sroc112

Is this upper NJ compliant?

The A2 flash hider has to go.

Then you need to deal with the muzzle threads:

Either get rid of them or cover them with a non-flash-hiding muzzle attachment or thread protector, either of which needs to be permanently attached so that the threads are no longer accessible by the prosecuting attorney and his monkeys.

In addition, the entire bayonet lug (not just the ears) has to go.

Then it will be NJ compliant (for the moment).

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

Holy crap! $60??!!!!!!!  I didn’t know they were that expensive. 

I have an extended A2 type comp (not EGW) in my parts box, makes a 14.5” carbine 16.25”. 
If you need it, it’s yours for the cost of postage. It looks like the one on the left in this pic. 

EFF30082-96B5-4CCE-BB70-C568BD280004.jpeg

How difficult is it to remove the entire bayonet lug? Did not even realize it had one.

Also, is it ok for me to order that upper, never attach it to an upper, bring both the upper and lower (detached) to my ffl and have them pin the stock and weld the new brake on? Then be in a legal configuration? Only illegal of the upper and lower are connected with the flash hider?

56 minutes ago, sroc112 said:

How difficult is it to remove the entire bayonet lug? Did not even realize it had one.

The PSA link you posted in the first post shows a non-compliant (NJ-wise) other-than-post-ban) upper with a bayonet lug as part of the front sight base.  Normal in Free America, but not in the Glorious Peoples Republik of New Jerseystan.

Easy enough to whack it off (get your mind out of the guttter!) with the cutter wheel on a dremel. Cold blue or hit it with one of the available markers.

Also, is it ok for me to order that upper, never attach it to an upper, bring both the upper and lower (detached) to my ffl and have them pin the stock and weld the new brake on? Then be in a legal configuration? Only illegal of the upper and lower are connected with the flash hider?

Perfectly legal for you to order that particular upper to ship directly to you here in the PRNJ. Where you could get your tits in a wringer is if you also control or possess a lower, thereby putting you in Constructive Possession of a prohibited NJ Assault Rifle.

55 minutes ago, sroc112 said:

Steve at Monmouth Arms does a nice job with AR compliance work.

2 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

Where you could get your tits in a wringer is if you also control or possess a lower, thereby putting you in Constructive Possession of a prohibited NJ Assault Rifle.

Yep.

Monmouth arms is where i currently have my aero lower being shipped to. Just ordered it over the weekend.

Think i may scratch that psa upper then. Also have my eyes on a colt 6920 upper and a spikes upper, if i can find a deal somewhere. Not in a huge rush

Also open to some suggestions from you guys on a quality complete upper that wont break the bank. Keeping this rifle somewhat affordable. Want it to be carbine length with a 1:7 twist. 7 inch handguard with a mounted front sight. If it doesnt come with handguard or charging handle that is ok as i plan to replace with what i want anyway. Also ok of no bcg. Preferably no more than $800 and only willing to go that high if it does include rail, charging handle, and bcg that i like and wont have to replace.

Justbto clarify, you are still able to do a 14.5 barrell with a break long enough to bring you to compliant length, correct?

I dont see in the description but does this have the bayonet lug as well? Really not looking to go through having to remove it but i do want a front sight post.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/upper-receivers/m4-5-56-upper-receiver-groups-prod69545.aspx

8 hours ago, sroc112 said:

So is the only difference that its called a break and not flash hider? What is the actual difference that would be visible to the eye?

Muzzle Brake, not Break...

51 minutes ago, sroc112 said:

Justbto clarify, you are still able to do a 14.5 barrell with a break long enough to bring you to compliant length, correct?

I dont see in the description but does this have the bayonet lug as well? Really not looking to go through having to remove it but i do want a front sight post.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/upper-receivers/m4-5-56-upper-receiver-groups-prod69545.aspx

My Spikes AR has a 14.5" barrel with a factory pinned Spikes Dynacomp brake, making the length 16" which is legal.  

The upper you posted is a Colt upper and it has the Front Sight Post Gas Block, which does have a Bayonet lug.  95% of FSP gas blocks have them.  

3 minutes ago, ESB said:

I've gotten a lot from them recently, no issues.  We'll see how long it takes my BF purchases to arrive though.  

that's good and I hope you get your bf stuff soon and free of any issues.  Absolutely hard to argue for psa when aero is only slightly more right now.  I will say I wish I did buy one of their 'let's go brandon' lowers though lol

aero's blem sales are outstanding as were their bf sales.  I missed out on a m5 lower, lpk, stock, buffer, spring, tube for 199!

13 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

I will say I wish I did buy one of their 'let's go brandon' lowers though lol

I got my order locked in. Now to figure out what build I wanna do with it. I'm contemplating a build to match Rittenhouse's rifle, but if they come out with a Rittenhouse lower than I'll have to buy that and do it with that. 

20 minutes ago, InFamous said:

I got my order locked in. Now to figure out what build I wanna do with it. I'm contemplating a build to match Rittenhouse's rifle, but if they come out with a Rittenhouse lower than I'll have to buy that and do it with that. 

I'd buy a Rittenhouse lower in a heartbeat!  even a psa one