Lawnmower2021

Decent lever-action 22lr?

The big 3 are Winchester, Marlin and Henry!  I would say you are okay to buy a used rifle, go Winchester.  There are tons of Winchester .22LR lever guns in the used market that are like new but better built than some of the crap made today.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

The big 3 are Winchester, Marlin and Henry!  I would say you are okay to buy a used rifle, go Winchester.  There are tons of Winchester .22LR lever guns in the used market that are like new but better built than some of the crap made today.

You left out Browning's BL-22. 

Winchester 9422's, if you can find them, are selling for more than $1,000 these days. You might find a ratty one for $750-$800 if you're lucky. 

Winchester Rifles - Model 9422 for sale (gunsinternational.com) 

24 minutes ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

Thanks for the feedback guys! I saw a used Marlin at a local shop for ~800, though the stock's a bit beat up. I forget the model, but I'll give it another look to see if it's worth it or not. I'll check out more Winchesters to compare.

Marlin made more than 2 million 39’s, Winchester made 600,000 9422’s. The Browning BL-22 is still in production. 

12 hours ago, FairbanksRusty said:

Marlin made more than 2 million 39’s, Winchester made 600,000 9422’s. The Browning BL-22 is still in production. 

My preferences would be in the following order after the Marlin; Winchester (if I could find a reasonably priced 9422M), Browning, then Henry. 

I love my basic Henry H001 - it eats anything (even Winchester*, mostly!), it is always fun to shoot, and it brings out smiles (or at least grins) to anyone else who shoots it, too.  Pretty sure I paid $325 for mine, but that was 7-9 years ago.  I'm sure there are plenty of better levers out there, but it satisfies my itch for a lever gun and makes me happy whenever I shoot it or even handle it.

*Winchester rimfire ammo has been trash in so many of my guns, I'll never buy any more of it again.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Malice4you said:

I love my basic Henry H001 - it eats anything (even Winchester*, mostly!), it is always fun to shoot, and it brings out smiles (or at least grins) to anyone else who shoots it, too.  Pretty sure I paid $325 for mine, but that was 7-9 years ago.  I'm sure there are plenty of better levers out there, but it satisfies my itch for a lever gun and makes me happy whenever I shoot it or even handle it.

*Winchester rimfire ammo has been trash in so many of my guns, I'll never buy any more of it again.

I just ordered a H001T actually :) WIll report back how I like it! Between that and my single six, I might start feeling like a cowboy...

43 minutes ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

I just ordered a H001T actually :) WIll report back how I like it! Between that and my single six, I might start feeling like a cowboy...

You are gonna love your Henry. My Henry is the rifle I always bring to the WMA ranges