ESB

Change LOP on a fixed stock

Is there a way to legally change where a fixed stock is located on the buffer tube?  Right now, its pushed all the way in and a little too short for me.  Would like to set it where I want it and then keep it there and still be legal. 

1 hour ago, ESB said:

Is there a way to legally change where a fixed stock is located on the buffer tube?  Right now, its pushed all the way in and a little too short for me.  Would like to set it where I want it and then keep it there and still be legal. 

Whoever did the compliance work for you when you took possession of the gun should be able to rectify the situation. 

Depending on how they did compliance work, could be as simple as removing a roll pin and drilling a new hole. Ive always done my own because it is so simple, you'd have to work hard to screw it up. Course, I built my own, so I had option of doing it however I wanted. I went cheap and simple, cost me a few minutes time and a 15c roll pin.

57 minutes ago, ESB said:

Its a NJ compliant post ban rifle from Dark Storm. Came brand new with the fixed stock in this position.  

Dark Storm DS-15 Typhoon Post Ban 5.56 Rifle Black DS15-TYP-PB5-BLK (dark-storm.com)  

So you have that exact configuration? If so that’s the magpul fixed carbine stock and it can’t be adjusted. You’d have to get a new stock and pin it where you want 

if you’re saying you’ve already swapped that out then all the other posters’ wisdom applies

9 minutes ago, ESB said:

That is the exact config I have with the Magpul fixed stock.  I have not swapped any parts out.  

Does it have to be pinned or does a screw that requires tools to remove OK?  

My buddy has the same stock. He backed it out to his liking and drilled into the lower part of the buffer tube to keep it fixed. He only used the existing bolt and nut but if you paranoid have at it and add a roll pin. 

8 hours ago, ESB said:

That is the exact config I have with the Magpul fixed stock.  I have not swapped any parts out.  

Does it have to be pinned or does a screw that requires tools to remove OK?  

I’m going from memory because I don’t have that stock any more but I think there is a clamp that is fastened with a screw up by the castle nut. Since the screw can only go through there where the position selector rail doesn’t exist, there is no way to move the stock back without drilling said rail. 

as long as you’re willing and able to do that modification I’m sure it would be sufficiently “fixed”. But if it was me I’d get a new stock. 

Understood. I have a few of the Magpul Fixed Carbine Stocks. I also have the extended insert that gives you an extra half inch of LOP - https://magpul.com/firearm-accessories/stocks/stock-accessories/prs-extended-rubber-buttpad.html?mp_global_color=118

However - it sounds like 1/2” is not enough adjustment for the OP, so his only option is to remove the Magpul fixed Stock and replace it with something else and have it fixed.

When the OP removes the Magpul Fixed Carbine Stock there should be a standard receiver extension underneath.

For $30 you can get a Magpul MOE stock and a Strike Ind. Stock Stop and set the LOP exactly where you want it without pinning anything.

That’s the cheapest, easiest, cleanest solution I can think of that will let the OP play with LOP til he gets it where he wants it.

• Like 1