kc17

Citizens Defense Training in Pa

I like to look at the “about me/us” of the trainers….discounting all the “nra certified instructor disciplines” bs…… the wording of the experience that would qualify them to teach anything aside how to safely handle a weapon seems rather odd…”my background includes training received from US military personnel from NAVSPECWAR, US Army SF, and Special Mission Units. Dedicated to providing solid grounding in the basics with Christian integrity.”  
    The way I read that is he took classes by these individuals …taking a carbine class from a person who took a class from xxx …. Skip this guy go to xxx 

• Informative 1

7 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

This is the first I've heard of them.  What class or classes are you considering taking?

I was thinking of either Intro to Defensive AR, Conceal Carry or Level II Defensive Handgun. Leaning towards the AR or CC. I have not taken any AR classes yet. 

Prices are reasonable, $200 for any of them. 

7 hours ago, pjd832 said:

I like to look at the “about me/us” of the trainers….discounting all the “nra certified instructor disciplines” bs…… the wording of the experience that would qualify them to teach anything aside how to safely handle a weapon seems rather odd…”my background includes training received from US military personnel from NAVSPECWAR, US Army SF, and Special Mission Units. Dedicated to providing solid grounding in the basics with Christian integrity.”  
    The way I read that is he took classes by these individuals …taking a carbine class from a person who took a class from xxx …. Skip this guy go to xxx 

Interesting interpretation, I did not read it that way originally, but I can see your take on it. 

2 hours ago, kc17 said:

I was thinking of either Intro to Defensive AR, Conceal Carry or Level II Defensive Handgun. Leaning towards the AR or CC. I have not taken any AR classes yet. 

Prices are reasonable, $200 for any of them. 

Interesting interpretation, I did not read it that way originally, but I can see your take on it. 

It’s one of my pet peeves, there’s been an explosion in demand for training in the last 5-10 years…. And while there are no shortage of excellent real world verifiable options there is also the other side of the coin, the hustlers looking for easy money. 

I’ve come across some local ones (tri state area) using SLIGHTLY modified Special Operations patches as their business logo.. offering all types of “tactical” training,  wearing bdu’s (they bought from a gun show) and barking like the DI’s at MCRD San Diego all the while they’ve never done any of it for real.

not to say that every instructor for every discipline would need to be a door kicking operator, but if you did want that type of training you’d want that person instructing you not someone watching YouTube videos or may have taken a class from one of those people and trying to regurgitate what he can remember, and putting his own twist on it. And the line about “Christian integrity” seems really odd to me, in my experience it’s a red flag anytime someone has felt the need to push how honest/how much integrity they have most times it’s a guilty conscience….actions speak  than words…. “I’m Christian” is additionally trying to validate themselves/get the identity enrollment.. just odd to me

My personal opinion…much like I wouldnt be seeking/following medical diagnosis/advice from a plumber, no way would I be taking ttp type training from someone not capable of giving you what they are selling. But as I mentioned … basic stuff like safety etc sure, required training for licenses etc sure…but if they venture into the “tactical”/legal side in those classes I’d ignore it as no info is better than bad info. 

I was thinking about this about more on my drive into work.

All Instructors have to learn from someone. I'm an Instructor by profession and have surpassed other Instructors that have taught me. It's also not feasible to always get to the "top dog" so to speak. There's also people that can do, but not teach and those that teach because they cannot do. The rarer breed are those that can do both. 

A blurb on someone's website will never tell the entire story. We must rely on reviews, which the internet have made easier to find, but also harder to get vetted reviews. That's clearly while I created the post here. I found his business through a Pa forum, I haven't dug through there looking for more reviews yet. I will be doing that as well, I just got sidetracked. 

I also agree with him mentioning the Christian thing. I have known plenty of people who consider themselves Christian but are very untrustworthy and "un-Christian-like". I also know plenty of people that either never disclose their beliefs or are agnostic or atheist who are more honest, trustworthy and all around better people. But that topic is an entire different thing altogether. 

My search for semi-local and quality training will continue. Living in such an anti State/Region surely doesn't give us a large selection of companies.