Redeye65

First Revolver

Picked up my first revolver for Xmas, a Ruger GP-100, can’t believe what I had been missing out on, 6” barrel with the molded Hogue grip, sights are lacking but seems there are a few nice Tritium options out there. Running 38special it shoots like a .22lr pistol, .357mag, well, it’s just a pleasure. Very accurate even with the lacking sights. Another caliber of ammo I need to stock up on now… Sigh…

Dave, picked it up from Chris when we did the transfer, he also had a few nice 1911’s that caught my eye.

• Like 1

Nice choice and congrats! It's great being able to choose between two calibers :) I've personally only been shooting 38sp in my revolver and keep 357 magnum for a rainy day.

Aren't revolvers fun? Loading and working the action is so satisfying. I also love the ludicrous smoke and fire they kick out of everywhere :D

14 minutes ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

Nice choice and congrats! It's great being able to choose between two calibers :) I've personally only been shooting 38sp in my revolver and keep 357 magnum for a rainy day.

Aren't revolvers fun? Loading and working the action is so satisfying. I also love the ludicrous smoke and fire they kick out of everywhere :D

More enjoyment than I imagined, 38sp is the main round I practice with, and break out the .357 when the mood strikes.

One thing I notice is, the pistol gets dirty quickly, cleaning is part of the hobby for me so it isn’t an issue.

40 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

GP100 has been my first pick 357 for some time.  I prefer the 4".

I imagine a 4” barrel in my future.

• Like 1

Congrats Redeye65. My GP100 SS 5" was the first of the 2 revolvers I own, and a definite favorite of my meager collection. Put a green Hi Viz and Chig's grips on it. Just Flitzed the internals, put in some shims and changed some springs. Can't wait to get back to the range. I'm sure you'll be pleased adding a 1911 too. 

3 minutes ago, bennj said:

Congrats Redeye65. My GP100 SS 5" was the first of the 2 revolvers I own, and a definite favorite of my meager collection. Put a green Hi Viz and Chig's grips on it. Just Flitzed the internals, put in some shims and changed some springs. Canxt wait to get back to the range. I'm sure you'll be pleased adding a 1911 too. 

The sights really are the only weakness on the pistol, have been looking at the meprolight adjustable Tritium for it.

1911’s are my weakness… Have a Kimber, Springfield Armory and a Colt, the toss up when I bought the GP 100 was between it and the new Springfield Armory Emissary he had in stock.

11 hours ago, bennj said:

Congrats Redeye65. My GP100 SS 5" was the first of the 2 revolvers I own, and a definite favorite of my meager collection. Put a green Hi Viz and Chig's grips on it. Just Flitzed the internals, put in some shims and changed some springs. Can't wait to get back to the range. I'm sure you'll be pleased adding a 1911 too. 

I also have the GP100 SS in the 5” barrel length. It is a special model I purchased  thru Davidsons  Gallery of  Guns around 2017. It is one of two revolvers I own and am very happy with it. Has always operated flawlessly. 
The other is the GP100 6” in 22LR 10 round cylinder.  Beautiful gun but very sensitive to being even a little bit dirty. Hammer and cylinder start to bind and I have to brush/wipe it clean during a shooting session.