FishNHard

Let's talk trucks, What you drive,

DO NOT purchase a Siverado 1500.

Between the Active Fuel Management (AFM) destroying lifters and the 8 or 10 speed transmissions grenading at low mileage it's not worth the risk.  

Just Google Siverado AFM problems or GM AFM Class Action lawsuit.  That alone should keep ppl away from them.  You can also check out Silverado transmission problems.

Look at Siverado 2500 if you want a Silverado 

I wouldn't want to buy anything right now.  Currently prices are beyond outrageous as others have pointed out.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how old you want to go but the old GM 800 series (pre-2007) don't have AFM and have a basic 4 speed transmission.  These are the Silverado/Sierra/Tahoe/Yukon & Suburbans.  Yes they are old but they are built like tanks.

Once market returns to normal you may be able to find a lower mileage, low rust one that is affordable.  

We purchased a 2004 GMC Yukon Denali with 105k miles in November 2019.  Only thing I would do different is look for one with four wheel drive instead of AWD.

Parts are cheap and repais are pretty easy.  A mechanic friend told us to buy one of the 800 series or a Toyota.  He said to steer clear of newer GM products.  They are mostly garbage.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

I'm not sure how old you want to go but the old GM 800 series (pre-2007) don't have AFM and have a basic 4 speed transmission.  These are the Silverado/Sierra/Tahoe/Yukon & Suburbans.  Yes they are old but they are built like tanks.

Once market returns to normal you may be able to find a lower mileage, low rust one that is affordable.  

We purchased a 2004 GMC Yukon Denali with 105k miles in November 2019.  Only thing I would do different is look for one with four wheel drive instead of AWD.

Parts are cheap and repais are pretty easy.  A mechanic friend told us to buy one of the 800 series or a Toyota.  He said to steer clear of newer GM products.  They are mostly garbage.

I have a 2002 Tahoe put a tranny and about 4 grand more over the years. Just basic things, shocks, front suspension etc.

It will turn 330,000 miles next week.

If I knew it would last this  long I would've bought 2.

• Like 1

Running a 2015 Sequoia Limited as the family truckster. 

Love it to death. Basically a Tundra with 8 seats.  Have only done brakes , oil and tires in 80k miles. Strong engine, rides like a sofa on the road. I don't pull anything but I know it can drag a house if needed. 

Other truck is a 2018 Highlander. Also a great truck..been good to us..well see if it's as reliable as the Sequoia. 

I had a 2017 Ram 1500 V6 Express, and now a 2020 Ram 1500 V6 Bighorn "SPORT". I have/had no issues with either but they are/were also new trucks. I will say the '20 is above and beyond nicer than the '17. 

2000 7.3 4x4 4 door-  One of my few better choices. 

Same truck a few more miles than ours was for sale for $18k this week. 

Yes a 22 y/o truck  = $18k  :icon_eek:  Trouble is a new one... $70K

Let's go Brandon. = China's salad tossing b****.

IBSP 7.JPG

5 hours ago, mjrfd99 said:

2000 7.3 4x4 4 door-  One of my few better choices. 

Same truck a few more miles than ours was for sale for $18k this week. 

Yes a 22 y/o truck  = $18k  :icon_eek:  Trouble is a new one... $70K

Let's go Brandon. = China's salad tossing b****.

IBSP 7.JPG

Prices are crazy, im selling my old superduty 7.3 with utility body, utility body is 3 years old just want to recoop the 10500 for the body going to list it for 15K OBO  

On 1/10/2022 at 9:54 PM, jrfly3006 said:

Running a 2015 Sequoia Limited as the family truckster. 

Love it to death. Basically a Tundra with 8 seats.  Have only done brakes , oil and tires in 80k miles. Strong engine, rides like a sofa on the road. I don't pull anything but I know it can drag a house if needed. 

Other truck is a 2018 Highlander. Also a great truck..been good to us..well see if it's as reliable as the Sequoia. 

The ONLY bad thing I've heard about Toyotas is that if / when they need repairs that it is going to be expensive.  

Many years ago some of their trucks had a problem with rusting frames.  There was a recall and they replaced A LOT of frames..  So if you are looking at any older Toyota trucks DEFINETLY have it inspected.  Toyota is no longer replacing the frames.  Not sure what years the rusty frames were a problem.

Highlanders are nice if all you need to move is people.  But they aren't trucks.  They are based on the same platform as Camry's.  

10 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

The ONLY bad thing I've heard about Toyotas is that if / when they need repairs that it is going to be expensive.  

Many years ago some of their trucks had a problem with rusting frames.  There was a recall and they replaced A LOT of frames..  So if you are looking at any older Toyota trucks DEFINETLY have it inspected.  Toyota is no longer replacing the frames.  Not sure what years the rusty frames were a problem.

