Mrs. Peel

COVID Rampant among Deer [Article]

I'm not sure exactly what to make of this, nor does the article specifically speak to the aspect of hunting... but it caught my eye. Two different studies showed that 35% & 40% (respectively) of wild deer populations had COVID. And one experiment revealed it was passed quite easily through air between deer, so I would guess those percentages will only grow.

Now, there was no indication of it passing from deer back to humans, although apparently there's a possibility that could happen at some point either in an original or a mutated form. I also don't think these findings were particularly surprising, since it's also been found in pets and zoo animals. (Hell, it's probably endemic in commercial livestock as well by this point). The only reason I posted it is... I'm guessing there are identified best practices for handling fresh kills in terms of infection precautions/sanitation, etc.?  It's just something to consider. So, passing the article along since it's always best to err on the side of being well-informed.     https://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/covid-rampant-deer-research-shows-rcna10181

It's a bit concerning, like how COVID was seen to pass to stray cats.

I live in an area with tons of deer that love to frequent my lot. Honestly, I get more close contact with deer most of the time than other humans.

Looks like I can't trust the deer either, anymore. :D But generally looks like it hits a dead-end with animals.

Just don't eat them!

9 hours ago, Sniper said:

Didn't it originally come from bats in the wet market?

that was i think the original lie. then they started on the lab thing. but in the meantime i thought they'd said it couldn't transmit from us to pets/animals or back......i could be remembering that wrong though.

1 minute ago, 1LtCAP said:

that was i think the original lie. then they started on the lab thing. but in the meantime i thought they'd said it couldn't transmit from us to pets/animals or back......i could be remembering that wrong though.

You are right. Though, they said a lot of things and most of it was wrong...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Lawnmower2021 said:

You are right. Though, they said a lot of things and most of it was wrong...

they seem to still be wrong most of the time.

so now the question is whether or not it is outright lies or if they truly were ignorant of these facts.

10 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

they seem to still be wrong most of the time.

so now the question is whether or not it is outright lies or if they truly were ignorant of these facts.

Confidently asserting things with authority despite ignorance is essentially a lie.

It's here..... Wondering how they're going to get the deer to sit quietly, while they stick the testing swab up their noses? Also, where do they go to get vaccinated? Is there a Deer CVS?

COVID has been found in New Jersey deer. Scientists have no idea how they got it

The virus was recently found in two free-ranging deer, the state Division of Fish and Wildlife said in a statement Thursday evening.

The discovery came as part of a two-year federal study looking at white-tailed deer in several states. 

Researchers found 33 percent of 481 deer in New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois and Michigan had COVID antibodies. There was no sign of symptoms among the deer. Researchers do not know how the deer contracted the virus — whether it was from humans, other deer, other animals or elsewhere. 

It's unclear how prevalent COVID is among New Jersey deer. There were 398 samples taken from New Jersey butcher shops that specialize in game meats, but the results are not yet known.

https://www.app.com/story/news/coronavirus/2022/01/21/nj-covid-white-tailed-deer-animals-test-positive-no-symptoms/6600331001/