Glockmeister

Handgun Permit question

I applied for  my combo FID/Handgun permit through the FARS system and waited for 8 months before I finally received it. I again applied a couple of weeks ago for 2X handgun permits because I was eyeing for 2 more handguns. I already purchased one (Black Friday discounts) and it's being held at the store until the permit is ready.

I emailed my PD today and I was told that the next permit's turnaround time is 1-2 months or longer after completion of all requirements. This frustrates me but nothing I can do much about it.

Is this the normal turnaround time even with an electronic system? My PD is Parsippany Troy Hills. 

Thanks for any insights. 

4 hours ago, Glockmeister said:

Is this the normal turnaround time even with an electronic system? My PD is Parsippany Troy Hills. 

Thanks for any insights. 

Turnaround time is anything the police chief in the town wants it to be.

Some do it in within 30 days.  

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

What you CAN do depends on what you WANT to do . . . I wouldn't tolerate the treatment for a P2P.  You've already been vetted and you will be vetted again with your NICS check once you get the permit.  The chief is just sitting on your permit.  There's no reason.

Contact the mayor . . . A friendly member of council anyone else that you like.  If we keep putting up with this crap we will continue to get more of it.

• Like 1

That's exactly what I thought. The vetting process is way overboard and does not make any sense at all. 

Maybe 1 week tops for the succeeding handgun permits is reasonable to me, but 1-2 months or longer per application? Whew. 

For better or worse, it really is up to the PD and their overall volume of requests. I feel like I got lucky in my time frame.

I agree it feels silly to get your FARS background check back-to-back with a NICS check which basically covers the same thing.

Best to always apply for five or six permits at once so you're not at a loss. They cost like $2 but the time lost with this process is much worse if you do end up wanting something.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

Best to always apply for five or six permits at once so you're not at a loss. They cost like $2 but the time lost with this process is much worse if you do end up wanting something.

Always apply for six permits, anything less is a waste of time. You can on paper buy six handguns every six months, with one handgun every 30 days. But with NICS taking more than a day, realistically you aren’t getting six. Always apply for six and when you are a month or two before the 180 day expiration date, go apply for six handguns. It’s all B.S but that’s how it is unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Glockmeister said:

The vetting process is way overboard and does not make any sense at all. 

Maybe 1 week tops for the succeeding handgun permits is reasonable to me, but 1-2 months or longer per application? Whew. 

You did it the right way, if you see a good deal buy it, then get the PP.

Otherwise there is pressure to buy something because the permit has an expiration date.

• Like 1