Teky0101

Pump Shotgun - Magazine Cap?

Hello Everyone,

I hope you all had a nice Christmas and New Years. I had a quick question, I realize NJ has a magazine capacity limit of 6 rounds for a semi automatic shotguns. However, could I purchase a larger capacity magazine in 10 rounds which is utilizes the 1919 style of magazine for a pump shogun? Also if it was technically legal for the pump shotgun to have more than 10 round magazine would it become illegal if I were to purchase another shotgun in the future which is semi automatic and utilizes the same magazine such as a VR80? Thank you for any advice you could provide.

IANAL but my opinion is if the magazine has a capacity of more than 10 rounds and can be used in any semi-auto, regardless of whether you own one or not, would still be illegal. Possibly even more than 6 rounds could be illegal under the same "if it fits" law! I don't know for sure.

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

Wondering if anyone has ever been prosecuted for something like this?

Probably the same number that have been prosecuted for taking 10+ round mags to the range after Oct. 2018.

• Haha 1

I had brought this up to a couple contacts that are customers in police departments that I do work for to get some clarity (and not be in violation). I have an RIA VRPA40, mag fed, pump action. My question was does this fall back to the standard 10 round limit (I had a couple of 9 round mags). Had them all scratching their heads trying to figure it out. After the Chief spent some time going through the NJ AG bible, he kinda confirmed that this is a gray area, not defined anywhere in the NJ laws. All of the mag limit definitions pertain to semi-auto shotguns. There's no mention of mag limits for a pump action that they could find. How it could be interpreted in court or by different departments could be another matter, however.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is a mag fed pump action does not have a 10rd limit. HOWEVER, if the magazine in question can fit into another semi-auto shotgun, then it would be illegal. So any 7+ magazine that would fit in your VRPA40, would also fit in the semi-auto VR80, and therefore be illegal. I believe your 9rd mags are illegal because they would fit in the VR80. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

• Agree 1