ESB

How much cash

22 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

you might think that. i'm presuming you just payoff your balance every month so you don't pay interest? that's ok by them. they still make money from the merchants you spend with. if it's any type of rewards card, then they hit the merchants even harder.

oh i'm worse than that; I open and close cards to get the one time bonuses as often as I can.

which reminds me, I think I have a card or 2 open that needs closing.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Sota said:

oh i'm worse than that; I open and close cards to get the one time bonuses as often as I can.

I've heard that this is bad for your credit rating. Have you noticed an detrimental effects on yours from doing this?

9 hours ago, Sniper said:

You might want to reconsider that, and put away some cash. If a cyber attack happens, like mentioned in this article, your plastic would be useless, and your accounts could be wiped out.....

I'll also mention that people should regularly print out their investment and bank balances. Wouldn't it really suck if you woke up one morning, and your balances were ZERO, and you have no backup copy to show the finance institution and prove your balances.

this is part of why i am still receiving paper statements. i've got THEIR own document showing what i got.

11 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

this is part of why i am still receiving paper statements. i've got THEIR own document showing what i got.

Not trying to be wise, but aren't electronic statements equivalent?

On 1/9/2022 at 7:52 AM, Sota said:

1st, buy a generator now, or if you want to wait until snow storm season has passed to hopefully get a better price, fine.

2nd, buy 2 generators. A "big" guy (~6000W or larger) and a "small" one (<2000W) so you have a backup.

3rd, learn how to hook them up, and especially to things like your furnace if your central HVAC and gas fired.

4rd, and this one is controversial, get Harbor Freight Predator based unit(s).  In my experience, their performance and reliability is far above their price tag.

While my first preference is a genuine Honda Power Equipment generator(I have an EU3000), I also recommend the Harbor Freight Predator line of generators. A month ago purchased the 2000watt inverter model as a Xmas gift to my son and his family.  Was on sale for, if I recall, $550 plus the modest cost of an extended warranty. If anything goes wrong with it, they will swap it out for a brand new one.

Re cash on hand, I keep 500-1000 readily on hand for everyday use.  In addition, we keep $5000 vacuum sealed (using a Foodsaver) in my fire resistant safe for emergencies. I plan on upping the amount in the safe to a total $10,000.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ESB said:

Vacuum sealed is a neat idea.  Consider slipping that into some nomex racing socks for even more fire protection.  Nomex is the fireproof material racers and firefighters wear.  https://amzn.to/3qeRYGM

My Sentry safe is very humid inside. Hence vacuum sealing to help prevent the bills from getting musty smelling. Also a stack of bills vacuum seals into a nice flat brick. 

Also importantly, regarding cash: my bank(JPMorgan Chase) has a default $1000  limit that you can withdraw from their ATM on a single day. Last year, I called customer service and they raised the limit for me to $2000.  Btw, we have kids/grandkids living nearby. So that factors into how much cash I keep onhand for emergencies.(i.e. I have their backs.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xtors said:

i hojnestly have no idea. i want paper statements though. that's part of why i left sun bank years ago. i moved ALL of my business money through them, and the corksuckers tried charging me for paper statements.of course them treating my mother like a jerk one time didn't help.  so i removed all of my money from them.

2 hours ago, Xtors said:

Depends where you store them!

On your personal computer's hard drive?

In the "cloud"?

As an attachment in your Gmail email?

How will you access them for proof?

Also, those statements can come monthly or quarterly. For some people, balances can change a lot in those time periods. It's better to do a quick printout every week or so...

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Depends where you store them!

On your personal computer's hard drive?

In the "cloud"?

As an attachment in your Gmail email?

How will you access them for proof?

Also, those statements can come monthly or quarterly. For some people, balances can change a lot in those time periods. It's better to do a quick printout every week or so...

