gleninjersey

Where Did You Go / Are You Thinking Of Moving TO When You Leave NJ

24 minutes ago, oneshot said:

Im waiting for the bubble to burst and it will.  When i see that the housing market has plummeted

to the depths Im going to buy In FL . back in 2013 i saw developed sub divisions where i could have bought lots for $2500-$5000 north port, Charlotte harbor areas

hind sight is 20/20. Beautiful homes for $200k-300k and they were not small homes and relatively new

Since I purchased my motorcycle back in April, I have traveled north, south, east and west of The Villages where I live.  The Villages is huge, about 18 miles from the northern tip to the southern tip and growing.  About 10 miles wide as well.   I've traveled just about every road and secondary highway.  I have an on the ground perspective of everything in this area.

The Villages is in the process of pushing even further south than it is.   No surprises there.  I don't think it'll ever stop.

Every where it touches, other developers are building.   There are developments breaking ground to the north, and along the 441 corridor as well.   It's pretty insane really.

My former boss, still a friend, lives over in Crystal River and owns property in several other places around Florida.  He picked up an RV slab with power and sewer in the Keys back in about 2012.    Right now that property has more than doubled and he's got a tenant on it, more than covering the nut.  He bought some unimproved lots and plans to put some kind of rental trailers on it.  The available land is definitely dwindling.

I realize Real Estate is fixing to have a serious crash, but I suspect whatever happens, won't be felt nearly as much in Florida as elsewhere.  There are simply too many people who are coming here for the low taxes and, usually, good weather.

• Agree 1

On 2/24/2022 at 8:41 AM, HBecwithFn7 said:

Unfortunately, TN still has some snow in the Winter, so that would be a deal breaker for me. It's also  little too close to "Tornado Alley."

I'll stick with FL.

We started looking at Florida in 2014.  Prices were great but you had to count your fingers with whoever you did business with.  Offer #1 was to an intracoastal property in Boca, overpriced  but gorgeous.  Seller wouldn't budge and in the end he was a slimy jeweler in trouble with Fed Govt for buying stolen goods.  Offer #2 was perfectly priced in Del Ray but we had a  builder who said he would cut his real estate commission when he sells it and pass on savings to us if he does renovations.  He botched offer and people didn't think we could have enough to close and walked.  Last offer #3 was a great intracoastal canal property in Del Ray.  There was a contract on it but  seller wouldn't close and had lis pendens cloud on it.  Our new realtor said it was OK to make an offer but it was  BS.  The guy had put the property in his wife's name and was in trouble for collecting money as a  for profit charity to help kids with AIDS in Africa.   Our offer was to put pressure on the people with contract who win lawsuit and get property.  

To top this all off,  our son who lived in Pompano Beach and reason for moving down to FL then dies of an accidental fentanyl OD.  It is horrible all the way around. I wish Biden would hire DHS not IRS agents!

Now we are looking in New Hope area  where prices are dropping but crazy (our daughter and granddaughter live in Somerville).  Hope we can get to PA soon. 

Florida is great, just watch out who you do business with.  Do searches on the seller and significant offer.  Caveat emptor (buyer beware)

• Sad 2

13 minutes ago, Zelig said:

We started looking at Florida in 2014.  Prices were great but you had to count your fingers with whoever you did business with.  Offer #1 was to an intracoastal property in Boca, overpriced  but gorgeous.  Seller wouldn't budge and in the end he was a slimy jeweler in trouble with Fed Govt for buying stolen goods.  Offer #2 was perfectly priced in Del Ray but we had a  builder who said he would cut his real estate commission when he sells it and pass on savings to us if he does renovations.  He botched offer and people didn't think we could have enough to close and walked.  Last offer #3 was a great intracoastal canal property in Del Ray.  There was a contract on it but  seller wouldn't close and had lis pendens cloud on it.  Our new realtor said it was OK to make an offer but it was  BS.  The guy had put the property in his wife's name and was in trouble for collecting money as a  for profit charity to help kids with AIDS in Africa.   Our offer was to put pressure on the people with contract who win lawsuit and get property.  

To top this all off,  our son who lived in Pompano Beach and reason for moving down to FL then dies of an accidental fentanyl OD.  It is horrible all the way around. I wish Biden would hire DHS not IRS agents!

Now we are looking in New Hope area  where prices are dropping but crazy (our daughter and granddaughter live in Somerville).  Hope we can get to PA soon. 

