Cheflife15

Investment help

2 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Nice... One tip, if you put in $10K each today, you'll have to wait until after Jan. 1st to do the next $10K.

So actually only I was able to sign up today. She needs to mail a form? Something about her information wasn't able to be verified. Google says this has happened before with the website so it looks like she'll only get to do the 10k next year. 

Definitely debating a financial advisor for her. 

33 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

Edit:  simply seek the advice of a professional before investing money as important as this.   

I used this board as a way to get options and then spoke to a friend of mine at morgan stanley. He agrees based on our situation that the bond is the wisest

Care to at least explain your original post?

I am glad you got professional advice.  I am not a a professional advisor but I have make my living as a quantitative modeler for complex financial instruments and now data scientist for more than 30 years.  I shared some thoughts but came to the conclusion that why I have a lot experience investing, I shouldn't be giving financial advice because I don't know many things about you and your wife's circumstance.  For example,  income, risk tolerance, other assets and liabilities that you may have, your short and longer term goals.  I only know that you have about 40 grand that you may need to do something with in 2 years.  

Thus, as someone who understand the inherent risks in any type of investing I found that the only valuable thing I could actually say was to seek the help of someone who is a licensed professional and has all the appropriate information to give you the best advice possible.  

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Sniper said:

What did he originally post?

Easy, I posted what I believed best and gave some thoughts.  Then realized I'm in no position to advise someone because that's not what I do, and I don't know anything about his situation.  The original post also said take this advice for what you paid for it and seek the help of a professional advisor.  After ruminating on it for a bit I though the only reasonable bit was to ask a pro for help.  

My second post explained why I retracted my thoughts.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

Easy, I posted what I believed best and gave some thoughts.  Then realized I'm in no position to advise someone because that's not what I do, and I don't know anything about his situation.  The original post also said take this advice for what you paid for it and seek the help of a professional advisor.  After ruminating on it for a bit I though the only reasonable bit was to ask a pro for help.  

This probably goes for most of us. I've read many of his posts and I think the Chef is smart enough to know that he shouldn't make critical investment ( or any life decisions) based solely on feedback from an internet gun forum. This is just a place to get ideas and experience of others.

Standard disclaimers apply. YMMV

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, leahcim said:

This probably goes for most of us. I've read many of his posts and I think the Chef is smart enough to know that he shouldn't make critical investment ( or any life decisions) based solely on feedback from an internet gun forum. This is just a place to get ideas and experience of others.

Standard disclaimers apply. YMMV

Yes I would hope that's the case but didn't want to be responsible for separating someone from the hard earned cash!  :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

No worries. I just wanted to use this as a thread for investing ideas.  All ideas can be on the table and ultimately researched before making any decisions. 

22 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

It's totally cool,  I just wanted to use this as a thread to discuss different possible investment ideas.  Seeking the advice from a professional is a fair response as is your explanation. 

Thank you for your opinion regardless. I only brought it up because I thought maybe it could be added to a list of possible ideas.

I'm content with my choice as it does exactly what I need it to do.  It protects my principle while keeping up with inflation.

I hope you all have a great new years!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, leahcim said:

Just coming back to post that. We just use these forums as a way to spin ideas and get different opinions. At the end of the day, everyone is personally responsible for their final decision.

3 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

Yes I would hope that's the case but didn't want to be responsible for separating someone from the hard earned cash!  :)

So, why do you think the I bonds are a bad decision?

• Agree 1

And white I recommend professional advisors (especially fee only), I still recommend everyone learn as much as possible about your investments and goals, understand your investment, risk, personal risk tolerance, and do your own research. Even if you hire a professional, you will always be your own best advocate.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Just coming back to post that. We just use these forums as a way to spin ideas and get different opinions. At the end of the day, everyone is personally responsible for their final decision.

So, why do you think the I bonds are a bad decision?

I don't necessarily, but I get concerned when I don't have any details about a circumstance and make snap decisions which I felt that's what I did.  Not a huge deal I just wanted to be considerate of the gravity  Cheflife's situation.  

1 minute ago, Rob0115 said:

I don't necessarily I get concerned when I don't have any details about a circumstance and make snap decisions which I felt that's what I did.  Not a huge deal I just wanted to be considerate of the gravity  Cheflife's situation.  

That's totally fair. I appreciate that. I didn't bring up the post to put you In a weird spot. I just thought we could continue to add to the thread, and if a great point was made I wouldn't add the rest come 2022.

Thank you all for your input!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, leahcim said:

And white I recommend professional advisors (especially fee only), I still recommend everyone learn as much as possible about your investments and goals, understand your investment, risk, personal risk tolerance, and do your own research. Even if you hire a professional, you will always be your own best advocate.

