Sniper

Have you guys bought your Byrna's yet?

6 hours ago, Sniper said:

What about this, from the Byrna stable. It's their TCR, Tactical Compact Rifle? One step up from the pistol. I saw a press release that Spokane PD bought 200 of them.

1200X800TCR-01_700x.png?v=1626367344

Also wondering if their stock would be a "buy" now, it's down from the high during the Summer. If the direction of the economy, mandates and other issues continue in the country, will civil unrest ramp up, increasing the interest in "less-lethal". Their stock symbol is: BYRN

Get an FN 303 if you want a REAL less than lethal alternative.  These are no joke.  With certain loads,  we were putting 3" dents in a 16gauge door over 200 ft away.  It will knock you down and keep you down.

On 1/8/2022 at 3:18 PM, Grapeshot said:

If you want something like this but don't have $400 to shell out, the KImber Pepper Blaster is a pretty good alternative for < $50. 

image.png.5979852c5e0e492de812f0273271b416.png

I've carried these in a IWB holster at around 5 oclock on my belt for 6+ years.  Mine is clear(ish) red and I have had a few people ask about it if it does get exposed, including some still asking if it is a (real) gun.

My typical response (after explaining it is pepper spray) is that is about all the state of New Jersey will legally let me carry since they won't issue concealed carry permits to people who haven't already been murdered once or twice.  This usually gets a laugh.  Or a pained, sad, sorrowful look if the person lives in a free state.

For what it is worth, they seem structurally well made and have held up to being on me pretty much all waking hours for multiple years.

If you get one, if possible, check that you will be getting a fresh one.  They have expiration dates 4? or 5? years from manufacture.  I've seen some cheaper ones on ebay that were cheaper because they were old stock and had like 3 years left.

IIRC , you are limited to the amount of active ingredient in pepper spray you are allowed to carry to like 3/4oz.  How does this effect pepper balls?  For example Pepper BallsLive SD has 2.0% PAVA whereas PepperBalls Live X has 5.0% PAVA.  Are both legal in NJ?  

PepperBall Projectiles | Pepper Balls

Pepper Spray and Other Personal Protection Devices - NJ Gun Lawyers in New Jersey

On 1/9/2022 at 10:35 AM, Scorpio64 said:

If I'm not mistaken, even accidental exposure of a legally carried concealed weapon could be considered brandishing.

Yes, in some states but I've never heard of anyone being arrested n NJ for it.

Even this could be misidentified as a handgun when the Adrenalin is pumping.  It also looks to be equally difficult to conceal as the Byrna.

Yes.  A cellphone can and has been mistaken for a handgun as have many other things.   It really not much bigger than a fat wallet as far as concealability goes.

You all need to remember, most confrontations don't call for lethal force.  That's civilian and LE.  If you're legally carrying a handgun you need to have something less than lethal.

I know of LE agencies that require officers to carry their pepper spray and handcuffs if they're carrying a gun off duty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

You all need to remember, most confrontations don't call for lethal force.  That's civilian and LE.  If you're legally carrying a handgun you need to have something less than lethal.

Yep, and in some instances, using lethal force can really put you in legal jeopardy, and ruin you for life. So. having choices, if at all possible, can really change the outcome.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

One thing that Byrna did say is that they don't have any holsters yet.  If you plan on carrying it - gonna need to find something good to hold it in...

When I ordered mine I also got a holster with it. Where did you hear that?

https://byrna.com/collections/sd-launcher-accessories/products/outsideholster

15 minutes ago, Sniper said:

When I ordered mine I also got a holster with it. Where did you hear that?

https://byrna.com/collections/sd-launcher-accessories/products/outsideholster

Oh - sorry - I meant IWB holster/concealed holster.  The stuff on the website is OWB.

1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

Oh - sorry - I meant IWB holster/concealed holster.  The stuff on the website is OWB.

I don't know, it would be really bulky to carry IWB and concealed. It's not a compact pistol.

Actually that same holster holds my Ruger SR9C perfectly too.

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

soooooo....have you been carrying yours? i get it if you prefer not to answer on the forum.....

Sometimes, depending where I'm going, but only when wearing a jacket (for the reason above). Other times I might take the Taser or the pepper spray. My primary reason for getting the Byrna is to carry with me in the RV.