Sniper

Have you guys bought your Byrna's yet?

Makes for an alternative in the PRNJ, if you want to carry some sort of protection.

Traveling nurse doesn't leave home without her Byrna

...."Michelle, who is employed as a travel nurse, didn’t want to give up hiking or backpacking even when she is away from home for work, but she wanted a self-defense tool to protect her.

“I don’t believe in lethal arms of a gun. I’m scared of guns,” she said.

“As a hospice nurse, I will take a call at night, and sometimes I’ll be out all night. And it’s just going to be an added protection in case I do go into bad neighborhoods,” she said, adding some nights she might be out at one or two in the morning.

“It’s just a measure of peace.”

She explained that she wanted a self-defense tool that offered more protection she was comfortable with.

“I didn’t feel safe with just me or a knife. I wanted something a little more aggressive than that. I was afraid with the mace that I would just shoot myself in the eye, I wouldn’t have time to, you know, get it ready when I was being attacked, and I didn’t think it would go far enough and I couldn’t carry bear spray because it was too big and cumbersome.”

Michelle believes the Byrna will allow people like herself to enjoy more experiences.

https://byrna.com/blogs/byrna-nation/travel-nurse-keeps-active-lifestyle-with-the-safety-of-byrna

Byrna_SD_black_Pepper_or_e460105f-ae66-4

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

would these be legal to carry here?

From everything I've read. yes... concealed... same as carrying pepper spray.

45 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

Also, it looks too much like a real firearm, so I wouldn't want to take the chance of it being mistaken for one.

And that's the one downside, if someone thinks it's a real handgun.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Grapeshot said:

If you want something like this but don't have $400 to shell out, the KImber Pepper Blaster is a pretty good alternative for < $50. 

What I like about the Byrna is the ability to put different types of rounds in the mags, and the mags changeout just like a conventional pistol. I can choose between kinetic rounds, 2 types of pepperball rounds or combo pepper/tear gas rounds.

2 hours ago, Grapeshot said:

it hurts, but it's not going to stop anyone, especially after they realize that all your doing is throwing rocks.

The kinetic rounds are no joke, they will bring some pain.  The OC pepper balls are also very effective.

The object of this device is NOT to win a gun fight, but to afford an opportunity for escape when cornered.  Maybe with one of these launchers, your odds are at best 50/50.  But I can tell ya one thing.  Without something like it, the odds are pretty much zero.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

The kinetic rounds are no joke, they will bring some pain.  The OC pepper balls are also very effective.

The object of this device is NOT to win a gun fight, but to afford an opportunity for escape when cornered.  Maybe with one of these launchers, your odds are at best 50/50.  But I can tell ya one thing.  Without something like it, the odds are pretty much zero.

I would tend to agree but there are a couple issues.  In cold or cool weather, just about any jacket or coat would negate the usefulness of the kinetic rounds and in hot weather, concealment is an issue. I'm not so sure your average LEO would not give you shit. I would not choose to be a test case!

Show it to a COP and tell him "But officer, it's not a gun...It's a launcher".   I bet he will show you his launcher pretty quickly!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Absolutely aren't a joke. Anyone want to step up and experience one?

I load a kinetic round as the first one, as a "wake up" call. The next four are the combo pepper/tear gas. You definitely don't want to experience them. See the video below.

24 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

The object of this device is NOT to win a gun fight, but to afford an opportunity for escape when cornered.  Maybe with one of these launchers, your odds are at best 50/50. 

That's exactly the reason. You sure ain't going to kill the dude on the spot. But, it will give you plenty of time to escape, and the stand off distance is much better than a Taser.

Here's the effect of taking a round. Plus, it doesn't have to be a direct hit, you can hit a wall or hard object nearby, and the cloud can drift into the perp:

12 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

but there are a couple issues.....   There will be issues with a handgun too.

Show it to a COP......  :facepalm:

There is no magic solution for SD, regardless of what one may be carrying.  Even if we could CC in NJ, that does not guarantee surviving an encounter unscathed. 

Anything one can do that is practical, imo, should be practiced.  I often carry OC pepper spray.  I have no idea how it will help me if I'm in a tight spot, but it's better than nothing.

• Agree 1

If NJ had CCW, i would carry the gun i qualify with. This byrna device is a bad idea all around and with the egos, attitudes, and god complex of some of the officers here I would not be caught dead with that device on me. NJ Leos know you don't have a carry permit and could use this as an excuse to go hands-on or worse. I'll wait for actual conceal carry thanks!

Interesting concept but I agree that it looks too much like a real gun. Some may be deterred by the visual, but it could draw a lot of unwanted attention and confrontation. You also need to keep this far separate from any real guns and ammo.

In the end, everyone should pick the self-defense mechanisms they are most comfortable with. This seems pretty effective at what it's designed for.

1 minute ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

it could draw a lot of unwanted attention and confrontation

Indeed, if it is carelessly concealed, it can be spotted.  The idea of concealed carry is...  well, concealment.   If I'm not mistaken, even accidental exposure of a legally carried concealed weapon could be considered brandishing.

