Lawnmower2021

Any fun next handgun suggestions?

Hey all,

So far I have a Beretta 92X and a S&W Model 66, which are both fantastic. I'm starting to adore the tactile feel of revolvers.

Any suggestions of what to consider next? I'd rather avoid esoteric cartridges if possible and stick to things that are most common.

Is it time to get a 22LR revolver and lever action to live out my inner cowboy? Or does someone have a counter suggestion? :D Fun AND practical is also a plus.

Ruger makes a very fun, and very affordable 22lr single action revolver called the Wrangler.  There were a lot of skeptics when it first came out because it has an aluminum frame and Cerakoat finish, but the doubting didn't last long.  It sports a cold hammer forged barrel which are known for their accuracy.  It's as basic a revolver you can get.  They basically copied the Single Six using more modern and cost effective materials and methods.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/prodimages/61513-DEFAULT-l.jpg

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Ruger makes a very fun, and very affordable 22lr single action revolver called the Wrangler.  There were a lot of skeptics when it first came out because it has an aluminum frame and Cerakoat finish, but the doubting didn't last long.  It sports a cold hammer forged barrel which are known for their accuracy.  It's as basic a revolver you can get.  They basically copied the Single Six using more modern and cost effective materials and methods.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/prodimages/61513-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Beat ya to it! :rofl: 

Great minds and all that…

2 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Ruger Wrangler .22 (Colt SAA style revolver)

I haven’t had this much fun with a pistol in a long time. Absolute blast and it’s under $200.

Looking for a holster for it now.

HE I picked up a Wrangler earlier this year, still haven't shot it unfortunately, but I picked up this holster for it. Some great reviews led me to it. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086Q1Z1TM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not my image, but this is the version I purchased. Ruger Wrangler Review: First Impressions | Grand View Outdoors

27 minutes ago, InFamous said:

HE I picked up a Wrangler earlier this year, still haven't shot it unfortunately, but I picked up this holster for it. Some great reviews led me to it. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086Q1Z1TM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I picked one up for the same reason.  I have had mine out at the range several times; they are great shooters.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

Lot of love for Rugers! Did you guys do anything to adjust the sights on the wrangler?

I didn't realize Walther made a 22lr 1911, that's interesting!

4 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Sights aren't adjustable on the wrangler.

Mine didn’t need any tweaking. Easily hit 8” steel at 50 yards all day long.

3 hours ago, InFamous said:

Not my image, but this is the version I purchased. Ruger Wrangler Review: First Impressions | Grand View Outdoors

I have the same burnt bronze version as well. I’d like to find wood grips for it.

Thanks for the holster recommendation. I’ll check it out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

Lot of love for Rugers! Did you guys do anything to adjust the sights on the wrangler?

I didn't realize Walther made a 22lr 1911, that's interesting!

Mine is dead-on; no adjustment needed

2 hours ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

That's actually reassuring. I've considered the Vaquero which has to be filed down and that bugs me.

The wranglers seem pretty easy to find. I'm going to my nearest shop tomorrow for some inspiration.

You probably would consider filing the front sight only if you were stuck on using a specific bullet weight. You can alter your impact by testing with different bullet weights. Ammunition availability is your enemy right now. 

Ruger Single Six 3-screw and 2-screw are fun guns that will last a lifetime. I don't know anything about the Wrangler but it is popular. 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 4:10 PM, CMJeepster said:

I actually really enjoy the Walther P22 that I picked up in the spring of 2020, although I tend to rip through ammo at a greater pace than when I shoot other calibers.  Fun plinker in normal times.

I have the PPQ in .22lr and I must say it is very fun for a plinker. My goto is my HKVP9

I fondled a single-six yesterday. It's comfy, with a satisfying hammer cock. Though I quickly learned what a PITA it is to load a single action only revolver. :D

I think though practicality might win and I'll go with a striker-fired 9mm to complement my Beretta. The wranglers aren't going anywhere.

I'll report back :) I might pick up a Henry lever action to get my 22LR fix.

2 hours ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

I think though practicality might win and I'll go with a striker-fired 9mm

You're going to go broke with all that practicality.  A rimfire SA revolver is only impractical for something like self defense, it has TONS of practicality otherwise.  It's cheap to shoot, and the mechanics promote concentration on trigger discipline because you aren't going pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-pew.  A SA revolver will make you a better shooter.  In my book, that's very practical.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

You're going to go broke with all that practicality.  A rimfire SA revolver is only impractical for something like self defense, it has TONS of practicality otherwise.  It's cheap to shoot, and the mechanics promote concentration on trigger discipline because you aren't going pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-pew.  A SA revolver will make you a better shooter.  In my book, that's very practical.

This is good advice.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

On 12/14/2021 at 8:52 PM, Scorpio64 said:

Alright, alright... I give in. After a few months of thinking about it, I just went and bought a single six. :) I chose it over the "new model" in the same shop because I like the feeling of the action more. Very easy and smooth cocking.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

Alright, alright... I give in. After a few months of thinking about it, I just went and bought a single six. :) I chose it over the "new model" in the same shop because I like the feeling of the action more. Very easy and smooth cocking.

You sir, have excellent taste!  Enjoy!:)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

Enjoy

• Thanks 1