gleninjersey

Where Did You Go / Are You Thinking Of Moving TO When You Leave NJ

https://www.unitedvanlines.com/newsroom/movers-study-2021

The annual study, which tracks the company’s exclusive data for customers’ state-to-state migration patterns, determined Vermont as the state with the highest percentage of inbound migration (74%) with United Van Lines. Topping the list of outbound locations was New Jersey (71%), which has held the spot for the past four years.

South Dakota (69%), South Carolina (63%), West Virginia (63%) and Florida (62%) were also revealed as the top inbound states for 2021. Meanwhile, states like Illinois (67%), New York (63%), Connecticut (60%) and California (59%), which have regularly appeared on the top outbound list in recent years, again ranked among states with the largest exoduses.

• Informative 1

17 minutes ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

I'm a little surprised that NJ has a higher outbound than NY... but I guess there's a lot more to NY than NYC.

That, and I think that NY'ers have a much higher affinity to NYC than NJians do to NJ.    They love it more than I think NJ'ans love NJ.  I mean, how many Newark residents say the same things about Newark?   I also think, in most cases, property taxes are much higher in NJ overall than NY State.  Maybe not higher than NYC, but a lot higher than NY State.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

I'm a little surprised that NJ has a higher outbound than NY... but I guess there's a lot more to NY than NYC.

Upstate is very conservative. Unfortunately, they are overwhelmed by the downstate NYC numbers of howling gimme losers.

• Agree 1

On 1/1/2022 at 10:54 PM, W2MC said:

Hot as blazes

I moved to Florida in April.  Sold the NJ house.  We've owned a house in The Villages since 2019, which is about 20 miles south of Ocala.  We bought a 2nd house in The Villages and rent the first one now.  It's income positive.

I Lived my first entire summer here in Florida this year.  The heat is a big nothing burger.   Yeah, it's hot, it's just as hot in July in NJ.  You just don't do outside stuff, from like 1 to 5pm.    You can, but it's got to be in short doses.

Besides, you go from a house with AC to a car with AC to a place with AC, rinse repeat.

The difference is that summer runs from April to mid October.

Right now, it's very pleasant.  Highs in the high 70s, lows in the low 60s.  Yes, you get the occasional cold snap, where it struggles to get into the 60s, and every once in a while, it gets into the 30s.

I've already lost my tolerance for cold though.  50s was Tshirt weather in NJ.   Down here, I'm bundled up like Nanook of the North when it's in the 60s.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

50 minutes ago, NickySantoro said:

Upstate is very conservative. Unfortunately, they are overwhelmed by the downstate NYC numbers of howling gimme losers.

And not so far upstate, either. Dutchess county is pretty conservative.  I once attended a meeting of the "Amenia Fish and Gun club," up in Amenia, NY. 

There are other spots around NY State that are just as liberal and anti-gun as is NYC.  Consider Ithaca NY, home of Cornell U and Ithaca  College. Also the area around the two counties that host the "Attica St. Prison," near Buffalo. 

This map is kinda old, but it tells the story...  I'm amazed Ulster county is "Yellow" and not "Red" (home of the villiage of Woodstock).

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.KU3eyoVtMQfIkHls0OIrVQHaFz%26pid%3DApi&f=1What counties upstate issue full carry permits? - NYS and ...

Have a daughter in Suffolk Co, one in Middletown, and one in Morganville. I moved here from Staten Island 5 yrs ago. NJ sucks, but not as much as NY. My 2 daughters in NJ refuse to vaccinate my grandkids and are seriously thinking of moving out. They're looking at Fl. Might be a move in my future.

On 1/1/2022 at 8:53 PM, leahcim said:

Any advice on north central, I was looking at Ocala area, trying to stay away from the coasts, thinking hurricane damage would be somewhat moderated.  

North East costal Florida is safe from the hurricane, it’s a little coastal nook. There are 150+ year old wood framed houses next to 150+ year old oaks 1/4 mile inland. The pirates of yore knew what they were doing. 

• Thanks 1

Looks like more than a few people are eying Tennessee. 

I'm also interested in areas around Charleston, SC.  We vacationed at Seabrook Island, SC about ten years ago.  Next to Hawaii it was one of the prettiest places I've been.  I probably wouldn't want to move to Seabrook Island as it's a tourist type area but places about 30 minutes outside of Charelston.  I read all of Pat Conroy's novels and it really drew me to that area.

This is all probably a  pipe dream.  My wife is a Jersey girl and the oldest of our two daughters is becoming one.  All the family on my wife's side is in NJ.  A man has to dream though!!  

