1LtCAP

walk in shower

ok. down here in south jersey. camden county. anyone got suggestions on who to use to install a walk-in shower? i don't want one of those walkin bath tubs. i just want my old, beatup filthy tub removed and a plain old shower stall installed.

If you are replacing tub with shower (regular base with curb) Mustee or Kohler from a plumbing supplier- avoid the home centers. You can get 30X60 to fill the tub space and left or right drain on those, to make the drain connection easier.

Or if doing a curb-less base let me know, I'll make some suggestions. Sorry don't know any plumbers down there. If the work is anything like Monmouth C. -- be prepared to wait a while

3 hours ago, Brisco said:

If you are replacing tub with shower (regular base with curb) Mustee or Kohler from a plumbing supplier- avoid the home centers. You can get 30X60 to fill the tub space and left or right drain on those, to make the drain connection easier.

Or if doing a curb-less base let me know, I'll make some suggestions. Sorry don't know any plumbers down there. If the work is anything like Monmouth C. -- be prepared to wait a while

i kinda was looking for a curbed base one, but thought they all hadda be square. if it could be oblong and keep the plumbing and drain all at one side, that'd be perfect. old house, old plumbing, etc.

2 hours ago, siderman said:

Did you check out a conversion kit? It takes out a side section of the tub and is finished with some trim. Result is a walk in, don't have to touch any plumbing, save bigbucks and probly do it yourself.

i kinda want this whole tub gone. it was installed in the late 80's a few years before my grandmom died. it was an 80's version of one of those "recover" type bathroom tub/shower things. it's faded, flexing, and to be totally honest it's goddam filthy. i can't get it to come clean. i've tried everything, and it still looks like shiiit.

i care for mom now. she's always been a shower type, as am i. therefor we've no need at all for a tub. when she goes in the shower as it is now, she needs to dry off in the tub, and cover herself up so i can help her out. with a walk-in with a small ledge(curb), she'd have no problems getting in or out, and it'd look a thousand times better.

2 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

i kinda was looking for a curbed base one, but thought they all hadda be square. if it could be oblong and keep the plumbing and drain all at one side, that'd be perfect. old house, old plumbing, etc.

i kinda want this whole tub gone. it was installed in the late 80's a few years before my grandmom died. it was an 80's version of one of those "recover" type bathroom tub/shower things. it's faded, flexing, and to be totally honest it's goddam filthy. i can't get it to come clean. i've tried everything, and it still looks like shiiit.

i care for mom now. she's always been a shower type, as am i. therefor we've no need at all for a tub. when she goes in the shower as it is now, she needs to dry off in the tub, and cover herself up so i can help her out. with a walk-in with a small ledge(curb), she'd have no problems getting in or out, and it'd look a thousand times better.

OK makes sense. I'll  just suggest that you consider losing the curb and keeping a flush floor entry.. Can be a trip hazard and impede any walking aides such as a rolling walker, just for future considerations. Of course that usually means a custom mud/tile job vs a drop in fiberglass type. 

• Agree 1

thought just hit me. i'm on lowes website right now looking at these things. they're not horribly expensive. i could even install myself if time weren't an issue.....but i'll need to be paying someone to do it. don't places like lowes and home depot have recommended installers?

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

.but i'll need to be paying someone to do it. don't places like lowes and home depot have recommended installers?

They do, but they're the last ones you want to hire. They are usually guys who couldn't cut it with their own businesses, so they had to go with a sure thing, and get funneled work from the Big Box stores.

You're better off asking around with your customer base if they have a recommendation for a plumber.

10 hours ago, Sniper said:

They do, but they're the last ones you want to hire. They are usually guys who couldn't cut it with their own businesses, so they had to go with a sure thing, and get funneled work from the Big Box stores.

You're better off asking around with your customer base if they have a recommendation for a plumber.

thanks man. i was kinda thinking that was the case, but wasn't sure.......was kinda hoping that they had high standards set to put ones business on their recommend list.

• Like 1

We just had a local contractor come in and give us an estimate to do a small bathroom with a shower.  The pan is old and stained and there's a 4" stepover.  We wanted to re-tile the whole floor and have a flush entry like Siderman said, as well as re-tile the shower walls.  Nothing else. His number was $16,000!

2 hours ago, 15636215 said:

I got my setup from lowes with the door also. Happy with it. dont use their installers.

this was one of the ones i was looking at......

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Laurel-Mountain-Almedia-Low-Threshold-White-4-Piece-Alcove-Shower-Kit-Common-30-in-x-60-in-Actual-30-in-x-60-in/1000749378

2 hours ago, Tom609 said:

We just had a local contractor come in and give us an estimate to do a small bathroom with a shower.  The pan is old and stained and there's a 4" stepover.  We wanted to re-tile the whole floor and have a flush entry like Siderman said, as well as re-tile the shower walls.  Nothing else. His number was $16,000!

on one hand i wanna go flush....on the other hand, i feel with how old and shifty this house is i'm better off to stick with the slight lip.

were they remodeling the entire bathroom for that price?

22 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

on one hand i wanna go flush....on the other hand, i feel with how old and shifty this house is i'm better off to stick with the slight lip.

I worked with a lot of the elderly and disabled. Having to step over a small curb isn't a big issue for most of them, specially if they're still ambulatory. What's more important is installing grab bars that they can hold on for support and safety. Seriously consider installing one on the edge, that can be grabbed when stepping in, and installing one on the back wall, to  grab when turning around.

