Xtors

Night Vision

Thinking about getting Night Vision one of these days. Anyone have thoughts on decent brands, shops, gen 2 vs. 3, and what sorts of specs/features to look for or things to avoid? Monocular based on what I've seen price-wise.

No real application other than filling in missing pieces and SHTF.

I have the same question for the same reason. I was going to go to shotshow and meet with a few of the distributors but as of now im not going to make it. So who out there on the forum has knowledge of this. Ive had many ads out there about thor. Im looking to spend no more than 2500$.  Give me your knowledge and advice.  No rush for me.  If it doesn’t happen till next year. Thats fine also. 

5 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Basic or advanced setup?
Hobby or Professional grade/use?
Where do you want to mount it?
• Head?
• Hand?
• Rifle?
Do you currently have any IR capabilities?

Low-end pro. Helmet mount. Follow-up step would something like a DBAL. Similar price range as @Displaced Texan, which I am guessing means monocular.

Night vision is a tricky subject. There is a lot of quality differences even between products of the same exact model due to tube construction. It's more important that you not just buy a quality high end model, but you buy from a store that will test and confirm its quality. 

1 hour ago, Golf battery said:

Im looking for rifle mounted

I’d REALLY like this, but damn…..that ain’t cheap. 

The Super Hogster is probably what I’ll wind up with. 
https://www.predatorhunteroutdoors.com/index.php/product/super-hogster-thermal-rifle-scope-be43045

What’s in your price range, the Trijicon, or the Hogster? 

I’d love to have the Trijicon, but $7500 is more than I care to stretch for an optic. My wife probably wouldn’t be too happy either. Lol

The Hogster is probably more realistic for me, price wise. I know several guys who personally own them, and they highly recommend them. These guys are pretty serious predator hunters, and have used several brands of thermal rifle scopes over the years. They are unanimous on the recommendation of the Hogster. 
I’ve invited one of them out to the ranch for a little trigger time, hopefully I’ll get hands on the Hogster soon, and I’ll let you know how I like it. 

On 12/27/2021 at 8:44 AM, Xtors said:

Low-end pro. Helmet mount. Follow-up step would something like a DBAL. Similar price range as @Displaced Texan, which I am guessing means monocular.

Ar-15.com has a pretty good NV dedicated forum. Check it out. They have vendors that post frequently and are more then willing to help out. 

This one also comes HIGHLY recommended from the guys at work. 

https://www.agmglobalvision.com/thermal-imaging/thermal-weapon-sights&filter=1

My buddy is arranging for me to have a look through several different brands owned by his group of predator hunter friends. 

19 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

This one

which one?  The link shows all the AGM therms.

I'm very pleased with my ATN Thor4 640 5-25x.  I also opted for the Bluetooth enabled ABL that instantly  provides distance to target.  It a million times better and faster than manually entering a guesstimated distance. Press range finding button, boom, reticle is auto adjusted.  The entire package cost me about $4,300.00.

This is what my buddy has. 
https://www.agmglobalvision.com/thermal-imaging/thermal-weapon-sights/agm-rattler-ts35-640?filter=1

He told me his group has ATN, Pulsars, Hogsters, and a few different models of the AGN’s. 

Out of all of them they like the AGN’s and Hogsters the best. I want to get my hands on all of them before making a final decision. 

31 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

they like the AGN’s and Hogsters the best

AGM is top tier gear for sure, built rugged and the battery life is impressive.  AGMs seem to be a bit more compact too. But, that price tag, ouch!