FishNHard

Let's talk trucks, What you drive,

So i bought myself a 20ft boat and my 4 runner frame is rotted and am looking to buy a used truck , I know all brands have there issues but trying to what has the least , I'm looking towards either a silverado 1500 , nissan titan or a dodge ram just wondering if anyone have one of the three  and what do you like or dislike about your truck . Thanks John

2016 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi.  It had ~50K miles on it and was ~$28K.  Sport model with all the bells.  Had to buy it off the dealer's lot in January of 2020 as my 17 year old Wrangler Rubicon finally got to the point beyond which id made sense to dump money into it.  I was holding out for the new Bronco, but Ford kept delaying the release dated.  I like it, but haven't trailered yet.

I pulled my 21 foot boat with my 2013 Honda Ridgeline. I know many like the Big 3 domestic manufacturers, and I use to, too. But I have to say, Honda makes some quality stuff. Wifey keeps telling me to go buy a new truck, but I like the Ridgeline too much to get rid of it.

Although... A Ford F-150 Raptor is very tempting....

2 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Although... A Ford F-150 Raptor is very tempting....

You might want to wait until the WuFlu goes away as dealers are trying to preserve their profits by putting huge mark-ups on both new & used vehicles right now.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

30 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

You might want to wait until the WuFlu goes away as dealers are trying to preserve their profits by putting huge mark-ups on both new & used vehicles right now.

That's for sure.

On deck first is a new SUV for wifey. But inventory is really slim in the configuration she wants. I'm not majorly concerned about paying a few more bucks, but there's nothing to choose from, and I just want to get it done. Ordering and waiting ain't in the cards, we did that for her last car.

I've been searching for a used cargo van, to turn it into a Camper van, but the pricing on them the past year has increased over $10K.... it's nuts!!!

Been through bunch of trucks. Everything from a Chevy S-10 to a Ford F250 Diesel. I would stay away from the newer Chevy GMC with their cylinder management systems. They advertise them as V8's but they mostly run on 4 cylinders. I recently had a Sierra AT4. Had a Dodge Dakota for a while that needed oil as often as it needed gas.

My favorite trucks by far were my F150's. With the right pkg they can tow a ton of crap. Since I don't really tow my boat anymore, I'm now driving a 2020 Raptor. My favorite truck by far.

IMG_2867.jpg

I'm driving a 2014 F150 STX; last of the steel bodies. Had it since new with zero problems.  I looked at the Ridgeline a few years ago and was seriously tempted.  They have a lot of nice convenience features.  The only problem was the smaller bed. I don't haul a lot of stuff, but I need the room for bikes, kayaks, firewood and the occasional load of 4x8 sheets.  The 6 1/2 bed is perfect. 

• Like 1

Running GMC right now 2- 2500hd LMM just replaced my ford f250 super duty with another GMC 2500HD gas 6 litre.  

2015 Gas GMC just purchased with plow 35k It is an ltz Z71  nice for work truck. Im going to miss my 7.3 though engine runs like beast rest of truck not so good though.

servicetruck.jpg

On 1/8/2022 at 3:05 PM, FishNHard said:

So i bought myself a 20ft boat and my 4 runner frame is rotted and am looking to buy a used truck , I know all brands have there issues but trying to what has the least , I'm looking towards either a silverado 1500 , nissan titan or a dodge ram just wondering if anyone have one of the three  and what do you like or dislike about your truck . Thanks John

i thin toyota had a recall or a tsb on their trucks frames? you should check in to that.

that said.....i personally drive an excursion with a v10. awesome truck. i had an expedition before that, but it was a cheapo i bought for cheap, and is pretty rotted. although people will decry the 5.4L as a shit engine, it's actually a very good engine. people complain about spark plug issues. in 35 years turning wrenches, i've only ever dealt with 2. mine wasn't one of them.