6 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I worked with a lot of the elderly and disabled. Having to step over a small curb isn't a big issue for most of them, specially if they're still ambulatory. What's more important is installing grab bars that they can hold on for support and safety. Seriously consider installing one on the edge, that can be grabbed when stepping in, and installing one on the back wall, to  grab when turning around.

the one i linked comes with three of them that are installed at the time of shower installation

2 hours ago, Tom609 said:

We just had a local contractor come in and give us an estimate to do a small bathroom with a shower.   We wanted to re-tile the whole floor and have a flush entry like Siderman said, as well as re-tile the shower walls.  Nothing else. His number was $16,000!

Some contractors have always thrown out crazy numbers just to see if you'll bite.  Covid has taken that to the next level and beyond.

40 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

the one i linked comes with three of them that are installed at the time of shower installation

That one looks like a good choice. Did you actually show the pictures to mom, and get her opinion on what will work for her? The seat is also a good idea, or having the ability to use a portable shower chair, if the built in wasn't there.

41 minutes ago, Bomber said:

Some contractors have always thrown out crazy numbers just to see if you'll bite.  Covid has taken that to the next level and beyond.

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

were they remodeling the entire bathroom for that price?

No, that was just tiling floor and shower enclosure.  Nothing else.

• Like 1

I had a friend remodel the whole bathroom, I supplied all material. Same unit you have pictured. I think it cost 2500. 3 years ago. now most likely 10K with you buying all parts.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

That one looks like a good choice. Did you actually show the pictures to mom, and get her opinion on what will work for her? The seat is also a good idea, or having the ability to use a portable shower chair, if the built in wasn't there.

i showed her the pictures....told her what it was...then she went batshiit on me. she doesn't want me to do this. she's trying to tell me that she has no trouble getting in or out.......

45 minutes ago, 15636215 said:

I had a friend remodel the whole bathroom, I supplied all material. Same unit you have pictured. I think it cost 2500. 3 years ago. now most likely 10K with you buying all parts.

dam. that unit is showing as 1800 and change from lowes. i was just gonna have the installer do that, and i'd redo the floor myself. the problem we have is that we have only 1 bathroom........

On 1/9/2022 at 10:18 PM, Sniper said:

Yeah, but if there are problems with the installer don't you have recourse to Lowes?

An independent guy can just as easily do a half-assed job then disappear. Your only recourse then is small claims court. 

On 1/10/2022 at 2:30 PM, 1LtCAP said:

i showed her the pictures....told her what it was...then she went batshiit on me. she doesn't want me to do this. she's trying to tell me that she has no trouble getting in or out.......

Of course they're going to say that, being uncooperative is part of being old. They're fine, until they fall..  

1 minute ago, Bomber said:

Yeah, but if there are problem with the installer don't you have recourse to Lowes?

An independent guy can just as easily do a half-assed job then disappear. Your only recourse then is small claims court. 

True, but if the guy comes with a referral from people you know, hopefully he won't screw it up, versus just pulling someone from Craigslist.

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

i was just gonna have the installer do that, and i'd redo the floor myself. the problem we have is that we have only 1 bathroom........

That's the BIG issue, you can't disable the bathroom for multiple days during reno. A day without a shower is survivable, broken up floor and no toilet, not so much...

You might need to move her into your shop to live for a few days during construction.. :shok:

7 minutes ago, Bomber said:

Yeah, but if there are problem with the installer don't you have recourse to Lowes?

Of course they're going to say that, being uncooperative is part of being old. They're fine, until they fall..  

yea she ended that convo with "oh i don't car, do whatever the heck you want". hour later she was fine. it's just gonna hafta go in fast though, due to single bathroom and her not being predictible if ya know what i mean.....

7 minutes ago, Sniper said:

True, but if the guy comes with a referral from people you know, hopefully he won't screw it up, versus just pulling someone from Craigslist.

That's the BIG issue, you can't disable the bathroom for multiple days during reno. A day without a shower is survivable, broken up floor and no toilet, not so much...

You might need to move her into your shop to live for a few days during construction.. :shok:

that's why i'm looking to pay someone at this point. me doing it, i'd be looking at at least a week. i'll catwash perfectly fine. then enjoy the hell outta the first shower in it. but....can't have the bathroom messed up that long with mom there. this'll kinda need to be a 1 day thing....2 days max.

11 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

yea she ended that convo with "oh i don't car, do whatever the heck you want". hour later she was fine. it's just gonna hafta go in fast though, due to single bathroom and her not being predictible if ya know what i mean.....

Might want to put her up in nice motel during for a few days.

Who knows what you'll run into when you start taking things apart. 1 to 2 days seems very optimistic to get it done right, especially with older houses.

35 minutes ago, Bomber said:

Years ago, when we bought the NJ house, we had HD remodel the kitchen. 
I didn’t have much $$ at the time, and they had a pretty solid deal on what we wanted, and installation to boot.
I figured the same thing, if their installer screwed it up, we would have recourse with HD. 

Hahahahaha! What a nightmare. 

The installer DID install cabinets and countertop. But they never finished the job per the contract I signed with HD. 
I fought with them for 2 months, trying to get my kitchen finished, but they refused. Told me they would sue me over the balance. 
I would have been more than happy to pay them, had they finished the job they were contracted to do. Eventually the store manager refused to talk to me, so I kicked it up to HD corporate. Even they wouldn’t get involved. 

I had just started talking to an attorney about suing them, when I received a letter from HD saying if I don’t sue them, they will ‘forgive’ the remaining balance. 
Fair enough. 

I hired someone to finish the job, at a little less money than the remaining balance. 

Never again will I allow a big box store contractor into my home. 

• Like 1