silverado427

Color fill

I've done it with testors model paint. It's not difficult, just tab a toothpick into the paint then into the roll mark. Once roll mark is filled lightly wide over and around the roll mark with paint thinner, testors as well, on a q-tip or paper towel. Then let dry.

20190115_142451.thumb.jpg.97e9b6acde05980f78c35ec527dbaf1c.jpg

Used testors paint as well...holds up alright if you degreased before applying and if you never clean/oil the exterior of the receiver. 

Once you apply oil, the degradation starts only because you have to rub/wipe so if you do go through with it, try not to rub hard or not at all or it will fade/chip off.   

pros:  looks cool at first

cons:  not very easy to fill in with precision and to wipe off any excess cleanly.  Must use caution to not inadvertently get any of the colors to bleed into each other (white and red) unless you're going for pink roll marks.  Also it doesn't last if you wipe down the receiver often with oil and obviously any solvents.  

Conclusion:  not worth the time and effort..and the cost of the paint.  Can buy a box of ammo instead.  

Nail polish, aka Tactical Paint as @DeerSlayer would call it. 

No photo description available.

Then just lightly wipe with non acetone nail polish remover and a cotton swab. Works great and lasts a very long time. It's very forgiving, just slop it on. Let it dry. Wipe off the excess. Repeat if necessary. 

1 hour ago, Dooly said:

Yep.  Must clean/degrease thoroughly first.

Out of curiosity, how did you cure the cerakote job?

I've only used their H series, which requires oven cure at 250f for a couple hours. Their C series is an air cure, but both require the same prep. 

Prepping the parts is the biggest hurdle tho, I degrease with an acetone dunk, flash in the oven to pull more oil out, degrease again,  flash again and repeat until oil spots are gone. Then sand blast the part with aluminum oxide. Then apply paint. 

If you have a decent size air compressor, and space for a small Eastwood blasting cabinet, and vivosun grow tent you can vent outside, the cost of these items is less than paying someone for a rifle cerakote job. 

Learning curve isn't too bad, and any mistakes you just send the part back to blasting after a partial cure in the oven. 

If you want any paint to stick, and the rilfe has previously had oil on it, you really need to flash it in the oven. Solvents work good, but roll marks will still hold onto it in the corners of the crevices. 

It's taken me 3-4 flashes to get all the oil out of dust cover indents. 

If I flash anything in the oven, it better be some meatloaf or a casserole otherwise my wife will kick my ass.

You should see her reaction whenever I use hoppes in the shop...not even attached to the house!

1 hour ago, InFamous said:

Nail polish, aka Tactical Paint as @DeerSlayer would call it. 

Then just lightly wipe with non acetone nail polish remover and a cotton swab. Works great and lasts a very long time. It's very forgiving, just slop it on. Let it dry. Wipe off the excess. Repeat if necessary. 

Try doing a color fill like this...   you'll discover it's not that easy.

SmartSelect_20220629-155718_Samsung Internet.jpg

4 minutes ago, Dooly said:

Try doing a color fill like this...   you'll discover it's not that easy.

SmartSelect_20220629-155718_Samsung Internet.jpg

I like! Maybe I'll go buy white and blue nail polish tomorrow. I have red somewhere already. Just gotta tape the SHIELD when painting the M&P and vice versa. Can't be that bad.

I'd approach it with extreme care...meaning wait till either the red or white cures first then after 2-3 days at least, move on to the next color and be sure to use blue painters tape.

Don't let ANY of the colors bleed into each other.   

1 hour ago, Dooly said:

If I flash anything in the oven, it better be some meatloaf or a casserole otherwise my wife will kick my ass.

You should see her reaction whenever I use hoppes in the shop...not even attached to the house!

lol, that's nothing compared to the smell of cerakote baking... talk about being banned from the kitchen. I haven't painted a gun since 2019 because I need to find a new method other than the kitchen oven.