a lot of people like the gm trucks/suv's with the 4.8/5.3 or the 6.0. while they are very good engines, they are plagued with issues in the DoD system. it depends on the year to give an idea of the most common problem. when that system was first installed, there was an oil pressure bypass that squirted straight up from the bottom of the oil pan onto the crankshaft. this had the effect of washing the bearings dry. not necessarily a good thing. they fixed that, then had problems with lifters collapsing. usually cylinder 1, but #4 is common too. i've got a 2018 tahoe at the shop right now with the cylinder head pulled to replace that banks lifters. soon as that's done, i've got the fire cheifs tahoe setting in the parking lot waiting to pull that cylinder head for the same issue.

the dodge's are well......dodges. and their 5.7's with DoD are also prone to issues. usually the control solenoids on those engines.

the newer toyota v8's have issues with egr routing, but i think toyota's handling most of those under warranty or a tsb.

i'd say to stick with a ford, or a toyota personally.

if you're gonna look into a raptor, stay away from the v6 raptors. yea, they make good power and torque. but they do that with a 3.7L turbo. that is WAY too little engine for WAY too much truck. got one customer who's already had the turbos replaced on his f150 twice. and he's only in the 120k range.

i hate it when i gotta say bad stuff about fords or gm's dammit.

Just now, Sniper said:

So, buy a Honda or Toyota.... problem solved.. :yahoo:

weirdly, when i get customers coming in asking what they should consider for their kid who's just getting a dl.....i tell them a corolla, camry, or accord. those are by far the most dependable cars out there. at least from my experience. if they seem to want awd, then i tell them go for a subaru

7 hours ago, Tom609 said:

I looked at the Ridgeline a few years ago and was seriously tempted.  They have a lot of nice convenience features.  The only problem was the smaller bed. I don't haul a lot of stuff, but I need the room for bikes, kayaks, firewood and the occasional load of 4x8 sheets.  The 6 1/2 bed is perfect. 

Honda did some things that all the other pickup manufactures didn't. Like the dual action tailgate, I usually swing it out versus the conventional way of swinging it down. Then, they put the big trunk under the bed, which comes in handy. Yeah, the bed is a little shorter, but I've carried a ton of stuff, like 4x8 sheets, furniture, etc., you just fold down the tailgate, like the longer beds.

I also like the way the split rear seat folds up to make room for poochie to jump in, and there's no driveshaft hump in the way. I've had virtually zero issues with my Ridgeline, had a starter die suddenly, but that's it.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Honda did some things that all the other pickup manufactures didn't. Like the dual action tailgate, I usually swing it out versus the conventional way of swinging it down. Then, they put the big trunk under the bed, which comes in handy. Yeah, the bed is a little shorter, but I've carried a ton of stuff, like 4x8 sheets, furniture, etc., you just fold down the tailgate, like the longer beds.

I also like the way the split rear seat folds up to make room for poochie to jump in, and there's no driveshaft hump in the way. I've had virtually zero issues with my Ridgeline, had a starter die suddenly, but that's it.

Did the Ridgeline add a locking center diff yet?  I really liked them but at the time they were only awd, went Tacoma for the 4x4, needed it for soft deep sand driving. 

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

if you're gonna look into a raptor, stay away from the v6 raptors. yea, they make good power and torque. but they do that with a 3.7L turbo. that is WAY too little engine for WAY too much truck. got one customer who's already had the turbos replaced on his f150 twice. and he's only in the 120k range.

i hate it when i gotta say bad stuff about fords or gm's dammit.

My Raptor has been flawless so far. I was skeptical about the V6, but it has been performing well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

my grand pops 71 ford ranch wagon rear door opened both ways like that.

2 hours ago, SW9racer said:

Did the Ridgeline add a locking center diff yet?  I really liked them but at the time they were only awd, went Tacoma for the 4x4, needed it for soft deep sand driving. 

Not mine, it's AWD... and I hate it, but I didn't have much choice.

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

my grand pops 71 ford ranch wagon rear door opened both ways like that.

It's a really good feature, not sure why it hasn't been more popular. Leaning over the tailgate to get something out is a real pain.