Florida is great, just watch out who you do business with.  Do searches on the seller and significant offer.  Caveat emptor (buyer beware)

First of all, I'm so sorry for the loss of your son.  Parents should never have to bury/cremate their children. I know FL had some issues historically with Narcs and with those "prescription factories,"  but the state has cracked down on that.  Now, yes, Fentanyl is a different problem since almost all the traffic in it is illegal. It should never be prescribed for home use and is really only valid for hospital/surgical settings.  I hope they do fix that quickly.  Yes, hire more Border Patrol agents.

I guess I've had luck with the people with which I've dealt in FL. My original realtor was great and the house was in pretty good shape for one 13 years old (built in 2003).  I just had my roof re-done and my HVAC replaced, both for "relatively" reasonable prices and the work was total quality for both. It had to be in order to pass county inspection rules.  There have been some merchants I've not done business with as I did not get good vibes from them, so I am being careful. 

I still would prefer FL over PA or any place north of I-10, due to the weather, primarily and the ability to go diving, etc. 

2 hours ago, oneshot said:

Im waiting for the bubble to burst and it will.  When i see that the housing market has plummeted

Same here. Housing has gone up everywhere but especially in FL. My brother and his fam moved down last year and my parents will be moving down as well at some point to be close to the grandkids. So it’s my goal as well to move within the next couple years. I’ve had enough with jersey. Taxes are ridiculous, roads suck, politics suck, neighbors are assholes, I hate the cold, and hate the snow even more. 

What I’m looking for in FL is pretty much the opposite of what everyone  wants. My hope is to find a piece of property in rural north Florida in the woods somewhere and within a reasonable driving distance to Jacksonville. Enough room for all my junk, my vehicles, and be far enough away from neighbors to shoot on my property. 
If anyone has any info or experience with rural north Florida please let me know. 

Still looking at Florida.....  but other options are St. Thomas, maybe DE depending on where wife's brother retires..... 

Wife wants to be near beach....  so thinking somewhere in Sarasota/Tampa area......  stay within 10 miles of beach.... far enough inland where Real Estate is not over-priced, but short drive to water.

Still have about 8 years to figure it out..... 

12 hours ago, falcone said:

Same here. Housing has gone up everywhere but especially in FL. My brother and his fam moved down last year and my parents will be moving down as well at some point to be close to the grandkids. So it’s my goal as well to move within the next couple years. I’ve had enough with jersey. Taxes are ridiculous, roads suck, politics suck, neighbors are assholes, I hate the cold, and hate the snow even more. 

What I’m looking for in FL is pretty much the opposite of what everyone  wants. My hope is to find a piece of property in rural north Florida in the woods somewhere and within a reasonable driving distance to Jacksonville. Enough room for all my junk, my vehicles, and be far enough away from neighbors to shoot on my property. 
If anyone has any info or experience with rural north Florida please let me know. 

Define reasonable driving distance to Jacksonville?

The only reason I say that is because once you're about 20-30 minutes outside of Jacksonville, pretty much anywhere you pick will fit your bill.

If you want super rural, go west along 10.  You'll find houses 10 miles past where the pavement ends.

Sorta rural, as in, you've got neighbors, sorta, you can find any number of little towns along 301.    The only downside is trying to figure out what sort of stuff you do want nearby.  

There are tons of places where property will back up against a state forest or Ocala National forest for example.   Once you are 10 miles outside of Ocala and/or Gainesville, the banjos start picking themselves.

@falcone Be mindful of reasonable driving to Jacksonville.  I don't think people realize the traffic that surrounds that city for commuters etc.  I've owned homes on Amelia Island which is 27 miles from Jax airport.  It ain't easy getting around if it's at commute time.  Even navigating the loop I've sat for more than an hour around Orange Park.  

3 hours ago, Malsua said:

Define reasonable driving distance to Jacksonville?

I’d say reasonable would be within a hour. That’s where I’d like to be. 

1 hour ago, Rob0115 said:

@falcone Be mindful of reasonable driving to Jacksonville.

I’ve been to Jax three times in the last year so I have a good idea of what to expect. Saw lots of construction goin on both on the highways and housing developments.

2 hours ago, falcone said:

I’d say reasonable would be within a hour. That’s where I’d like to be. 

I’ve been to Jax three times in the last year so I have a good idea of what to expect. Saw lots of construction goin on both on the highways and housing developments.

If you're talking about living outside of Jax and working in Jax you might have trouble finding what you're after.   Commute times make a 25 minute drive into an 90 minute one.

