gleninjersey

Where Did You Go / Are You Thinking Of Moving TO When You Leave NJ

Looking for immediate options.  My wife finally had enough with NJ and her family here that she wants out..  Trying to figure out work options.  If I can stay where I am and work from home most of the time they we figure we would still need to be within 2-2.5hrs from Burlco.. which unfortunately means PA or DE.  Some interesting areas of DE (Milton) but it’s becoming just like NJ/MD.   Otherwise I’d like to move back to Maine or New England.  My wife saw a video on Montana and suddenly that’s an option.  Need to find job in my area in either case.  

We have a condo in Jupiter, FL, and have started to spend some time down there in the past year.  Not sure if we are going to be able to completely escape NJ, but we would love to spend a lot less time here, preferably most of it at the shore in Seaside Park.

16 minutes ago, Golf battery said:

Trying to get my youngest to go to texas a&m.  My father got his doctorite there. Got her an a&m polo for Christmas.  Lets see if it makes any difference to sway.  

Great school! (I’m class of ‘87 myself). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gleninjersey said:

Montana looks beautiful but I've heard it's not as inexpensive as one might think.

Parts of it have really shot up in price; Bozeman, the lake district (Flathead, Whitefish, etc).   I think further out on the plains to the east it's still pretty affordable, but then you are further away from the gorgeous mountains.

22 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

We have a condo in Jupiter, FL, and have started to spend some time down there in the past year.  Not sure if we are going to be able to completely escape NJ, but we would love to spend a lot less time here, preferably most of it at the shore in Seaside Park.

You realize you only need to spend 6 months plus 1 day there to claim Fla residency, right?  Then you can tell Murphy to go pound sand for his invome tax...

On 12/27/2021 at 9:16 AM, voyager9 said:

Looking for immediate options.  My wife finally had enough with NJ and her family here that she wants out..  Trying to figure out work options.  If I can stay where I am and work from home most of the time they we figure we would still need to be within 2-2.5hrs from Burlco.. which unfortunately means PA or DE.  Some interesting areas of DE (Milton) but it’s becoming just like NJ/MD.   Otherwise I’d like to move back to Maine or New England.  My wife saw a video on Montana and suddenly that’s an option.  Need to find job in my area in either case.  

Coworker of mine just bought a place in rock hall md. We Are Burlington county as well.  He likes it. But I know nothing about the fishing or hunting down there.  

On 12/26/2021 at 5:44 PM, FXDX said:

There was, it was a Q&A and poll started from the guy from PA that passed away a few years ago.  His forum handle was something "like" Mipax here and I believe over on the PA forum which was where someone here linked to his obit.

As far as moving we’ll never say never but for now we are digging in.

Mipafox. 

On 12/27/2021 at 10:16 PM, Old Glock guy said:

We have two FL homes at this point which I’m not sure if that’ll be the case forever.  I was legitimately planning on spending summers in NE FL (Amelia Island) and winters in SW FL (Marco Island) but I’m pretty sure I’ll split time between NJ and FL.  I built a house in Rumson that finished in early 2020 and it’s a good landing point for my kids.  I happen to really like this area I’d the state Highlands, Red Bank, etc.  im in the Navesink and walkable to the beach.  

I’ll certainly make sure I am FL resident based in the time split.  However, I may end up a snow bird.  If the kids move then all bets are off and I’ll pack up NJ. 

We were planning on getting out of north Jersey and splitting our time between the shore and Florida, but our 10 month old grandson has caused us to reconsider.  From what I've heard, we are not the first to whom that has happened.  :)

Rob0115, we looked all over Florida for years before buying something.  We checked north and south, both coasts, saw a lot of nice places, and had trouble deciding.  Nice that you have both coasts, north and south covered.  If you got down to one place in Florida, which would it be?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

We were planning on getting out of north Jersey and splitting our time between the shore and Florida, but our 10 month old grandson has caused us to reconsider.  From what I've heard, we are not the first to whom that has happened.  :)

Rob0115, we looked all over Florida for years before buying something.  We checked north and south, both coasts, saw a lot of nice places, and had trouble deciding.  Nice that you have both coasts, north and south covered.  If you got down to one place in Florida, which would it be?

Trust me, you'll want "North" Florida.  Anything north of I-4, except for Orlando and Jacksonville. Everywhere else incurs the risk of  "progressives."    We often joke that the "New South" ends at I-4.  Some even say it's I-10,  but....  :D

2 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

We were planning on getting out of north Jersey and splitting our time between the shore and Florida, but our 10 month old grandson has caused us to reconsider.  From what I've heard, we are not the first to whom that has happened. 

