tony357

Meadow's 1st day out hunting. 11 month old GSP

Finally had chance to take meadow out on hunt, went on non stocking day but was still busy I'm guessing because everyone has off for holidays. She did good found one bird and worked it for about 200 yds before flush it was running through rye grass. Harvested with 28GA O/U  purchased from Tony broke some clays with it 1st time hunting 28GA worked out real nice Great caliber to hunt over dog.

meadowhunt.jpg

meadowhunt2.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, tony357 said:

Finally had chance to take meadow out on hunt, went on non stocking day but was still busy I'm guessing because everyone has off for holidays. She did good found one bird and worked it for about 200 yds before flush it was running through rye grass. Harvested with 28GA O/U  purchased from Tony broke some clays with it 1st time hunting 28GA worked out real nice Great caliber to hunt over dog.

meadowhunt.jpg

meadowhunt2.jpg

Good looking GSP. Which WMA? Love the cover down south. 

• Like 1

I use the range at Stafford but haven't never hunted birds there.  We usually go to Collier's Mill.  I live 10 minutes from the Medford wma.  We just got a lab/Brittany mix. 13 weeks old.now.  Will get her out next fall. 

Was actually just researching 28ga.  Probably going to go with the G2 by CZ in 28ga. A lot of 28s are built on a 20ga frame.  The CZ is built on a 28 frame. It's got everything I want. Straight English stock. Double triggers and multiple chokes.  And it's under a $1k. 

Congrats on the great hunt. Nice work by the dog. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

That sounds like an interesting mix.  Is the lab-brittany combo a thing with hunting dogs or did it just work out that way. 

I doubt the combo is recognized by the AKC or Field Dog Stud Book yet but the Labrador/Brittany or Labany exists. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, FairbanksRusty said:

I doubt the combo is recognized by the AKC or Field Dog Stud Book yet but the Labrador/Brittany or Labany exists. 

Will be interesting to see if the dog will point or flush. I had a Brittany and he was a pointer but would not hold for long time had to speak to him or he would flush early. But he was very good on runners. One place i use to pheasant hunt years ago ( 1990s )  had black lab and he would point which is unusual they are usually flushers i would bring my short hair and they hunted together. 

9 hours ago, DaddyNick said:

I use the range at Stafford but haven't never hunted birds there.  We usually go to Collier's Mill.  I live 10 minutes from the Medford wma.  We just got a lab/Brittany mix. 13 weeks old.now.  Will get her out next fall. 

Was actually just researching 28ga.  Probably going to go with the G2 by CZ in 28ga. A lot of 28s are built on a 20ga frame.  The CZ is built on a 28 frame. It's got everything I want. Straight English stock. Double triggers and multiple chokes.  And it's under a $1k. 

Congrats on the great hunt. Nice work by the dog. 

This one is Tri star with aluminum frame weighs 5.4 lbs. single trigger with upper or lower option to shoot 1st. % chokes same as Bennelli and Berretta. 

I had Tony order it for me he also ordered a G2 camo left handed my son shoots really nice auto 12GA for the price runs great no issues.   . Trinity LT - TriStar Arms

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

That sounds like an interesting mix.  Is the lab-brittany combo a thing with hunting dogs or did it just work out that way. 

The litter was an accident. Lol. The father is a 95lb English lab. The mother is a 45lb white liver American Brittany.  

My boys have been wanting a dog and this dog was way  less $$ than a full bred puppy.  And it's a breed that can potentially hunt.  

Here is the pycho aka Mindy laying on my wife.  Lol

9781.jpeg

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Those are the eyes of a retriever.  Have u had that crazy bitch in the water yet?

Other than the white patch on her chest and her rear feet having white hair you'd think she's all lab. 

Other than some large mud puddles at Medford wma , no. .  She loved the snow today.  

She gets her final shots tomorrow. Then she'll be okay to be around other dogs. I haven't had a dog in over 25 years. All new ground for me.  Training has started with the basics. 

She's 24lb at 14 weeks so we are thinking she's gonna be all lab. 

will be interesting to see how she does, try and get wing to hide in the yard and see if she picks up on it that was how i started meadow out. I did not put it out every day every couple days i would put it somewhere i also hid it in a tree limb for her to find. I started at 9 months but i dont see why you cannot start sooner. Most dogs will not point unless it is live bird. 

• Thanks 1