Jump to content
SJG

Will NJ adopt the same tactic Calif is about to Use?

Recommended Posts

56 minutes ago, SJG said:

Newsom says he will use Texas abortion law tactics to restrict assault weapons (nbcnews.com).  

You can bet that the Gov here will be on board with this tactic

Yes.  And he basically announced as such two weeks ago.  Saying a focus on suing manufacturers.  Everyone thought he meant like CT but I’m better he was thinking CA.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So basically... people in California won't be able to buy parts for guns?

There's a foreseeable future where people end up paying a premium for their new handgun with microstamping, only to have to throw it away when the micro stamp wears out because they can't buy a new firing pin. 

No retailer that sells anything gun-related would want to sell to CA out of fear of being sued. Even Amazon sells things like grips and choke tubes... I guess no more Amazon in CA!

Quote

"If that's the precedent then we'll let Californian's sue those who put ghost guns and assault weapons on our streets," Newsom wrote in a separate tweet shared to Twitter.

Sue the gangs!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of us argued a couple of months ago that the particular TX abortion law referred to was going to have bad, unintended consequences. So, Newsome's play here is not a  surprising development. And it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Murphy try something similar.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Some of us argued a couple of months ago that the particular TX abortion law referred to was going to have bad, unintended consequences. So, Newsome's play here is not a  surprising development. And it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Murphy try something similar.

take a look here, looks like NJ and CA are trying to one-up each other

https://nj2as.org/nj-proposes-law-to-criminalize-nj2as-and-you/

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

You think that Ca (or name your anti gun state) wouldn’t try to sue manufacturers, or retailers anyways? 
 

That’s long been the goal…regardless of the Texas abortion law. 

What the Texas law did is push some of that power over to uninvolved citizens. To my non-lawyer understanding, any citizen would essentially be granted legal standing to bring suit for an act that has basically nothing to do with them directly. Yes, I know anyone can sue anyone at any time, but that law gave it some teeth & less likelihood that nuisance suits would be tossed. 

I knew when that was first proposed that it was an awful can of worms to open up, especially if that was then directed against rights like the 2A! Can you imagine... some amped up Bloomsburg activists being given what is essentially a license to harass the 2A community? Mmm...yeah, I don't think this is a good trend at all.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2021 at 6:42 PM, Lawnmower2021 said:

So basically... people in California won't be able to buy parts for guns?

There's a foreseeable future where people end up paying a premium for their new handgun with microstamping, only to have to throw it away when the micro stamp wears out because they can't buy a new firing pin. 

No retailer that sells anything gun-related would want to sell to CA out of fear of being sued. Even Amazon sells things like grips and choke tubes... I guess no more Amazon in CA!

Sue the gangs!

Assuming you had a handgun with a microstamped pin, and the stamping wore out, why would you voluntarily fix the "problem" by any means? If there has been some suggestion that NJSP are going to go around inspecting handguns to ensure that the stamp remains clear on the fired casing. If they seriously envision that working, they are even crazier than I thought. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, samiam said:

If there has been some suggestion that NJSP are going to go around inspecting handguns to ensure that the stamp remains clear on the fired casing. If they seriously envision that working, they are even crazier than I thought. 

Just like when the NJSP went around inspecting magazines after October 2018 to make sure no one was bringing 15 rounders to the range, and everyone was using 10 rounders?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, samiam said:

Assuming you had a handgun with a microstamped pin, and the stamping wore out, why would you voluntarily fix the "problem" by any means?...

 

2 hours ago, Sniper said:

Just like when the NJSP went around inspecting magazines after October 2018 to make sure no one was bringing 15 rounders to the range, and everyone was using 10 rounders?

Yeah, though this is impossible to enforce—even compared to magazine limits—people would surely do all in their knowledge to comply. 

Quote

The consequences of being convicted for possessing a large capacity magazine with over 10 rounds is a potential 18-month prison sentence, probation, community service, and a $10,000.00 fine. Violation of the law is a fourth degree indictable crime.

Not sure if the consequences are available yet for microstamping but... isn't that nutty? That's more serious than it usually is for people that are caught with illegal guns!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And here we go:

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2021/s9227

"PURPOSE: The purpose of this bill is to create a private cause of action for violations of state law concerning firearms that is exclusively enforced by private person lawsuits, an enforcement concept sanctioned by the U.S. Supreme Court in Whole Woman's Health v Jackson."

  • FacePalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...