Personal computer. Print them out or share to cloud if necessary for proof, but then I am assuming, perhaps naively, that financial institutions have to provide some level of backups for account documentation on their end too, assuming we aren't talking about a catastrophe, in which case I'd think regardless of what paper you show them, you are still not getting your money until they sort it on their end, all of which is an argument to keep some cash on hand at all times. I have basically gone digital for that stuff with periodic backups to different securely stored media. Printing weekly seems like a lot of work to me.

After becoming victim to ID theft a few years ago I want as little personal information moving through the USPS, who was actually the primary facilitator in the whole mess (address change kicked it off).

14 minutes ago, Bomber said:

Forgot to mention, paying cash also gives a big middle finger those who want to push us into a cashless, digital surveillance state.

one of the best reasons to do cash as much as possible.

that said....i saw some keep loot stashed in their cars.  my friend just had her car rummaged through the other day. they only got a couple bucks of change......but that's something to keep in mind when leaving cash in your vehicle.

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

that said....i saw some keep loot stashed in their cars.  my friend just had her car rummaged through the other day. they only got a couple bucks of change......but that's something to keep in mind when leaving cash in your vehicle.

Yeah, I would keep the car cash stash under $100. 

11 hours ago, Xtors said:

I've heard that this is bad for your credit rating. Have you noticed an detrimental effects on yours from doing this?

negative.

I keep 2 extremely long term cards open and never close them.  My score consistently begins with an 8.

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

my friend just had her car rummaged through the other day. they only got a couple bucks of change......but that's something to keep in mind when leaving cash in your vehicle.

Lock the doors... problem solved!

Just now, PK90 said:

I've been stuck at 850 for a year and it won't go any higher.

me too....

6 minutes ago, Sota said:

negative.

I keep 2 extremely long term cards open and never close them.  My score consistently begins with an 8.

Agree with this, however, the post was this:

12 hours ago, Sota said:

Which is opening and closing cards all the time.

Also, agree with everyone's reasons for using cash. I need to get on the ball!

47 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Lock the doors... problem solved!

me too....

she does. what happened was that the door lock actuator went bad on one of the doors, and she didn't know. i've already got a new one in the shop for her...just need for her to find time to drop it off.

I always tried to have a couple grand in case Sh&T, Nothing bigger than a 50 . 50 20 10 5 and a few ones, nobody will have change so make your own. In a shtf scenario, this should carry you for a week or 2 or 3 until they figure out its worthless paper and not even accept that.

Shoot even now if I hand over a hundred to a young cashier, the music stops and the holy Cow what do I do now look comes on their face, and the then they get pen and the light and another guy to look at it. with younger folks cash is a wtf why are you holding up the line thing but I don't care. Sometimes paying with the card is like vegas chips it doesnt hurt bc you dont see it leave your hands.

What I think is funny and sad is handing someone a $100 bill and they need to make change when the machine doesn't tell them or they don't have a calculator. I had a girl take her phone out and used the app to figout what the change was.

• FacePalm 1

1 hour ago, 70gto said:

I always tried to have a couple grand in case Sh&T, Nothing bigger than a 50 . 50 20 10 5 and a few ones, nobody will have change so make your own. In a shtf scenario, this should carry you for a week or 2 or 3 until they figure out its worthless paper and not even accept that.

Shoot even now if I hand over a hundred to a young cashier, the music stops and the holy Cow what do I do now look comes on their face, and the then they get pen and the light and another guy to look at it. with younger folks cash is a wtf why are you holding up the line thing but I don't care. Sometimes paying with the card is like vegas chips it doesnt hurt bc you dont see it leave your hands.

they won't figure it out for a lot longer than that.........they'll be counting on the govt to get things back in order....then they'll be richhhhhhhh

One of my Dad's rules when we were younger....always have some mad money in your wallet....I am floored with the amount of people that walk around with zero cash....It tells me a lot about where their head is ie prepping, cashless system etc.....

22 hours ago, Ladyfire said:

One of my Dad's rules when we were younger....always have some mad money in your wallet....I am floored with the amount of people that walk around with zero cash....It tells me a lot about where their head is ie prepping, cashless system etc.....

"They" were the ones making a run on T.P. at the beginning of the WuFlu.