Jump to content
galapoola

Applying for a Permit to Carry a Handgun

Recommended Posts

I found a document here       https://www.state.nj.us/njsp/firearms/pdf/Permit_to_Carry.pdf

Number 6 on the pdf says:

Written proof of qualification with the handgun(s) you intend on carrying if your application is approved. This must be recent at the time of the application and must also be obtained from a certified firearms instructor.

My question for anyone who has actually gone through the process, what course did you take that satisfies this requirement? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I went through my (failed) attempt I had a membership at GFH. They have the personnel and process down pat. They have a printed form that contains the necessary language that they fill in for you after you have qualified and gets signed by the certified instructor.

IIRC, for members, they will run you through quals for 2 handguns included in the price of your membership.

ETA: the quals were not the reason I was denied a permit. It was the usual lack of justifiable need. The Judge said everything else was in order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

When I went through my (failed) attempt I had a membership at GFH.

Funny that you cite GFH. I’ve reached out via their website many times, never heard back. My question was simple, what is the course and do you offer it. IIRC there is nothing in the statute that says what is a qualified course or qualifies someone to be an instructor. 
I took a course many years ago for the FL and VA permits. I’m sure they were bare minimum since the whole thing was a non-resident permit mill. Not that it was a bad thing, I and the other fifty people got what we needed to send our check and forms in for the permits.  
In six months we in NJ may be able to use “self defense” in the letter of need. My query here is what course satisfies #6. I’d rather take the class local if possible but could make the day trip if necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, galapoola said:

My question was simple, what is the course and do you offer it. IIRC there is nothing in the statute that says what is a qualified course or qualifies someone to be an instructor. 

I cannot speak for GFH or why you may not have received a response. Have you tried calling them?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Indianajonze said:

Go to the NRA site and look for pistol certification classes near you. That satisfies everything and is cheap

Have you applied for a "State of New Jersey Permit To Carry A Handgun"? Can you tell us how your suggestion satisfies everything, please give us a citation or link, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, galapoola said:

Have you applied for a "State of New Jersey Permit To Carry A Handgun"? Can you tell us how your suggestion satisfies everything, please give us a citation or link, thanks.

find your own fkn citation or link i'm not doing work for you, especially since you don't seem to want to research any of this on your own. if you did, you'd discover that the nra basic handgun certification satisfies every such required training course pretty much nationwide for cc roadblock shenanigans

now i remember why i stopped trying to help ppl here

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Indianajonze said:

Go to the NRA site and look for pistol certification classes near you. That satisfies everything and is cheap

Have you applied for a "State of New Jersey Permit To Carry A Handgun"? Can you tell us how your suggestion satisfies everything, please give us a citation or link, thanks.

12 hours ago, Indianajonze said:

find your own fkn citation or link i'm not doing work for you, especially since you don't seem to want to research any of this on your own. if you did, you'd discover that the nra basic handgun certification satisfies every such required training course pretty much nationwide for cc roadblock shenanigans

now i remember why i stopped trying to help ppl here

No need to get nasty, I said please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone used this as the justification for a carry permit?

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fred2 said:

Has anyone used this as the justification for a carry permit?

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

New Jersey, the first state in the Union to ratify the Bill of Rights, for some odd reason doesn’t recognize the 2nd Amendment in its own State Constitution. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Fred2 said:

Has anyone used this as the justification for a carry permit?

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

My underlying reason for starting this thread is gathering some real world information on #6 in the state pdf in original post. My guess is that when SCOTUS releases it's opinion in June, if it is favorable, then a NJ resident can just use "Self defense and all legal purposes" in the letter of need. That said, you'd still need to have proof of a qualified course(s) signed off by a certified instructor. I was hoping an armored car driver or similar would respond since they would be the only non-LEO who has gone through the process and had a judge sign off. Anything else is just a best guess.
I appreciate the response from Mr Stu.
You are correct, NJ was the first state to join in on the Bill of Rights. IIRC, our NJ lawmakers amended the state constitution in the 1950's and removed the section that was similar to the BOR 2ndA. Someone was playing the long game because they have been incrementally squeezing away firearm rights for decades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, galapoola said:

My guess is that when SCOTUS releases it's opinion in June, if it is favorable, then a NJ resident can just use "Self defense and all legal purposes" in the letter of need.

Good luck with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, YankeeSC said:

Good luck with that.

I fear your sentiment may be right. I am worried that NJ will try to thwart of us every step of the way after we win the case. They may make us sue on an individual basis for our carry permits which can lead to years of litigation for each individual applicant. Obviously, those of us still stuck here will have to wait and see, but honestly it does not look good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I asked about this many months ago. The answer I got was basically the person/entity offering the course has to be registered with the NJSP. GFH is the only one I know of. From what I remember there's basically a fixed day/time during the week where it's offered. I've taken many classes with GAPP and passed the test a few times but he's not registered with NJSP so none of it matters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2022 at 7:01 PM, galapoola said:

Have you applied for a "State of New Jersey Permit To Carry A Handgun"? Can you tell us how your suggestion satisfies everything, please give us a citation or link, thanks.

I think that the course that Indianajonze was suggesting is based on the fact that it focuses on safety and competency.  It is a VERY basic course.  IF New Jersey ever went "shall issue', they would likely drag their feet to implement it, and qualification course of fire would likely mirror what a NJ RPO would have to complete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...