That's exactly the issue I have with wifey and twisting her arm to leave, the grandkids. I've told her between technology today (where she can chat with them anytime) and that I'll take her on a road trip in the RV to come visit them when ever she wants, I can't get any traction.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

It would be tough. Amelia Island has such natural beauty and it’s seasonal, although 80 today.  There isn’t as much to do there but it’s peaceful and a reasonable drive to Jax, 40 mins, St Augustine, ~1 hour.  I’ve been there for a while but in 17 I acquired some additional land and had the opportunity to build a really nice home about 3/4 of mile on the beach from the Ritz Carlton.  

Marco Island is a bit more manicured and planned looking.  I lucked out and bought land so long ago that it was dirt cheap for a large lot, like 60 grand cheap.  I have deep water access on Barfield Bay and an amazing view south towards Key West.  Miami is under 2 hours on route 41 and Tampa less than 3 on I75.  We are also less than 20 minutes to 5th Ave in Naples which has great restaurants and for the wife great shopping.   It’s tropical so much warmer winter temps, like swimming in the Gulf in Feb temps.  I kind of prefer the no winter my wife not so much.  

I’d consider Naples and it’s suburbs as more of an international type city rather than quiet enclave in Amelia Island. There is no shortage of activities restaurants, bars, nature preserves, fishing plays, concerts.  

I’d probably choose Marco if I went full time because of all the activities.  It makes me miss home, Nj, less because of that. On Amelia sometimes I feel like I’m in god’s waiting room counting down my days.  

My oldest is married and probably only a year or two away from starting her family.  My wife would’ve bagged out of NJ in 15 when I finished my first house in FL but the realties of being an airplane grandma are setting in causing her to reconsider.  She also really like the Rumson area, especially Red Bank and the fact we can walk to the beach here.   If we were Grandparents and could only select one of the three it may end up being NJ just because of my kids.  Yes it’ll cost me more and my gun rights are abridged but my kids are, well, my kids and I don’t really care about anything else.  

I think fortunately I’ll in realty sell one of the two in FL and it’ll be Amelia Island. Marco is a more attractive spot for my kids to visit and the winter weather would be attentive to them. Moreover, oddly, flying in and out of Ft Meyers (SWFL Int’l) is easier and has many more choices. 

Sorry this is definitely stream of thought and meandering. 

TL;DR tough choice but most likely sell Amelia Island. 

10 minutes ago, Sniper said:

That's exactly the issue I have with wifey and twisting her arm to leave, the grandkids. I've told her between technology today (where she can chat with them anytime) and that I'll take her on a road trip in the RV to come visit them when ever she wants, I can't get any traction.

It’s tough. As I said in my earlier post my wife’s preference is FL but the notion of kids having kids gives her pause.  There’s still a strong chance when I retire completely, work a light schedule, we’d go.  It’s really up to her. 

39 minutes ago, beachwhistle said:

Picked up a house in Marco Island last year and have been doing renovations since. Not easy from so far away. Getting  things like license etc. switched over this year but still have to sell my company soI’d to fully retire.

Everything down there is tough. They’re building like crazy and using non-local crews can be a challenge.  Good luck with the renovations.  Maybe I’ll catch you over at the Snook. 

11 hours ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

Trust me, you'll want "North" Florida.  Anything north of I-4, except for Orlando and Jacksonville. Everywhere else incurs the risk of  "progressives."    We often joke that the "New South" ends at I-4.  Some even say it's I-10,  but....  :D

I hear ya, but Jupiter happens to be big MAGA country.  Really happy with the folks we have met around there.

9 hours ago, Sniper said:

Yes, I feel your pain.  We are torn on this for the same reasons.

Rob0115, nice problem to have.  I've been to both of those areas, and I don't think you could make a bad choice between them. 

55 minutes ago, leahcim said:

Any advice on north central, I was looking at Ocala area, trying to stay away from the coasts, thinking hurricane damage would be somewhat moderated.  

Ocala is mostly know for it’s traffic and proximity to Orlando. It is nice though. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, leahcim said:

Any advice on north central, I was looking at Ocala area, trying to stay away from the coasts, thinking hurricane damage would be somewhat moderated.  

Hot as blazes

• Haha 1