12 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Eastern Tn was our second choice. Beautiful area. 

My wife is a Jersey girl too, and her family still lives there. 

Yet, here we are. 

Much like myself you picked the right Jersey Girl.

Cindy has never pumped her own gas. You can take the girl out of Jersey but you can never get all the Jersey out of the girl.

3 minutes ago, brucin said:

Much like myself you picked the right Jersey Girl.

Cindy has never pumped her own gas. You can take the girl out of Jersey but you can never get all the Jersey out of the girl.

Lol. 

My wife STILL hasn’t pumped her own gas. That was part of the deal. Lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Displaced Texan said:

Lol. 

My wife STILL hasn’t pumped her own gas. That was part of the deal. Lol

Cindy was out shopping upstate and needed gas. She pulled up to the pump and waited for the nice man in front of her to finish his tank and asked him to do it. Jersey Girls=Resourceful.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

This is all probably a  pipe dream.  My wife is a Jersey girl and the oldest of our two daughters is becoming one.  All the family on my wife's side is in NJ.  A man has to dream though!!  

Ya know.... there's always divorce....  :shok:

Jus sayin....

Started looking for property in Florida. My brother lives down there near Jacksonville and my parents will be moving down soon to be close to the grandkids. 

Got a question for anyone in north Florida. What areas should I be looking at for property away from the urban/suburban cities and more towards the boonies? One of the main things I’m looking for is a property big enough to shoot guns on and be far enough away from neighbors so not to disturb them. If anyone has some info to share please pm me. I’d appreciate it. 

My wife never had issues pumping her own gas but now she drives a Taycan and it’s electric. Pretty convenient to just plug it when in the garage.  

• Like 1

Look what article pops up today. Definitely food for thought, based on the direction of the country. Plan accordingly!

Should You Move While You Can, Or When You Must?

Moving is a difficult decision, so we hesitate. But when the window to do so closes, it's too late. We always think we have all the time in the world to ponder, calculate and explore, and then things change and the options we once had are gone for good.

Moving to a new locale is difficult for those of us who are well-established in the place we call home. 

Once you put down roots in a home, work/enterprise, schools, neighborhood and networks, it's a herculean task to move.

Knowing this, I don't ask this question lightly: Should You Move While You Can, Or When You Must? The question is consequential because the window in which we still have options can slam shut with little warning.

Social collapse has consequences, and so we have to ask: where do we want to be in the vast human herd when social order unravels?

The vista of solid ground stretching endlessly to the horizon may turn out to be a mirage, and the cliff edge is closer than we imagine.

https://www.zerohedge.com/personal-finance/should-you-move-while-you-can-or-when-you-must

2 hours ago, falcone said:

Started looking for property in Florida. My brother lives down there near Jacksonville and my parents will be moving down soon to be close to the grandkids. 

Got a question for anyone in north Florida. What areas should I be looking at for property away from the urban/suburban cities and more towards the boonies? One of the main things I’m looking for is a property big enough to shoot guns on and be far enough away from neighbors so not to disturb them. If anyone has some info to share please pm me. I’d appreciate it. 

You can find rural in Florida pretty easy.

As far as land goes, there's more rural land the further north you go.

I know there are lots and such selling like hotcakes on the west side north of Tampa and above.  East of Homosassa and Crystal springs.  It only gets more rural as you go even further north.

Essentially once you get out of the major population areas, Florida is quite rural.  Even where I'm at in The Villages, I can drive about 10 minutes west, east or north and start running into non paved roads that dead end into nowhere.   Lots of horse farms and houses sitting way back on large plots.   

While there there are still rural areas south of I4, it's not like north if I4.

8 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Look what article pops up today. Definitely food for thought, based on the direction of the country. Plan accordingly!

Should You Move While You Can, Or When You Must?

Moving is a difficult decision, so we hesitate. But when the window to do so closes, it's too late. We always think we have all the time in the world to ponder, calculate and explore, and then things change and the options we once had are gone for good.

Moving to a new locale is difficult for those of us who are well-established in the place we call home. 

Once you put down roots in a home, work/enterprise, schools, neighborhood and networks, it's a herculean task to move.

Knowing this, I don't ask this question lightly: Should You Move While You Can, Or When You Must? The question is consequential because the window in which we still have options can slam shut with little warning.

Social collapse has consequences, and so we have to ask: where do we want to be in the vast human herd when social order unravels?

