Underdog

Thoughts on Type II Diabetes

Anybody that knows someone with Type II Diabetes might want to become familiar with Dr. Jason Fung's work.  

His book the Diabetes Code is awesome!   His other titles are valuable as well.  

It is my decidedly non-professional understanding that Type 2 Diabetes is largely caused by diet and lifestyle.  It is a huge problem in our society, as we approach 10% of our population being affected.  I'll confess to not having watched the videos, but it's good to see important information like that getting out. 

Tried it for 3 months didn't work. And as per my endocrinologist, the intermittent fasting (paleo) diet is not a good idea. It's better to eat many small low carb meals thru ought the day then to fast and have less, larger meals, according to my doctor.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MartyZ said:

Tried it for 3 months didn't work. And as per my endocrinologist, the intermittent fasting (paleo) diet is not a good idea. It's better to eat many small low carb meals thru ought the day then to fast and have less, larger meals, according to my doctor.

I would think it would depend on the underlying cause of the type 2 diabetes and interactions with meds.  Generally it is caused by too much sugar in the body and insulin resistance but it could be caused be a nonfunctioning pancreas.  Proper healthy fasting lowers insulin and cleans out liver allowing the body to tap into sugar reserves rotting body.  Unhealthy fats perhaps on an unhealthy keto diet poison the already ineffective mitochondria in cells.  When eating around the clock it never allows for insulin levels to get lower and insulin resistance doesn’t improve.  

Everybody is different.  

It is my belief that too much sugar, especially high fructose corn syrup, poisonous vegetable oils such as Canola and Palm Oil and the removal of healthy fats and replacement of carbs in low-fat foods , along with too much food  altogether and eating too often, and the im balance of  healthy and necessary Omega 3 and Omega 6 fats that have created the diabetic and metabolic syndrome epidemics.  And big pharma and the medical establishment have little desire to disrupt their cash cow. Exercise is aldo needed to create more and healthier mitochondria.  

I believe this is the best treatment I've ever read of how to avoid or reduce the severity of Type II diabetes through diet:

https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=231343

I've quoted the focus on what you should eat below, but DO READ THE WHOLE THING AT THE LINK ABOVE:

So what do you eat?

• Green vegetables such as spinach, kale, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cucumbers, etc.  All are high in nutrients, low in calories, very low in carbohydrate and glycemic load and most have a good amount of fiber as well, all of it being naturally-occurring (not "added back.")  Frozen is fine; fresh is ok if you prefer it but there's no nutritional difference that's material.

• Modest amounts of fruits are fine, eaten whole, approximating what you could obtain in season.  Note that neither fruits or vegetables should be "juiced" or otherwise processed; doing so grossly speeds up the absorption of the sugars and destroys much of the fiber value!  Eat your strawberries, in other words, as strawberries, not as a component in a "smoothie."

• Full-fat cheeses are perfectly ok; they have a near-perfect (75-80/20-25) balance of fat:protein.  Do not buy the "reduced fat", "2%" or similar cheeses.

• Eggs likewise have a decent balance of proteins and fats, eaten whole, although they are a bit protein-heavy.  Eschew the "eggwhite" and "eggbeaters" nonsense; break actual eggs and prepare them as you wish (it's perfectly ok to cook them first if you want them hard-boiled!)  On mass eggs have about 6 grams of both fat and protein, but since fat is 9 cal/gm the energy balance (which is what you care about) is 1.5:1 in favor of fat.  This means about 40% protein, 60% fat when you do the math; the goal for a non-athlete is around 20-25% of intake from protein, so they can't be your primary source but they're good overall.

• Full-fat meats and fish.  Pork, chicken, beef and similar are all fine but do not trim or remove the fat portions.  This means you eat your chicken skin-on, eschew the "skinless" chicken breast in favor of the complete version and eat it all.  For steak, consume the fat and do not trim it; same with pork.  For fish prefer fatty fish such as salmon and tuna.

• Reserve your excess fat, especially from bacon and sausage cooked for breakfast, and use it for cooking purposes -- such as sauteeing or even microwaving vegetables.  If poured into a coffee mug it will keep for several months in the refrigerator without a problem.  If you're older than 40 your mother probably did this and she knew what she was doing.  For other cooking purposes (e.g. if you want to have an omelet and don't happen to have handy reserved bacon fat) use butter.   Coconut oil, incidentally, if you can find it without extra crap in it, is mostly saturated fat and is one of the very few exceptions to the "no vegetable oil" rule that can be used reasonably-liberally.  Be careful buying it however as much of it is stuffed full of hydrogenated crap which turns it into one of the worst instead of being in the "acceptable" column.  READ THE LABEL.

• Use all the spices you wish.  Virtually all of them are zero-carb and zero-calorie.  The same is true for hot sauces and such, but check the labels to make sure they're not stuffed full of sugars or hydrogenated oils.  Most are not but there are exceptions.

If you eat this way it is very hard to exceed 50g/carb a day.  As an example a cup of brussels sprouts has eight grams of carbs, only five of which count (3 are fiber and don't digest.)  If you eat a cup of those, two cups of broccoli flowers during the day in various snacks (8g more), one cup of green sweet pepper chopped up as a component of a main course or side for dinner (4g net) you'll have eaten quite a decent amount of vegetables yet you only consumed 17g of carbs net all day; you'd also have consumed just 108 calories.  You could triple that and still be ok on the carbs and yet have consumed just about 1/6th of your caloric intake requirement!

• Like 2

If you have insulin resistance, a fatty livery, heart disease, or if you eat the American diet (with opportunities and guidelines brought to you by those that poke your arm) you may be interested in this video: 

1 minute ago, YankeeSC said:

Therein lies the problem as we've been lied to by these people over the past 50 years about what a healthy diet is.

https://www.foodlies.org/

That is because for every diet out there, what part of it is good there's other parts that are bad. If you look at low carb diets they are high in fat. Low fat diets are high in carbs. If you want to be healthy you have to eat everything in moderation. Bread is good for you. There are good fats and bad fats. Lean meat and vegetables. Just have to be smart and what you eat, and portion control is the biggest part. That is where I have issues. I like my food and don't know when to quit.