes first.

I'd be inclined to push harder for the new replacement, but if the barrel actually shows up I'd rather take that than wait another many months for the replacement... and then NICS, transfer fees, permits, etc. on top of that.

Just curious if getting a replacement gun (new serial #) how does that work? Doesn't it have to go to the FFL and wouldn't a PPP be needed and another NICS run? Also if they just replacing the barrel are they just going to repair/correct the whole slide issue? That's the root cause anyways right? 

29 minutes ago, My1stGlock said:

Just curious if getting a replacement gun (new serial #) how does that work? Doesn't it have to go to the FFL and wouldn't a PPP be needed and another NICS run? Also if they just replacing the barrel are they just going to repair/correct the whole slide issue? That's the root cause anyways right? 

Yes, ugh. Barrel shipment fell through, so waiting on replacement gun again. If it goes that way, then yes it goes through FFL with all the usual things.

It's as of yet hard to tell if they fixed the slide. The only note is they "adjusted the front sight" and won't elaborate. Latest date is the 4th for a replacement gun.

1 hour ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

Yes, ugh. Barrel shipment fell through, so waiting on replacement gun again. If it goes that way, then yes it goes through FFL with all the usual things.

It's as of yet hard to tell if they fixed the slide. The only note is they "adjusted the front sight" and won't elaborate. Latest date is the 4th for a replacement gun.

Eight months + for warranty work/replacement gun is a little extreme. Maybe another letter to Beretta expressing your disappointment might get you some freebies. It's the least they can do. This is a PR nightmare. Perhaps a coupon or discount codes to purchase another one of their guns? Hell even free extra mags. Worth a shot. It's part of doing business.

Another idea why not get approval to buy a replacement barrel your self and submit it for reimbursement. It would be ironic if you went and ordered it directly from their website and got it fulfilled that way. 

19 minutes ago, My1stGlock said:

Eight months + for warranty work/replacement gun is a little extreme. Maybe another letter to Beretta expressing your disappointment might get you some freebies. It's the least they can do. This is a PR nightmare. Perhaps a coupon or discount codes to purchase another one of their guns? Hell even free extra mags. Worth a shot. It's part of doing business.

Another idea why not get approval to buy a replacement barrel your self and submit it for reimbursement. It would be ironic if you went and ordered it directly from their website and got it fulfilled that way. 

Beretta is known for terrible customer service. At this point they rather be a clothing company then a gun manufacturer. 

• Agree 1

Update: I just got my Beretta back.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Never got a new barrel, but it seems they smoothed out the burr and blued over the scratch. Has a hint of a ridge in it, like a scratch on a leather sofa. It's fine and I'm glad to have it back.

I heard a rumor they're working on a new trigger upgrade set for this gun so will consider that in the near future.

Thank you for watching this adventure and do not make the same mistake I did. :)

7 hours ago, My1stGlock said:

I just picked up the Centurion model with the RDO and noticed the same crap happening to my barrel. Less than 100 rounds too. Geeze have to break it down and check for burrs too. 

By now I've noticed this is somewhat common on all new 92 series guns. It's the change to dovetail sights that necessitates the drill hole which carries this risk.

After the last few sessions with mine it still scrapes off any new blue I apply. I may try to polish it with fine sandpaper or just keep going until it stops.

On 10/26/2022 at 7:16 AM, Lawnmower2021 said:

By now I've noticed this is somewhat common on all new 92 series guns. It's the change to dovetail sights that necessitates the drill hole which carries this risk.

After the last few sessions with mine it still scrapes off any new blue I apply. I may try to polish it with fine sandpaper or just keep going until it stops.

Not even 50 rounds down range neither. Just so pathetic something as simple as clearance and proper QC. Its not like its the first time anyone dovetail the front sight. Gonna do wat Tunaman suggested to avoid the warranty drama. 

IMG_8575.jpg