The vista of solid ground stretching endlessly to the horizon may turn out to be a mirage, and the cliff edge is closer than we imagine.

https://www.zerohedge.com/personal-finance/should-you-move-while-you-can-or-when-you-must

I did it when I could and am glad I did even though I'm now unemployed.   I'm no longer burdened under the groaning weight of NJ taxes and expenses.   I'm also in a warm climate where food pretty much grows year round.    I don't have a huge winter propane bill and while electric in the summer is costly, my electric bills for this house are STILL lower in the summer than they were in NJ.  

I've actually been doing handyman work on the side and if I never went back to a full time job, I'd be content.  Granted, we were financially prepared to do this and I own two properties one of which is income positive.  Every little bit helps.

If we have a full societal collapse, I don't think you can live anywhere frankly so this is good enough.  Besides, we've seen this happen in other countries and the people are still living there and getting by.   

I don't have a commute.  I don't have state income tax, my property taxes on two homes is less than my Sussex taxes were.    I can pluck Bananas off my Sister's tree if I get that hungry.  I have a small lemon tree too and we're currently getting bombarded with Oranges :).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, falcone said:

Depends, do you need to send kids to school?   If so Yulee is ok and you can find some spots with big acreage.  You can also go further out to Callahan and get plenty of space.  This will keep you close to Jax.   There may be some spots west if Jax that I am not familiar with. 

6 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

Depends, do you need to send kids to school?   If so Yulee is ok and you can find some spots with big acreage.  You can also go further out to Callahan and get plenty of space.  This will keep you close to Jax.   There may be some spots west if Jax that I am not familiar with. 

Clay and Columbia Counties are also very good.  I'm familiar with Fort White and the Columbia County seat of Lake City. It has eveyrthing you'd need.

42 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

No kids and don’t plan on having any so school is not an issue 

1 hour ago, Malsua said:

I did it when I could and am glad I did even though I'm now unemployed.   I'm no longer burdened under the groaning weight of NJ taxes and expenses.

1 hour ago, Malsua said:

I don't have state income tax, my property taxes on two homes is less than my Sussex taxes were. 

Does not having state income tax matter, at that point? I know many retirees move to Florida to escape NJ state income taxes. But, I've been pregaming my 2021 taxes, since it's the first year neither of us have W2 income. It appears that we won't have any NJ state income tax, since NJ doesn't tax SS income and gives an exclusion amount on pension and retirement income. So I wonder if the lack of state income tax in Florida makes any difference at that point?

Now, the NJ property tax.... I could really do without that..

3 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Does not having state income tax matter, at that point? I know many retirees move to Florida to escape NJ state income taxes. But, I've been pregaming my 2021 taxes, since it's the first year neither of us have W2 income. It appears that we won't have any NJ state income tax, since NJ doesn't tax SS income and gives an exclusion amount on pension and retirement income. So I wonder if the lack of state income tax in Florida makes any difference at that point?

The state taxes mattered quite a lot because from April to December, I paid no state taxes on my income.  NJ was getting me for just north of $100 a week.    Not only that, if I decide to take a big chunk out of retirement income to pay off one of the houses or to buy a car, whatever, I don't trigger any state taxes, just federal.

I have a decent chunk of unrealized crypto gains that could also do some damage if I decide to realize it.   I know the goal is to minimize income, but when I do work, I make a decent income because I'm one of about 50 people in the country who has my skills.   My ex employer built in 30k for consulting or me in 22, so that's just bonus money that I'd rather not have NJ get.   I don't really have to do any of it, but once again, it's really easy to start triggering taxes when I can sneeze hard and bounce over 6 figures.

36 minutes ago, Sniper said:

NJ tax exemption is up to 100k. If you make 1 dollar over that you pay in the entire income amount.  Some of the nicest places in FL pay pretty property taxes.  My place on Amelia Island costs me about 18k in prop taxes, it’s a big house with good land but it’s still good dough.  I don’t know what Marco Island is gonna cost me but I’m starting research as the project is beginning.  . 

1 hour ago, falcone said:

No kids and don’t plan on having any so school is not an issue 

Then the world is your oyster.  Florida public schools have some slim pickins’ but there are some good spots, generally more suburban type living.  There’s plenty of places from Callahan all across RT 10 going west where you can have tons of land.  The further you are from a beach generally cheaper, but also more space. 

6 hours ago, falcone said:

Nassau county, west of Callahan, by the Georgia border. It’s farm, cattle, and horse country. You can shoot on your own land, and still be on the beach in under an hour. Stay away from the west side of Duval county.

• Like 1