dedonderosa

New HK Umarex MP5 .22LR legal in NJ?

Hey everyone i saw that HK released the MP5 .22lr a couple months ago. i saw Howell gun works was selling them but im unsure if they are legit legal in NJ. My only reasons being is "MP5" in on the official NJ BANNED gun list, the fake suppressor needs to be unscrewed off the threaded barrel to be taken apart to clean and to my knowledge it would have to be pinned correct? Also the adjustable stock would have to be pinned as well. I really would like to purchase this if indeed it is or can be made legal in NJ. please let me know thank you very much

MP5-22-Rifle-R.jpg

As pictured, stock would have to be pinned open, which the FFL likely has already done.

I own a GSG522SD, which does not have MP5 in the name, but is essentially an MP5SD2 wannabe in .22.  Since it needs to be a 16" barrel, there is likely gonna be a similar pencil inner barrel with essentially a closed mock suppressor shroud around it, which probably screws into the forend of the rifle and not the barrel itself. I have not handled this model, but the .22 clone MP5s I have handled were a similar enough setup to mine.

Interesting factoid. Early model of one of the GSG MP5 clones had a shroud that the ATF later decided was a supressor because it apparently changed the noise somehow.  I dunno if early ones had an empty can, but mine is solid and hefty.

I would love to live somewhere I could SBR mine and throw on a real can. Would cost at least as much as I paid for the thing, of course.

1 hour ago, dedonderosa said:

call me crazy but, you can see the threads are clearly on the silver barrel end. he pushes the whole assembly out of the housing and thats where the threads are it appears

Hmm - I just reviewed that again and you're right.  Honestly - I'm not sure - but if you want something like this I would go for the GSG-522 instead.  I'm sure Howell Gun Works is making it NJ Compliant before sale... otherwise they're gonna get a visit.

On the GSG version the threads are on the frame for the Barrel Shroud so the barrel is not threaded.

On the Umarex the barrel is threaded, so the shroud needs to be pinned to the barrel and the Stock pinned as well. As always mags need to be 10rds, so either get the 10 rd version or dealer needs to block & seal before turning over to customer.

Happy New Year!

JT 

15 minutes ago, PK90 said:

If the threads can't accept a flash hider, no pinning is necessary. :ninja:

Agreed but since they now have thread adapters for 8mm threaded barrels, I'm not sure how the state would look at this.

HGW pins the shroud, as would we.........

36 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

Agreed but since they now have thread adapters for 8mm threaded barrels, I'm not sure how the state would look at this.

HGW pins the shroud, as would we.........

This turns back to the OP's question. If the shroud is pinned, how would you field strip it to clean it?

2 hours ago, dedonderosa said:

thanks for all the info guys. now i just need to find an FFL who will pin it etc. howell is a little far for me if i buy one. can be very frustrating with all these stipulations etc. anyone have any good FFL in north nj who could do this ?  

Let us know how you make out. I want one of these as well. 

On 1/6/2022 at 7:24 AM, dedonderosa said:

well. howell gun works ended up getting 2 more in and are all set NJ compliant so i ended up just buying on from them to make life easier. 

How much if you don't mind me asking

5 hours ago, dedonderosa said:

unfortunately  2 trips nics is backed up about a week they said. but it is what it is.   $549.00 + tax and nics all complete NJ compliant which i asked about having them do if  i had one shipped to them, they told me it would cost about 100 bucks to do. so in the end its worth it. 

Thanks Pal!

So, how do they pinned the faux suppressor? Can you still take the rifle apart for cleaning?

I picked up one of these recently. Same, pinned stock and faux suppressor.

It has the classic "HK Slap" on the charging handle. Seems like a fun plinker for the price.

However, it is much cheaper feeling than a genuine MP5. The handguard is literally toy-like plastic. I will research how to clean the thing before I actually shoot it :o 

pull the stock off clean the spring area, lube with oil, as for the chamber i just used some spray cleaner/oil wiped it out a few times and used a few drops of oil. As for the barrel i just used a bore snake, good to go. This thing shoots great so much fun, i took it to the range for the first time a put 500rds through it no issues. so much fun! enjoy!

• Thanks 1