ESB

Transporting rifle/shotgun in RV

Can you transport a rifle or shotgun in your RV if you are just going camping/travelling and not hunting or going to a range?   Basically for protection.  Any legalities or things to consider?  Assume it is a 50 state legal long gun, and the place you are visiting allows it.  I'm more concerned with travelling through non-free states with it.  

1 hour ago, ESB said:

Assume it is a 50 state legal long gun, and the place you are visiting allows it.  I'm more concerned with travelling through non-free states with it.  

In NJ, if you have FID, you should be OK. In some other Blue states (MD, NY, MA, etc.) don't know. I wanted to transport a handgun with me in my RV, since I can carry in like 35 states. But I have to drive through some Blue states to get to the Red ones, and don't want to take the chance of getting caught.

Yeah that's why I don't want to transport a handgun.  Thinking something like a 18.5" semi shotgun with birdshead grip.  Also don't have to worry about legalities of having JHP with a shotgun.  

In NJ, can you transport an unloaded shotgun in your car even if you are not going to the range or hunting?  Ie is the transporting to/from range rules only apply to handguns or all firearms? 

40 minutes ago, ESB said:

In NJ, can you transport an unloaded shotgun in your car even if you are not going to the range or hunting?  Ie is the transporting to/from range rules only apply to handguns or all firearms? 

It applies to all firearms except:

1. Only if you have a permit to carry a handgun you can have a loaded handgun as you wander around
  2. Only if you have an FPIC you can have an unloaded rifle or shotgun as you wander around

There is no permit that allows a loaded rifle or shotgun.

46 minutes ago, ESB said:

Yeah that's why I don't want to transport a handgun. 

Since I travel through multiple states in my RV, I carry a Taser, a Byrna pepperball pistol, and LEO strength Mace. As much as I'd like to have the handgun with me, playing legal jeopardy isn't part of my travel plans.