On the fords we went through 3 f150's  transmission issues with two of them, exhaust manifold leaks on all of them studs rotting away sucky job to do i still have box with new studs, nuts and gaskets as the transmission went and i parked it, brake wheel cylinders locking up that was an issue on my super duty also that truck went through about 15 calipers in 300k found that the composite caliper pistons would last longer from seizing. Had one with the blown spark plug that was from the way the head was tapped they only had about 3 threads in the head and corrosion could also build up in the plug. those three fords one was 1999 two were 2000 in the end we scabbed one truck together out of the three gave it to my nephew for work truck. Alot of wiring issues with the fords also, my super duty had two harness put in it, key switch and column getting hot. front seals on the drive axle of the super duty about every 40k and the needle bearing also on the drive axle. i could type all night those trucks were alot of work to keep running the front end ball joints were an issue also on the super duty i always had that work done at Causway last time i had it done i took it to shore wheels and he used i believe Moog parts and it lasted a-lot longer But i must say the super duty although had a-lot of service done it also did the work. Those f-150's they really were not worked they were just driven they were not good truck a-lot of service to get to the 180k mark They were the only f-150's i ever purchased. I have 2013  E450 last two years 5.4 yep same issues manifolds leaking, had the transmission rebuilt this spring i believe it was a drum cracked found out this is a common issue also K&N transmission did the work showed me what was wrong from one he just finished 105k on truck, it did throw shift code for solonoid sticking which turned out to be false code because of broken part internally. 

I have a ram 1500 and couldn't be happier.  a friend works at dodge and said they are very reliable but sometimes the electronics are a problem (luck of the dice here).  Dodge has the larges corporate leasing program so they do get a lot of returns which makes for a great buy.

9 hours ago, tony357 said:

On the fords we went through 3 f150's  transmission issues with two of them, exhaust manifold leaks on all of them studs rotting away sucky job to do i still have box with new studs, nuts and gaskets as the transmission went and i parked it, brake wheel cylinders locking up that was an issue on my super duty also that truck went through about 15 calipers in 300k found that the composite caliper pistons would last longer from seizing. Had one with the blown spark plug that was from the way the head was tapped they only had about 3 threads in the head and corrosion could also build up in the plug. those three fords one was 1999 two were 2000 in the end we scabbed one truck together out of the three gave it to my nephew for work truck. Alot of wiring issues with the fords also, my super duty had two harness put in it, key switch and column getting hot. front seals on the drive axle of the super duty about every 40k and the needle bearing also on the drive axle. i could type all night those trucks were alot of work to keep running the front end ball joints were an issue also on the super duty i always had that work done at Causway last time i had it done i took it to shore wheels and he used i believe Moog parts and it lasted a-lot longer But i must say the super duty although had a-lot of service done it also did the work. Those f-150's they really were not worked they were just driven they were not good truck a-lot of service to get to the 180k mark They were the only f-150's i ever purchased. I have 2013  E450 last two years 5.4 yep same issues manifolds leaking, had the transmission rebuilt this spring i believe it was a drum cracked found out this is a common issue also K&N transmission did the work showed me what was wrong from one he just finished 105k on truck, it did throw shift code for solonoid sticking which turned out to be false code because of broken part internally. 

i forgot about the exhaust manifolds on these. i've had 2 of those come through my shop in the past 3 or 4 years. i won't touch them. i farm them out since the head generally needs to come off if a stud breaks. in both instances, the customers also opted to replace the timing chains and all related components. i actually have one of those setting out in the parking lot. why? because 3 weeks after they got that one back, someone sugared the fuel tank. it took me longer than it should have to figure it out. partially 'cause i wasn't looking that way. was acting like a computer problem. partly because customer told me to pull the plug and brought me the title. i've got it up n running again, and driven it home a couple times. did what my consience told me to do, and offered to sell it back to her for the cost of the job(she owns a driving school, and is my single biggest customer......and is super cool) she was/is thankful and grateful.

1 minute ago, Bri894 said:

I am shocked by the prices of used trucks. I have a 2011 Ram 1500 Hemi that I bought new. It was 29K brand new in 2011. 

Me too. I’ve been looking for a used Tacoma to drive back/forth to the ranch. 
I don’t care if it has hand crank windows and zero options. Lol

Even 10-15 year old vehicles with 200K/miles are outrageously expensive! 

I’ll hold off.