My issue with the Byrna is it's bulky, which would make concealment difficult, not necessarily impossible, but difficult.  So that's a deal breaker for us DPRNJ peons.

19 hours ago, Grapeshot said:

image.png.5979852c5e0e492de812f0273271b416.png

Even this could be misidentified as a handgun when the Adrenalin is pumping.  It also looks to be equally difficult to conceal as the Byrna.

38 minutes ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

In the end, everyone should pick the self-defense mechanisms they are most comfortable with. This seems pretty effective at what it's designed for.

In the end, this is what it's all about. Each person has to decide the level of protection they want to carry, if it's nothing, a knife, Mace, a Taser, or the Byrna. It also depends on the situation you're in and how you can conceal.

I originally would carry the Taser or Pepper spray, but they are both close range deterrents. Doesn't really give you much distance. Plus, the Taser is a one and done weapon. Don't hit with both prongs the first try, you'll have a really pissed off attacker!

I carry the Byrna primarily with me in my RV. I do have multiple CCW permits, so I can carry a handgun in some states I go to, but I also travel through Blue states, so the Byrna ends up being better than nothing, and I don't have to play legal jeopardy in some Blue states.

7 minutes ago, Grapeshot said:

OK, in an RV I can see where this would be useful. I was thinking more of a typical concealed carry situation. I stand corrected. 

It's the size of a full sized pistol, so in any CCW situation (with this or a real handgun) concealment would be an issue. But in the case where you're wearing a jacket, in any vehicle, at work, etc., it's not a bad option, compared to other less-lethal products available.

On 1/9/2022 at 10:50 AM, Sniper said:

... Plus, the Taser is a one and done weapon. Don't hit with both prongs the first try, you'll have a really pissed off attacker! ...

Not necessarily.  With the taser pulse you can pull the prongs cartridge out of the main body and then it turns into a contact stun gun (electrodes remain in the "muzzle").

55 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

Not necessarily.  With the taser pulse you can pull the prongs cartridge out of the main body and then it turns into a contact stun gun (electrodes remain in the "muzzle").

Does that work through clothes or a jacket?

6 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

Point remains - Taser pulse still has a "fallback" use if fired prongs aren't effective.

Dunno if I'd call it a fallback.  If you deploy the taser from 5' away and the prongs don't stick, then you'd have to close the distance between you and the attacker.  At least with the Byrna, the user has an opportunity to follow up.

I'd also be interested to know if the pepper balls will rupture if the attacker is wearing a puffy winter coat.  A tee shirt, no problem with taser or pepper balls.  Which leads to this.  The conditions that are optimal for either device (light clothing), also make concealment more difficult as the user will likely also be in light clothing.

11 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Dunno if I'd call it a fallback.  If you deploy the taser from 5' away and the prongs don't stick, then you'd have to close the distance between you and the attacker.  At least with the Byrna, the user has an opportunity to follow up.

I'm not claiming it's going to cover every possible situation, just pointing out there is still an option after firing the prongs.

Personally, I'd be using it when I want someone to stay away from me.  If I miss with the prongs, or they're ineffective, I'm not going to be running up on the person.  Pulling the cartridge out gives me the option for contact shocking if the assailant continues to advance.

15 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Dunno if I'd call it a fallback.  If you deploy the taser from 5' away and the prongs don't stick, then you'd have to close the distance between you and the attacker.

Exactly my thought. Even with the 15 foot stand off with the Taser, that's still pretty close, and a easy space to close up. The last thing I'd want to do is fumble and try to remove the cartridge, and then have to make direct contact on the attacker.

17 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

I'd also be interested to know if the pepper balls will rupture if the attacker is wearing a puffy winter coat.  A tee shirt, no problem with taser or pepper balls.

That's possible, but another option with the Byrna is that you can hit a solid object near the attacker, like a wall or the ground, to dispurse the pepper. I watched some videos where they did that, burst them in front of the attacker, and it had the same effect when he went through the cloud.

5 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

Personally, I'd be using it when I want someone to stay away from me.  If I miss with the prongs, or they're ineffective, I'm not going to be running up on the person.  Pulling the cartridge out gives me the option for contact shocking if the assailant continues to advance.

Isn't this the whole point of the less-lethal, to slow down or stop the attack so it gives you the chance to escape. Do many guys use them to "disable" the attacker, so they can directly and physically attack the attacker? That's why I think the Byrna has more benefits. Five rounds and good for like 100 feet. Helps keep the distance.

It's funny - we all looked at this over a year ago and decided it wasn't worth it:

Now we have re-evaluated and are thinking "maybe..."

Since 2022 seems to be the year of second chances,  here's a crock pot ribs recipe: https://www.thecookierookie.com/crock-pot-ribs-slow-cooker-ribs/

• Haha 3

What about this, from the Byrna stable. It's their TCR, Tactical Compact Rifle? One step up from the pistol. I saw a press release that Spokane PD bought 200 of them.

1200X800TCR-01_700x.png?v=1626367344

Also wondering if their stock would be a "buy" now, it's down from the high during the Summer. If the direction of the economy, mandates and other issues continue in the country, will civil unrest ramp up, increasing the interest in "less-lethal". Their stock symbol is: BYRN