gleninjersey

Where Did You Go / Are You Thinking Of Moving TO When You Leave NJ

I thought there was an older thread dicussing places people have moved to or places they are thinking about moving to once they make their exit from NJ.  

I've looked a little but can't find it.  Mayb it got archived?

So....where did you move to if you already made your exit or where are some of the places you are considering moving to.  And why did you / are you considering that area.

@Displaced Texan need not reply.  LOL.

39 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

I thought there was an older thread dicussing places people have moved to or places they are thinking about moving to once they make their exit from NJ.  

I've looked a little but can't find it.  Mayb it got archived?

So....where did you move to if you already made your exit or where are some of the places you are considering moving to.  And why did you / are you considering that area.

@Displaced Texan need not reply.  LOL.

Oh come on!!!! You degenerates are welcome down here. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Oh come on!!!! You degenerates are welcome down here. 

LOL.  You "need not reply" because it's obvious where you chose and it's Texas.  No explanation needed!

Damn.  And you are only about 45 mintutes or so from Austin.  Doesn't get much better than that!!  Good for you!!

We considered both Texas and Tennessee, actually. 

It was a tough choice between the two. Ultimately we chose Texas because my family is there, and because of my ranch. We do prefer the weather of Tn. 

Texas has no state income tax, but property tax is high. Not NJ high, but ain’t cheap. 
Tennessee doesn’t have a state income tax either, and property taxes are low. 
They DO have a ‘personal property tax’ based on value of vehicles, above and beyond registration fees. I think it kind of evens out, overall. 

• Like 1

I'm pushing for Tennessee, but wifey isn't biting yet.... Or, Western, NC... she's possibly warming up to that, but there's some more pushing needed.

12 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

And you are only about 45 mintutes or so from Austin.

Austin??? Do you know how Austin has changed lately?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

There was, it was a Q&A and poll started from the guy from PA that passed away a few years ago.  His forum handle was something "like" Mipax here and I believe over on the PA forum which was where someone here linked to his obit.

As far as moving we’ll never say never but for now we are digging in.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I'm pushing for Tennessee, but wifey isn't biting yet.... Or, Western, NC... she's possibly warming up to that, but there's some more pushing needed.

Austin??? Do you know how Austin has changed lately?

Yeah, Austin sucks. We are far enough away that we dont get the ‘splatter’ from that shithole. 

32 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

LOL.  You "need not reply" because it's obvious where you chose and it's Texas.  No explanation needed!

Funny... he moved back to Texas and I don't believe he even likes NASCAR... go figure...  :scratchhead:

Tennessee or Georgia. But since I’m still about 10 years away, I’ll reevaluate in the future.

chances are I’ll end up moving to where the fewest New Jerseyans, New Yorkers and Californians are moving. It it happens to be Kentucky, so it will be.  

• Haha 1

We were looking at AZ, Phoenix area, but seems like housing prices have gone up quite sharply. I also like Yuma, but the Mrs isn't crazy about summers in Yuma, and it is a little remote.

I Also like TX.  Austin was really great (15 years ago, but not now).  I also like San Antonio area, or Boerne. But most likely will end up in Tennessee or possibly northern Florida.

21 minutes ago, Sniper said:

It is, unless you're unamerican.... :mutley:

texas-motor-speedway-1024x768.jpg&f=1&no

there was a time when i would agree with you. that time's long gone. i lost interest around the time earnhardt died. was watching rebroadcast of 94 race at indy last night. currently nascar is a shell of what it once was, and not worth the time to sit and watch.

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

Yeah, Austin sucks. We are far enough away that we dont get the ‘splatter’ from that shithole. 

Austin was always liberal.  But it used to be pretty nice (this is like 30 years ago).  Restaurants, music scene, bars, etc. 

Not nice enough to want to live there at my age now but nice enough that if it's still decent occassionaly go to for some of the music if I lived close enough.

Has it gone down hill that much?  That would be ashame.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Austin was always liberal.  But it used to be pretty nice (this is like 30 years ago).  Restaurants, music scene, bars, etc. 

Not nice enough to want to live there at my age now but nice enough that if it's still decent occassionaly go to for some of the music if I lived close enough.

Has it gone down hill that much?  That would be ashame.

Austin has always been the ‘special snowflake’ of Texas. 
The redeeming part of Austin was always the music scene (Austin City Limits)and all the eclectic bars and restaurants. 

In the past several years, it’s really gone to shit. The homeless population has exploded, and it’s become ‘East San Francisco’. 
The city govt has really worked hard to fuck up what used to make Austin fun. And they keep working to make it even more fucked up. Like many cities, they have really turned their back on law enforcement, which has led to most of the problems Austin is experiencing. 
The residents are starting to push back though…that’s a good sign. 

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1

I've heard a lot of good things about Tennessee.  It seems it's on a lot of other people's radar as well. 

My youngest brother just retired from the Marines and is in the process of moving to Tennessee.  Will have to pick his brain after he has been there for a while.  One of the reasons he picked it was becauses they don't tax military pensions. Or tax it very lightly

We have family in Georgia and they LOVE it.  They are mostly in the suburbs of Atlanta (about 45  minutes or so).  

My parents retired to NC years and years ago.  They are in the mountains closer to the Georgia border.  They have a nice front porch with a great view of the Smokey Mountains.  I dont' think they pay more than $1k a year in property taxes.  They like it there.

Right now I'm just collecting data.  I'm not going any where for at least the next 8-10 years.  

1 hour ago, FXDX said:

There was, it was a Q&A and poll started from the guy from PA that passed away a few years ago.  His forum handle was something "like" Mipax here and I believe over on the PA forum which was where someone here linked to his obit.

As far as moving we’ll never say never but for now we are digging in.

Mipafox.  He was a character.  RIP.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Austin has always been the ‘special snowflake’ of Texas. 
The redeeming part of Austin was always the music scene (Austin City Limits)and all the eclectic bars and restaurants. 

In the past several years, it’s really gone to shit. The homeless population has exploded, and it’s become ‘East San Francisco’. 
The city govt has really worked hard to fuck up what used to make Austin fun. And they keep working to make it even more fucked up. Like many cities, they have really turned their back on law enforcement, which has led to most of the problems Austin is experiencing. 
The residents are starting to push back though…that’s a good sign. 

Sounds like what's happened to my hometown Seattle.  I was in a work trip to Bremerton in 2019 and took the ferry over to wander around Seattle one afternoon, could not believe what I saw. Although I must say that the "Denny regrade" area, where Amazon has taken over is actually better than it has been since there 1960s. But Seattle has only gotten worse since 2019. Very sad.

2 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

I've heard a lot of good things about Tennessee.  It seems it's on a lot of other people's radar as well. 

We went to Gatlinburg TN which a tourist town a few years ago and really liked it. We didn’t explore much else but liked what we seen of the state.  Everyone was nice and would go back again for sure.

38 minutes ago, mustang69 said:

Moved to NH several years ago to escape NJ politics and be closer to family, and for retirement/tax purposes.   Family is in MA but there was no way in hell I was moving there.

NH is a great state. Love it up there but I don’t think it’s still gonna be tight 20 years from now.