brucin

TV Land Cop Shoot 3/12/22

It's a lot of fun.   Shooting from the FBI crouch is humbling, as it's not something most of us ever practice.

There are usually few to no entries in the 007, Gunsmoke, and Wanted Dead or Alive events, so if you have a gun that qualifies for any of those you've got a decent chance of going home with a trophy for that event.

1 hour ago, 10X said:

It's a lot of fun.   Shooting from the FBI crouch is humbling, as it's not something most of us ever practice.

There are usually few to no entries in the 007, Gunsmoke, and Wanted Dead or Alive events, so if you have a gun that qualifies for any of those you've got a decent chance of going home with a trophy for that event.

What are the most popular events?  

1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

What are the most popular events?  

It kinda tracks with the popularity of the guns allowed for each event.  Chips and Blue Bloods are popular since you can use any 6" revolver, or any centerfire Glock (or Kahr or Sig).   Assassin's Guild is any gun not listed for the other events.  Sterotypical Villian is any semiautomatic.  Most anyone will have something to use in one or more of those events, even though optics aren't allowed.  Criminal Minds and Walker Texas Ranger tend to get a few entries as well despite the gun requirements being a little more specific.  Dirty Harry gets more entries now that they allow any .44 mag revolver (non-magnum loads only on the indoor range).  It used to require a S&W 29.   Some of the other events are more niche, only a few Pythons turn up for Walking Dead, not a lot of 2" revolvers for Dragnet or Hawaii 5-0, and some years not a single Walther PP or Mares Leg for the events that require those.  And I think it's rare to have more than about 3 shooters in the Gunsmoke event.

One entry fee lets you shoot as many events as you have guns for (or lets you re-shoot the same event as time allows).   I've entered as many as seven events at the match.

Each event is timed but there is a little leeway (OK sometimes a lot). One gentleman forgot to bring up his extra mag and was allowed to go back to the table to get it and finish the round.

It's really laid back. 

You can shoot whatever gun you want in each round. You put down what event and gun you were shooting on your scorecard.

For those that don't know what the FBI crouch is here is an old training video.

For those planning on attending they are going to run a test event after the main event. Should be fun.

"Dear possible participant. We are scheduled for March 12th at Shongum for this charity event. After the event we will run a trial shoot on a possible new event for next year.  Munich   Mossad Agent. 22 Semi auto pistol, 5 shots in 5 seconds, standing at 50 feet. one or two hands. Optics, lasers, etc as well as iron sights. this being NJ , sorry no suppressors."

18 hours ago, brucin said:

After the event we will run a trial shoot on a possible new event for next year.  Munich Mossad Agent. 22 Semi auto pistol, 5 shots in 5 seconds, standing at 50 feet. one or two hands. Optics, lasers, etc as well as iron sights. this being NJ , sorry no suppressors."

It gets better.  The match organizer plans to use an NRA 5 meter air rifle target for this match.  The aiming black (8-9-10 rings) is 3/4 inch, a fair bit smaller than just the 10 ring of a 50' bullseye target.   The entire target out to the 1 ring is only 3 inches across.

Sounds like fun!

I plan to be there on the 12th.  It's a lot of fun.  If it goes to the snow date, I may have a conflict.

I met @Pizza Bob there a number of years ago.  If he showed up with but a tiny fraction of his revolver collection it would be worth the trip.

21 hours ago, 10X said:

I plan to be there on the 12th.  It's a lot of fun.  If it goes to the snow date, I may have a conflict.

I met @Pizza Bob there a number of years ago.  If he showed up with but a tiny fraction of his revolver collection it would be worth the trip.

I met him there also. Convinced  me to purchase my first revolver. Nice guy and has probably forgotten more about revolvers than I will ever know.

Can't wat to see you again 10X.

28 minutes ago, brucin said:

I met him there also. Convinced  me to purchase my first revolver. Nice guy and has probably forgotten more about revolvers than I will ever know.

Can't wat to see you again 10X.

Looking forward to it.  Are you bringing your better half Cin this year?   My wife will make an occasional trip to the range with me, but I can't talk her into entering anything that sounds like a competition, even one as mellow as this.  My nephew, on the other hand, is very much excited about it.

1 hour ago, 10X said:

Looking forward to it.  Are you bringing your better half Cin this year?   My wife will make an occasional trip to the range with me, but I can't talk her into entering anything that sounds like a competition, even one as mellow as this.  My nephew, on the other hand, is very much excited about it.

Cindy said if you could talk your better half into going she will go. Maybe they could talk each other into shooting.

7 minutes ago, brucin said:

Cindy said if you could talk your better half into going she will go. Maybe they could talk each other into shooting.

I'll see what I can do; I'll send an email if I'm successful.

Maybe we can talk @Mrs. Peel into it? There is a nice Cagney and Lacey trophy for the high scoring woman.  Some years it goes unclaimed.

• Informative 1

This may be pushed to the snow date. I will post tomorrow as soon as I hear from the organizer. Please check back tomorrow evening if you are considering attending.

Another great time at this shoot. New event to be added next year Munich Mossad Assassin. .22 LR 5 shots in 5 seconds at 7 yards at a 10 meter air rifle target.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brucin said:

Another great time at this shoot. New event to be added next year Munich Mossad Assassin. .22 LR 5 shots in 5 seconds at 7 yards at a 10 meter air rifle target.

It was a great time.  Good to see Mr. and Mrs Brucin again, and some of the other regulars at the match.  I think the organizers ran us through 9 relays, plus the experimental Mossad event for next year, so everyone got in plenty of shooting.

@Mrs. Peel  They're considering re-naming the Cagney and Lacey trophy for high scoring woman.  If we lobby to have it renamed the Emma Peel trophy, will you come to the match next year?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 10X said:

They're considering re-naming the Cagney and Lacey trophy for high scoring woman.  If we lobby to have it renamed the Emma Peel trophy, will you come to the match next year?

I think we could make this happen.

It would be in poor taste to not show up for a competition named after you. Just sayin'

The Emma Peel Award?! Oh my goodness! Now that would be too tantalizing to turn down!

Actually, I was very interested in attending this year, but I took one look at that deeply bent "FBI crouch" position and thought "oh, no freaking way am I chancing it" because I'm just getting over a 2nd time re-injured knee and I don't want to push my luck when it needs to be healing. Next year though (regardless of award name)! :good:

I'm so glad you all had fun! I've never done ANY type of local competition before, but I'm thinking of branching out this year and trying something new. :)

50 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

The Emma Peel Award?! Oh my goodness! Now that would be too tantalizing to turn down!

Actually, I was very interested in attending this year, but I took one look at that deeply bent "FBI crouch" position and thought "oh, no freaking way am I chancing it" because I'm just getting over a 2nd time re-injured knee and I don't want to push my luck when it needs to be healing. Next year though (regardless of award name)! :good:

They're not too strict on the stance, only that you keep the gun low enough to not use the sights.   I think standing upright with the gun held waist high would be just fine.  It's a very low-key match.

• Informative 1