New Jersey: Governor’s Gun Bill Package Misfires in The Assembly

The Assembly held a marathon voting session late Monday, and Assembly Speaker Craig Coughlin stepped away from the rostrum to issue a press release.  The statement was necessary because the Governor’s proposed gun bill package, which has been front and center for the last two weeks, seemingly didn’t have support and had become a skeleton of its original self.  Only one of the major bills from the package, A.3686, advanced in the Assembly.  This legislation requires non-residents to register their firearms when moving into the state. 

The bills that did not receive action in the Assembly on Monday included microstamping, a .50 Caliber ban, mandatory storage, FID training and renewal requirements, ammunition registration and manufacturer liability.  The storage mandate would essentially make self-defense in one’s own home impossible, while the other bills are designed to go after traditional handguns and ammunition.

NRA and ANJRPC testified against the bills in Assembly and Senate Committees last week.   S.372, the companion bill to A.3686, was the only bill that the Senate considered, and it was amended but did not advance in the full Senate. 

Where does that leave gun owners in the Garden State?  The good news is that nothing has passed the Legislature at this point, despite one-party control in Trenton.  This was the last voting session in this calendar year.  While reason for cautious optimism, there is one more day currently scheduled before their 2021 session officially adjourns – January 10.  The Speaker’s statement said that he will "consider re-posting a comprehensive package in January."

There is overwhelming evidence that NRA member calls have been making a difference!  We understand that this campaign has required sustained pressure, but it works!  Gun grabbers in Trenton will never let up, and we cannot either.  Help us see this thing through and keep fighting with us. 

To those of you who have responded, thank you.  And remember, even if you have taken action already, please continue to do so.  Please contact your Assembly members and respectfully ask them to oppose all of the Governor’s gun control package.  These bills only target law-abiding gun owners and do nothing to crackdown on criminals.

• Like 5

glad it stalled. thanks for info.

it also proves what i've thought for quite awhile......if they want all firearms of those moving into the state to be registered, that means that our long guns are already registered if bought here. i've had people push back on that suggestion saying only pistols are. but i've consistently said that i'm fairly certain that the state police keep all the info that they get for nics checks as a form of "stealth" registration.

39 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

that means that our long guns are already registered if bought here. i've had people push back on that suggestion saying only pistols are. but i've consistently said that i'm fairly certain that the state police keep all the info that they get for nics checks as a form of "stealth" registration.

That's not how it works. The NJNICS does not take the specifics of each gun being transferred.

My regular FFL will start and get a completed NICS for me before the seller even shows up in his shop. There is no way my FFL knows what is being transferred except what I tell him in advance - i.e. a long gun or pistol and how many; certainly not serial numbers and such. From what he's said in the past, I don't think NJNICS even cares whether it is a handgun or not and I cannot imagine why it would - the BG check is the same regardless. The only exception I can think of would be transferring a gun to someone under 21 - long guns OK, handguns not OK.

The specifics of the gun go into FARS when it's a handgun and on the 4473 regardless of the type. NJSP do not get a copy of the 4473 unless they visit the shop and look at the physical copy. If NJSP were visiting all the FFLs on a regular basis to collect this info, I suspect we would have heard about it by now.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

NJSP do not get a copy of the 4473 unless they visit the shop and look at the physical copy.

Also keep in mind, they changed the 4473 last year, and put all the buyer info and details of the firearm all on the first page (firearm info use to be on page two). Makes it easier to copy or scan one page and have all the registration info they need.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Xtors said:

Perhaps a dumb question but isn't a COE basically a form of registration? Or do those not leave the FFL?

The COE is just a form that the buyer and seller have to fill in at the time of the transfer. There is no requirement to send it anywhere, or even keep a copy. 

The amount of time and money needed for the NJSP to physically go into every FFL and copy 4473 info, and then input that info into a database, would be staggering. And if it started happening, you would hear about it. And I would count on all hell breaking loose if that is what Trenton started doing.

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, 0Jeep4 said:

Once a dealer closes though, aren’t they required to hand over all the 4473 to the ATF. Wouldn’t they just input them into a system once they have the physical copies.

There is a federal statute that prohibits ATF from creating a searchable database of gun owners. AFT is not the same as NJSP.

• Informative 1

4 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

There is a federal statute that prohibits ATF from creating a searchable database of gun owners. AFT is not the same as NJSP.

Not on you, but I call bullshit on that. Then why even collect all that (very usefull) info. That statute is probably even more susceptible to abuse than our Constitution. I find it very unlikely, especially now that  it's known that we have an abusive and toxic 4th branch of govt that has no issues doing covert and illegal "monitoring" of whoever they want.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

There is a federal statute that prohibits ATF from creating a searchable database of gun owners.

That wouldn't stop the federal government from doing it.

Especially if it's 'for your own safety'.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dajonga said:

The amount of time and money needed for the NJSP to physically go into every FFL and copy 4473 info, and then input that info into a database, would be staggering. And if it started happening, you would hear about it. And I would count on all hell breaking loose if that is what Trenton started doing.

you sure we'd hear about it?

1 hour ago, Mr.Stu said:

since when has a law or statute stopped the feds from doing anything? a buddy that used to be a home based ffl claims that the atf wanted to make electronic copies of all of his records. i have never known that guy to lie.

• Agree 1

SWEENEY 2025 !

Lol

“Not one of those bills addresses it,” Sweeney said Monday. “I’m tired of passing bills that are feel-good that do not do anything about the crime on the streets. It’s out of control. Where’s the war on illegal guns to actually crack down on these people

9 minutes ago, siderman said:

SWEENEY 2025 !

Lol

“Not one of those bills addresses it,” Sweeney said Monday. “I’m tired of passing bills that are feel-good that do not do anything about the crime on the streets. It’s out of control. Where’s the war on illegal guns to actually crack down on these people

i dunno that i'd trust him. i mean he's not the worst....but then again, he is a 'rat.  i'd rather see christie run again. i think the statute says 2 consecutive terms. that'd mean he can go at it again.