ESB

Water collection and purification

17 minutes ago, ESB said:

What is everyone doing for at water collection and purification?  Either sheltering in place or bugging out.    Looking for ideas for both (separate systems for each).  

• City water
  • Well water
  • Bottled water
  • Swimming pool
  • Backpacker pump type water filter for stream or lake
  • Multiple 6 gallon portable containers
  • Purification tablets
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ESB said:

What is everyone doing for at water collection and purification?  Either sheltering in place or bugging out.    Looking for ideas for both (separate systems for each).  

Good topic! My plan is:

- City water until it stops (filling tub/containers if adequate notice)

- Bottled water (I do keep a supply in my house) 

- Tarp collection system from my deck - or - collection from local river - then running either though LifeStraw Family 2.0 water filter 

1 hour ago, ESB said:

Anyone use a large barrel for collecting rainwater from your gutters?  

I know you need to be aware of possible contaminants if you want to drink it - from the roofing materials themselves, or from pollution/animal droppings on the roof. FYI, I don't have any rain barrels myself - but my next door neighbors have several! They use the water specifically for non-drinking purposes - like watering their gardens, washing cars and claim it has cut down on their water bill -  they could probably tweak their existing system easily enough to make it potable though. 

Here's an interesting website:  https://www.nationalpolyindustries.com.au/2018/06/14/collecting-safe-and-drinkable-rainwater-from-your-rooftop/

I'm not endorsing that company btw - I know nothing about them - it just happens to have a pretty good, descriptive website along with related gadgetry like leaf strainers, diverters, etc.  

If I was a prepared-type person... I have a well, and will have to look into removing that cap and putting a hand pump in it if it is possible.   Having a little bleach on hand can help to make water safer to drink, but bleach breaks down and has a shelf-life and must be rotated.  You can also make a Berkey-style filter using (2) five gallon food grade buckets and lids on sitting on the other (which is a passive but slow way to filter after you collect if you have a source near by).   This will nest nicely with the filter stored inside and ready to roll.   I would prescreen through something such as a sheet, first.  Then there are water purification tablets, and lastly you can buy additional water purifiers, but some are better than others and remove the smaller viral particles while the others aren''t able to do that (masked warriers take note).  When I used to backpack I used a Pur Hiker (don't think it removed 99% of Viruses though).   One I would recommend now (with extra filters stocked and on hand) and with prescreening is the Grayl Geopress.  It is a little pricy, but in my opinion worth the cost of admission and I would choose it over say one of those water straws due to the volume of water it can make useable and the relative speed.  I would recommend one for every 3-4 people and it is portable and can be filled and used as a water bottle en route.   Mrs. P's suggestion of filling the bathrub and having water stored and on hand is invaluable as well.   If possible, I would choose to live near a replentishable source of water even if collection from a relatively close lake would suck using containers on hand.  

My water preps:

• 2 life straws
  • 2 Katadyne pump filters
  • 55 gallon blue drum
  • Several 5 gallon blue jugs
  • Iodine tablets as well as povidone and Lugol's solution
  • Small water preserver bottle (sodium hypochlorite, treats 55 gallons)
  • 12 gallons deer park
  • 4 cases bottle water
  • 2 aqua pods that go into the bathtubs that will get filled in an emergency
  • Extra coffee filters
  • Bleach

• Like 2

On 8/17/2022 at 4:50 PM, ESB said:

Recommendations on gravity water filter?  Preferably one for a DIY solution.  

We have a couple Berkey filtration systems.. Yes, start up is expensive, but water is your most important prep. Black Berkeys at $367 (apprx 6000 gallons at .04 cents per gallon.) They claim it can filter pond water.