Absolutely agree. I have four different finance guys, but I still spend every morning  bouncing around all the different finance and business TV and media sites, to get varied opinions on what's going on. You can never have enough information. I even don't take the single advice of any one of my financial advisors, because, opinions are like a'holes... everybody has one.

At the end of the day, the financial decisions I make are 100% my problem.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

I don't necessarily but I get concerned when I don't have any details about a circumstance and make snap decisions which I felt that's what I did.  Not a huge deal I just wanted to be considerate of the gravity  Cheflife's situation.  

All cool... the best part of these forums, no matter what the topic, is the ability to bounce around different ideas, in hopes it helps someone think of something they missed. Hopefully, no one goes out, no matter what the topic, and blindly makes a decision, without some personal reflection or due diligence.

Just because "you read it on the Internet, doesn't make it true".  :pardon:

• Like 1

US Treasury Series I Savings Bonds (iBonds) made their semiannual rate adjustment for inflation on May 1.  

Thanks to BidInflation, these bonds are now paying 9.62%, the highest rate ever for such bonds.  Until May 1, they had been paying 7.12%, which at that time was the highest rate ever.  

That's a remarkable return for a federally-insured investment.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, 10X said:

US Treasury Series I Savings Bonds (iBonds) made their semiannual rate adjustment for inflation on May 1.  

Thanks to BidInflation, these bonds are now paying 9.62%, the highest rate ever for such bonds.  Until May 1, they had been paying 7.12%, which at that time was the highest rate ever.  

That's a remarkable return for a federally-insured investment.

Wait until the next reset.  After several .50 Fed rate hikes.  Maybe one or two .75 thrown in for good measure becuase the .50 hikes are most likely too little too late.

On 12/31/2021 at 10:29 AM, Rob0115 said:

Someone who understand the inherent risks in any type of investing I found that the only valuable thing I could actually say was to seek the help of someone who is a licensed professional and has all the appropriate information to give you the best advice possible. 

The below isn't aimed or a jab at Rob0115 but rather the mentality that by simply seeking out "professionals" you'll be somehow safer or better off. 

Madoff was a "licensed" investement "professional". 

Jordan Belfort (the individual the movie "The Wolf Of Wall Street" was based on) was a "licensed" investement "professional".  As were all the people who worked for him and who work in real world Boiler Room / chop houses that exist.

All the people who were assigning AAA ratings to utterly crap MBSs (Mortgage Backed Securities) and CDOs (Collateral Debt Obligations) and all the "experts" trading them  in the early 2000s up until the implosion of the housing market,  the subsequent destruction of one of Wall Street's most iconic firms (Lehman Brothers) and the near total meltdown of the entire world's financial markets were mostly "licensed" investement "professionals" or at the least highly educated individuals.

I'm not saying seeking out a "professional" opinion and advise isn't sometimes warranted but you REALLY need to be VERY CAREFUL which "professional" you choose to listen to.  

And you should ALWAYS try to educate yourself somewhat.  Obviously some areas of expertise may be more diffult to familiarize yourself with (cancer treatments come to mind) but it doesn't mean you sholdn't try.  And you would be amazed at what you can learn and accomplish when you really want to know something.

Many, many, MANY moons ago I started out as a "fully licensed investement professional".  I was shocked at some of the "advice" given and the investments some of my "peers" placed people in.  Let's just say in several cases the brokers were thinking more about how much they were going to be paid and how much their trailers were going to be rather than how good of an investment they were offering to their client.

Also, how many "experts" would tell us that only "professionals" should own and handle firearms?  I bet MANY individuals on this forum started out having little to no knowledge of firearms.  But through research and real world experience you may now be considered quite knowledgeable about firearms.

Investing your money isn't any different.  Buy some GOOD books that will teach you the fundamentals.  Or just check them out for free from your local library.  Nobody is going to know more about your goals, risk tolerance and time horizons than you.  And you will ALWAYS but your own interests first.  It aint' rocket science.  Not even close.

A final note on finacial experts.  The top performing money managers generally aren't at the top for very long and they generally aren't the same ones year after year.  Index funds OUTPERFORM something like 95% (possibly higher??) of money managers and financial experts every year.  

Sorry for the long winded post.  In summation, read some books.  Watch some informational Youtube videos.  And then DO.  Invest.  Open a mutual fund account or a brokerage account.  Start slow but be steady and consistent.  Never investment more than  you are willing to lose.  Ask questions but try to find the answers yourself.  Be the ball.

15 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

Wait until the next reset.  After several .50 Fed rate hikes.  Maybe one or two .75 thrown in for good measure becuase the .50 hikes are most likely too little too late.

Interesting. Will that be before the end of the year?