Any way you look at it though, you'll need to be SW, W or NW of the city to get some level of remote.  North and south you've got the river and the ocean and everything that's built up along that.

If I were looking, I'd find some realtors in the region, go stay at a fleabag in Starke or the like and tour the area.  Pretty much anywhere in Florida there are main highways(95,10,75), rural highways(301, 23, 27, 441, etc.)  and you get much off those roads and it's rural real fast.

2 hours ago, Malsua said:

If you're talking about living outside of Jax and working in Jax you might have trouble finding what you're after.   Commute times make a 25 minute drive into an 90 minute one.

Being close to Jax is so I can be near my brother and nephews and eventually my parents when they move. I’m self employed and can set up my business pretty much anywhere. So I won’t be commuting deep into Jax so that won’t be a problem. 
I’m actually heading down there again in November. Will be driving down and staying with my bro so I won’t have to pay for a hotel. I’ll have a week to look around and check out the area. Will be talking to realtors for sure

On 9/2/2022 at 3:40 PM, Malsua said:

Any way you look at it though, you'll need to be SW, W or NW of the city to get some level of remote.  North and south you've got the river and the ocean and everything that's built up along that.

If I were looking, I'd find some realtors in the region, go stay at a fleabag in Starke or the like and tour the area.  Pretty much anywhere in Florida there are main highways(95,10,75), rural highways(301, 23, 27, 441, etc.)  and you get much off those roads and it's rural real fast.

Well.... except there's one "fleabag" in Starke at which I'd never stay.... 

th?id=OIP.udTcpwWIshSZySnmuJHTkwHaEK%26p

(i.e. where the Execution Chambers are located)....

On 7/5/2022 at 7:36 PM, 10X said:

I just read a form letter that Mom (in Idaho) received from their Governor.  It begins:

“Dear Fellow Idahoan, 

Idaho leads the country in economic prosperity. For the second straight year, we achieved a record budget surplus.”

It goes on to announce permanent tax cuts and a 12% rebate of taxes paid last year, because that money really belongs to the people 

Mom’s check was enclosed. 

It’s a rather different approach than that taken by the greedy bastards in Trenton. 

Mom recently got a second tax rebate from Idaho, similar letter with it.  The Governor says Idaho is still running a record budget surplus, tax money really belongs to the people, so here is a big chunk of yours back.

So VERY different than the way the liberal states operate. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, 10X said:

Mom recently got a second tax rebate from Idaho, similar letter with it.  The Governor says Idaho is still running a record budget surplus, tax money really belongs to the people, so here is a big chunk of yours back.

So VERY different than the way the liberal states operate. 

It's SO different... that I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around it! How sad is that? Been in Joisey too long I guess.

1 hour ago, 45Doll said:

I guess so. Idaho is #9 for retirement in this evaluation. Guess where New Germany is? :diablo:

2023’s Best States to Retire (wallethub.com)

And Florida Takes the Silver Medal!!!   :icon_mrgreen:  I would consider Idaho, but the winter weather would keep me away. That, and I do enjoy being close enough to "the city life" but far enough away to not be "affected" by "the city life."  Also, it helps to  have a couple of airports within reasonable proximity and I can get places.  

Actually, I wish it hadn't.  Now all the libs and progressives will flock here and try to infiltrate the legislature, getting gun control passed. More than the FL Legislature is, already "infiltrated."     

Anyway,  I hope these new litigations will be fruitful for NJ. The ones based on Bruen.   God knows y'all need some relief. 

On 1/24/2023 at 6:01 PM, Mrs. Peel said:

It's SO different... that I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around it! How sad is that? Been in Joisey too long I guess.

Having owned in Florida for almost 4 years and lived here now for 2, it's such a breathe of fresh air to see legislation and realize it's actually FOR the residents, not against them.  There are exceptions, but they are exceptions, not the rule.

As for checks from the government, we filed for the 2019 NJ ANCHOR rebate yesterday.   I assume they call it Anchor to convince people to stay in NJ.  The Irony of them sending Anchor payments to people who left is delicious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have been in Florida for the past few weeks at our condo in Jupiter.  I've wanted a Colt M4 CR6920 for quite awhile, and decided to get one to keep here without the need for having it neutered to comply with NJ laws.  I ordered one from an online retailer and had it shipped to a local FFL.  Picked it up a couple of days ago.  The whole process, from walking into the store, filling out the 4473, and getting the NICS approval took about 10 minutes, and cost $30.  Why can't it be that simple in NJ?