LennonGuy

New here, hope you guys can help!

Just signed up and I already see a lot of threads that look like great reading!

How did I find this forum?

Tonight I was organizing some paperwork, having just purchased some rifles, and completed my on-line app to secure permits to buy two more handguns.....

That's when the "problem" arose!

I was inserting the registration paperwork for the rifles into my firearms folder, and discovered that I am missing my copy of my handgun purchase permits for two of my handguns.

I have NO idea why they aren't with the others, but at my age I have misplaced lots of important papers!

My question is....how dire is this predicament?  Is it absolutely critical that I have a copy of the purchase permit for every handgun I own?  (They were legally purchased with the right permits when I bought them) These are for two handguns I bought years (at least 10-15 years) ago, and honestly, I haven't seen them in years, but I haven't actually looked for them either, until today.  (I would have sworn they were right in the file with the others.)

So anyway, should I be highly concerned, or not care, or something in-between? Is the purchase permit something I could be demanded to produce, and suffer penalty of some kind if I can't?

I don't want to stress about it if I don't need to, but if I do have a problem, suggestions to resolve would be greatly appreciated!

10 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Nothing to worry about!  The state and your city PD both have a copy. You don't need a copy to own or sell the handguns in question!:)

Thanks for the fast response! To be honest I got myself all stressed out about it. Is there any scenario where I could be asked to produce them? Not interested in selling them, but if I want to take them to the range, etc, etc. Or maybe some other situation I am not thinking of?

9 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Nothing to worry about!  The state and your city PD both have a copy. You don't need a copy to own or sell the handguns in question!:)

Yeah, I always heard the warnings that "you'd better not lose your copy...or else" but I never understood why.  If state AND local PD have it then it makes no sense that there would be some mysterious penalty if i couldn't produce mine.

I think it' the beaten-dog syndrome that we face in NJ...

35 minutes ago, PK90 said:

The P2P and FPID are permits to purchase, not possess.

Two thirds right.

PtPP is a permit to purchase a pistol (and can be used to buy handgun ammo). It confers no permission to possess a handgun.

FPIC is a permit to purchase rifles and shotguns

FPIC is also a permit to possess unloaded rifles and shotguns

• Like 1

"I think it' the beaten-dog syndrome that we face in NJ..."

Well said!

Good Morning Gentlemen!

I really appreciate the feedback on this subject. I suppose having LEO friends and seeing how things can go very sideways sometimes, even when the best intentions are there, I am just a little paranoid about getting myself in a bad situation, considering how seriously firearms violations can affect one's life.

I don't have a very large collection.....a few handguns (two more as soon as my permits come back approved) and some long arms, (just added a few more over the weekend) and I don't get the practice I should anymore. I used to really enjoy going to the range and would blow through a couple hundred dollars worth of ammo each time. Then "life got in the way" and that time and related expense had to be set aside. I'm ready to get back into it as I did before, or at least a lot more than it has been anyway. And I want to make sure I am doing it right, and don't find myself in a situation that could turn out badly for me. The help I'm finding here from all of you is deeply appreciated!

• Like 1

If you really feel the need to have copies of the two missing HG permits - contact the Admin office of the PD where they were issues. Ask them if you can get a copy for your records? I'm sure within a week or two they can get you copied to p/u.

Good Luck!

8 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

Two thirds right.

PtPP is a permit to purchase a pistol (and can be used to buy handgun ammo). It confers no permission to possess a handgun.

FPIC is a permit to purchase rifles and shotguns

FPIC is also a permit to possess unloaded rifles and shotguns

2/3 right also.  The Firearms ID card is a permit to purchase AND CARRY (not just possess)rifles and shotguns pursuant to all the other bullshit regulations you must follow.

19 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

2/3 right also.  The Firearms ID card is a permit to purchase AND CARRY (not just possess)rifles and shotguns pursuant to all the other bullshit regulations you must follow.

The wording of the statute says possess, not carry. I would argue they mean the same thing as there is no stipulation as to where you may be possessing the rifle or shotgun.

2C:39-5  Unlawful possession of weapons...

c.   Rifles and shotguns.  (1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

(2)   Unless otherwise permitted by law, any person who knowingly has in his possession any loaded rifle or shotgun is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

12 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

The wording of the statute says possess, not carry. I would argue they mean the same thing as there is no stipulation as to where you may be possessing the rifle or shotgun.

2C:39-5  Unlawful possession of weapons...

c.   Rifles and shotguns.  (1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

(2)   Unless otherwise permitted by law, any person who knowingly has in his possession any loaded rifle or shotgun is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

My NJ FPID card states "Is hereby granted permission to purchase and carry rifles and shotguns pursuant to provisions of N.J.S. 2C:58-3 and 2C:39-5 with amendments and supplements"

44 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

My NJ FPID card states "Is hereby granted permission to purchase and carry rifles and shotguns pursuant to provisions of N.J.S. 2C:58-3 and 2C:39-5 with amendments and supplements"

So did mine before I had to change addresses.  I questioned the new card and was told that it still meant "carry" even though it was no longer listed as such on the new cards. 

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

So did mine before I had to change addresses.  I questioned the new card and was told that it still meant "carry" even though it was no longer listed as such on the new cards. 

Yes,  The Statute did not change they just removed that line so as not to remind the bearer that he has that right! FNJ!

2 hours ago, JT Custom Guns said:

If you really feel the need to have copies of the two missing HG permits - contact the Admin office of the PD where they were issues. Ask them if you can get a copy for your records? I'm sure within a week or two they can get you copied to p/u.

Good Luck!

I'd only feel the need to have copies if I really have to have them. If not, then, not. I guess that's really my question. Do I actually need them, or do I just "feel" I need them? If I don't actually need them I am not going to worry about it.