Bt Doctur

the proposed new gun law for safe storage

NEW JERSEY STATE LAW REQUIRES THAT ALL FIREARMS MUST BE STORED, UNLOADED, IN A SECURELY LOCKED GUN SAFE OR LOCKED CONTAINER, AND ALL AMMUNITION MUST BE STORED IN A SEPARATE, SECURELY LOCKED GUN SAFE OR LOCKED CONTAINER

This is the issue. It has to be locked in separate containers. (Assuming I got this from the right place: https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/bills/BillView.asp?BillNumber=A5647)

So no, if this ever sees the light of day you will not be able to keep your shotgun loaded, even if it's locked up.

25 minutes ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

So no, if this ever sees the light of day you will not be able to keep your shotgun loaded, even if it's locked up.

Sure I won't.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

IMO this one does not have the legs to go the distance.

I hope you're right, but I'm pretty sure they'll bring it up again. The Heller decision won't stop them from enacting it, and then counting on years in the courts to maybe get a rejection.

IMO there's not a single Democrat in Trenton that believes in, supports and defends the Constitution as written.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

40 minutes ago, leahcim said:

I store my guns inside the house, house is always locked, so is my house  a LOCKED CONTAINER? 

What about when one home carries? Can it be loaded?

In my opinion you could argue that it is "in use". If you're actively holding, carrying, practicing, cleaning, admiring, etc. a firearm, it's "in use."

Just to highlight the ridiculousness of this: first offense nets 10+ hours of anti-gun propaganda "community service", while the second is a disorderly persons charge. That could mean jail time!

In reality, this is impossible to enforce and should disappear.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, 45Doll said:

I hope you're right, but I'm pretty sure they'll bring it up again. The Heller decision won't stop them from enacting it, and then counting on years in the courts to maybe get a rejection.

IMO there's not a single Democrat in Trenton that believes in, supports and defends the Constitution as written.

This “Home Storage” portion of the entire firearms package was what was holding the rest up. This was the one part some Ds couldn’t get behind. So they will remove it from consideration, and then we will see about the rest.

IMO

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

so does it specifically state in that bill that it supercedes 2c:39-6e?

b.  Nothing in this section shall be construed to prevent a legal owner from being authorized, pursuant to subsection e. of N.J.S.2C:39-6, to lawfully keep or carry about the owner’s place of business, residence, premises, or other land owned or possessed by the owner, any firearm, or from carrying the firearm, in the manner specified in subsection g. of N.J.S.2C:39-6.

It specifically calls it out as intact, which I guess mostly means the way you transport weapons would be the same. Though I am naïve, not sure if that has any specific positive or negative other than misleading text.

To be honest, reading this stuff kind of gives me a headache so I'm open to better conclusions. :D

The way I read Nappen's interpretation is that carrying the firearm is still OK, but the ammo has to be locked up as the carve out only applies to the firearm, not the ammo.

14 hours ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

b.  Nothing in this section shall be construed to prevent a legal owner from being authorized, pursuant to subsection e. of N.J.S.2C:39-6, to lawfully keep or carry about the owner’s place of business, residence, premises, or other land owned or possessed by the owner, any firearm, or from carrying the firearm, in the manner specified in subsection g. of N.J.S.2C:39-6.

At the end of the day, this is unenforceable day to day, but will be an add-on charge if you ever have to use your gun in self defense at home.

As was posted earlier - have 2 safes open by the time the cops show up and they won't be able to prove you weren't in compliance. 

• Agree 1

Never going to happen..... the 43 other states with normal rights would be threatened by this and would take drastic action. Like many have said if such a law passed in NJ it would be unenforceable. God forbid if a self defense encounter would occur at my residence there would be no way of proving that I DID NOT have the gun in the attic and bullets in the basement. I too like many here have multiple gun vaults to keep unauthorized people out.... Another point of this law that no one talks about is that there is NO EXCEPTION FOR ACTIVE LEOS, RETIRED LEOS AND THOSE WITH PERMITS. This would mean that active leos would have to disarm after their shifts and when not carrying their CCW weapons off duty. Hey officer just got home from the grocery store? Guess what? you have to unload your off duty CCW weapon!  Even NJ cops will ignore this law if ever passed LOL sorry for the long post, this is just stupid!

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, marlintag said:

Another point of this law that no one talks about is that there is NO EXCEPTION FOR ACTIVE LEOS, RETIRED LEOS AND THOSE WITH PERMITS.

They would probably slide that exception in at the last minute.

15 minutes ago, marlintag said:

I doubt it! After all don't they have children too! We have to keep the children safe too. No, they would be screwed if this passed too.

Interesting... are they that stupid that they would piss off the active LEOs that are currently guarding them?

3 hours ago, Sniper said:

Interesting... are they that stupid that they would piss off the active LEOs that are currently guarding them?

This would also affect retired LEOS and those with CCW permits in this state. So yes! but anyways... this is a "unenforceable nothing-burger".....

This state makes my eyes roll.  Not only do democrats here write highly restrictive and unconstitutional gun control bills, but they are ignorant along with their arrogance and forget to write in exceptions for their chosen few (law enforcement) they believe are worthy of carrying a firearm.  People under LEOSA would probably have been screwed too on this one.

Sadly, this bill will pass eventually, probably sooner than later.  As nice as it would be, I dont see a red wave hitting this state to change the majority any time soon.