GRIZ

Let's talk about guns

I like what I’m reading about Springfield Armory’s reintroduction of the Browning High Power.  Most parts interchange with the originals, but they lost the mag disconnect and further refined the trigger, improved the sights, bobbed the hammer, made the safety more ergonomic, beveled the mag well, and came up with a new magazine follower that lets one get 15 rounds of 9 mm in a flush mount mag.  All for $699 MSRP.  AMERICAN Rifleman tested 3 types of ammo and all grouped around 1.8” at 25 yards.  I’m impressed!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 10X said:

I like what I’m reading about Springfield Armory’s reintroduction of the Browning High Power.  Most parts interchange with the originals, but they lost the mag disconnect and further refined the trigger, improved the sights, bobbed the hammer, made the safety more ergonomic, beveled the mag well, and came up with a new magazine follower that lets one get 15 rounds of 9 mm in a flush mount mag.  All for $699 MSRP.  AMERICAN Rifleman tested 3 types of ammo and all grouped around 1.8” at 25 yards.  I’m impressed!

@10X You stole my thunder! My first thought was to ask @GRIZ about that very pistol!  I just ordered one from my LGS. What say ye Griz about the new SA-35?

https://www.springfield-armory.com/sa-35-series-handguns/sa-35-handguns/sa-35-9mm-handgun/

35 minutes ago, 10X said:

came up with a new magazine follower that lets one get 15 rounds of 9 mm in a flush mount mag

They went with Mecgar for the mags. Mecgar have been making flush mount 15 rounders for quite a while. I had some before the nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, 10X said:

@JohnnyB I always thought highly of the Hi Power. Bought one in 1970 at the gun club in Germany. $85. About 25% of my monthly income at the time.  However, I couldn't bring it home because I was only 20. GCA 68.  I fired  105 howitzers, 8" howitzers, 175 guns, quad 50s, but no Hi Power for me. I sold it for $100. Not my best firearms deal.

@10X I'm in the market for one of those SA HI Powers!!!

Not related but I bought a base stainless steel Rolex for $190.  That went to fund my motorcycle in college. No regrets.

Still have a gold Mont Blanc.  One merely writes with a ballpoint, one makes a statement with a fountain pen..  Still use a fountain pen.  Not the Mont Blanc. Another thing that cost me 25% of my monthly earnings as a NCO!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

My next gun project is a Ruger 10/22. Currently acquiring parts. 
Bought a Tac-Sol 16” bull barrel, and have a Houge stock on the way. 

Eventually, this will be suppressed. 

62D825E7-BFA4-4298-BB9E-15061A07A004.jpeg

00970DC8-A69C-4C2E-A504-5FD4F4DF08E3.jpeg

@Displaced Texan I know a guy in his 80s.  Retired NYPD.  Long time instructor at Rodman's Neck. Long time varmint shooter who believed in the 22/250.  Fantastic revolversmith.  He built up a 10/22.  It impressed him more than anything else.

Good luck with your build!!!

I planned on purchasing 3 field grade garands from CMP. waited for 6 months. Finally received email. all field grade sold out, do you want to upgrade to service grade? More cash, but agreed.

Meanwhile I had been getting rebuild parts together. Criterian barrels, 1 new 30-06 and 1 new in 308.

Received garands and they are fantastic with original barrels! 1 has a 43 barrel gauges new!

So, I guess the criterians will be going!

2 hours ago, 15636215 said:

I planned on purchasing 3 field grade garands from CMP. waited for 6 months. Finally received email. all field grade sold out, do you want to upgrade to service grade? More cash, but agreed.

Meanwhile I had been getting rebuild parts together. Criterian barrels, 1 new 30-06 and 1 new in 308.

Received garands and they are fantastic with original barrels! 1 has a 43 barrel gauges new!

So, I guess the criterians will be going!

My best shooting Garand is a FG with a VAR barrel.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, 10X said:

He had a few issues but that could be early manufacturing problems that may work out eventually.

I'm going to wait a while before I get one.

Let's see, My small stable of full size 9's all sport 20 rd mags now. The CX4  is on standby  also with a 30 rd mag and 2- 20's packed on the stock. The 556's are loaded with 30 rds of greentips and I've divested myself of all things 7.62x54. The only new gun is on order, an lcp max that will replace my lcp2 pocket carry. I did take an hr ride to look at a Plainfeild M1 carbine but too much pitting, light rust and the wood was eh so I passed, so close!  They've all got so pricy too.. I  would've  made a play for it if it was nicer.. Also the local indoor range is very nice and inexpensive. I prefer outdoor and there is one almost an hr away. It's OK but I  really miss my old ground at Cherry Ridge!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

Let's talk about why Sig mags for my 2022 are $o dam expensive.  $49.00

That’s not dot bad. Imagine searching for a Belgium Browning BLR magazine and most on eBay are north of $250 each? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255269977088?hash=item3b6f46bc00:g:YaIAAOSwUHNhsnAF

On 12/7/2021 at 4:13 AM, GRIZ said:

My best shooting Garand is a FG with a VAR barrel.

I always liked the VARs and LMRs. But the Criterian barrels send them to another level!!

14 hours ago, silverado427 said:

Let's talk about why Sig mags for my 2022 are $o dam expensive.  $49.00

CZ mags too. A P07 mag typically is $40+ and I dbled that on one after putting a extension on for a 20rd cap. Funny because I recently grabbed a few 30 rd mags on sale for my CX4 that were $26 / free ship:D.  They also fit my 92, one day will load it with a 30, awkward but am curious to how it will shoot with the extra initail weight. More accurate follow ups by absorbing recoil or less accurate because of an imbalance. Inquiring minds want to know.

Pity the bullseye shooters.   Hammerli P240 mags are $165 each.  Hammerli 238 mags are $133.   Benelli MP95 mags are just $69, but they're very fragile, and the sole source importing them only brings in a batch once a year or so.

9 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

Waiting for the Ruger produced Marlin 30/30 to eventually come out.  Would like to get one of those.

The new Springfield High Power (the SA 35) has me intrigued as well.  

I'm looking forward to the SA High Power!!!

On 12/7/2021 at 12:08 AM, GRIZ said:

@JohnnyB I always thought highly of the Hi Power. Bought one in 1970 at the gun club in Germany. $85. About 25% of my monthly income at the time.  However, I couldn't bring it home because I was only 20. GCA 68.  I fired  105 howitzers, 8" howitzers, 175 guns, quad 50s, but no Hi Power for me. I sold it for $100. Not my best firearms deal.

@10X I'm in the market for one of those SA HI Powers!!!

Not related but I bought a base stainless steel Rolex for $190.  That went to fund my motorcycle in college. No regrets.

Still have a gold Mont Blanc.  One merely writes with a ballpoint, one makes a statement with a fountain pen..  Still use a fountain pen.  Not the Mont Blanc. Another thing that cost me 25% of my monthly earnings as a NCO!!!

Definitely nice, but I like the CZ 75 Single Action, too.