I had to repair my 97 Tacoma frame my 98 Tacoma it completely snaped in half my 98 4runner the perch that secures the link bar to the rear rusted off had that rewelded , i thought the newer Tacoma's had that issue solved a friend who has a 2013 Tacoma on the drivers side forward of the mid frame you can almost put your fist in 2 spots hes still waiting to here back from the dealer if there going to replace the frame or what there going to do if anything , On the Toyota forums there's guys who have issues with the 2016  frames so not sure who there using for there frames but there seems to still be an issue.

Hell ill even take an 86 K5 blazer

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FishNHard said:

I had to repair my 97 Tacoma frame my 98 Tacoma it completely snaped in half my 98 4runner the perch that secures the link bar to the rear rusted off had that rewelded , i thought the newer Tacoma's had that issue solved a friend who has a 2013 Tacoma on the drivers side forward of the mid frame you can almost put your fist in 2 spots hes still waiting to here back from the dealer if there going to replace the frame or what there going to do if anything , On the Toyota forums there's guys who have issues with the 2016  frames so not sure who there using for there frames but there seems to still be an issue.

Hell ill even take an 86 K5 blazer

Secret to finding a good deal on a nice pre-owned vehicle is always be looking.  

I'm often looking at used trucks and cars.  Just becuase.  Back in beginning of 2019 when the tranny went on my 2004 base model Grand Prix I knew exactly where a repalcement was.  2004 Grand Prix Comp G with 73,500 miles for $3700.  It needed new brake lines shortly after I purchased it and a few other small things.  But hopefully I'll be driving that thing for a may years to come.

Buddy of mine does same thing.  Always looking.  He LOVES mid-90s Ford Broncos and his current vehicle is on it's last legs.  He drove by a local "We Buy Cars" place.  There was a mid-90s Bronco that wasn't all rusted out on their lot.  He turned around to look at it.  One owner with 75k miles.  He pulled the Carfax.  Everthing looked legit.  Took it to a mechanic friend who checked it out.  Everything looked good.  Asked the guy how much.  Guy didn't really know because they really don't sell cars.  They send them off to auction.  He said, "I paid $17k for it.  Give me $18k and it's your's."  It's in my friends driveway now.  He's crazy happy.  

So just keep looking.  Narrow down your search.  Ask friendns what dealers they've liked.  Read dealer reviews on Google.  Don't be afraid to look at smaller corner lots if we'll established with good reviews.  We bought our Yukon from a SMALL corner lot.  Been in business for 20 years.  Has a 4.7 rating with close to 50 reviews on Google.  

Sounds like you aren't opposed to older vehicles if you would take a an 86 K5 Blazer (great looking ride).  Maybe look at some of the auctions like Barrett Jackson's.  I've seen some older, lower mileage vehicles that looked to be in great shape go for what I thought were decent prices.  Considering the crazy stupid prices of newer used vehicles right now you may find a good deal on a semi-classic.  Also check out "Bring A Trailer".  A classic vehicle auction site.  Link below.  Good luck and let us know what you wind up getting.

Definetly check out the GM800s series of trucks / SUVs.  I like them a lot.

https://bringatrailer.com/

• Like 1

Gleninhersey ,Yea I'm kind of leaning more and more towards an older truck , such as a K5 , or an 86-87 k20  love the old square body designs , even a 2003 Silverado would be good since it doesn't have all the ridiculous amount of emission crap and its something i can work on ,.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

I'll be honest, with used car prices, I may trade mine in for a new truck

Yep. I have a 2019 Nissan Pathfinder. Paid 28800 for it. Trade in value is 26500-28500. Crazy. Half tempted to trade in and grab one of the new frontier's for $35k (base model). 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DaddyNick said:

Yep. I have a 2019 Nissan Pathfinder. Paid 28800 for it. Trade in value is 26500-28500. Crazy. Half tempted to trade in and grab one of the new frontier's for $35k (base model). 

I have a 2019 ram1500 and thinking about the rebel

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

I need to figure out what my truck is worth as I haven't researched it at all.  I may go tomorrow and look into this

I was at the dealership getting an oil change. Used the Kelly bluebook link on their homepage. Even before I left a sales person came and talked to me. They are desperate.  Lol. 

i have no plans on getting rid of my 02 excursion......although the guy i bought it from came back to my shop a couple months ago and seemed interested in buying it.......if he were to offer me enough, i'd let it go, then buy something stupidly big again, lol

I've had a dozen F150s, all 2006 & newer.  When prices were reasonable I had a hobby of buying/fixing/flipping them but prices got crazy.  Every brand has their + & -, for me the Fords worked out great since the F150 is the most popular vehicle in the country.  Parts are available everywhere and the weaknesses are well known.  I'd suggest sticking with 2011 & newer with the 5.0.  None of the problems of the 5.4, though the earlier 4.6 engines are extremely reliable.  Just watch for rust.  That said, with used truck prices now I'd be on the lookout for something new at the dealer that checks all your boxes.  You'd pay sticker, but have a warranty and a new truck.  Yes, $45-50k (or more depending on trim), but to me that makes more sense that spending $20k+ for something with 150k miles on it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sniper said:

Wow... how do you get your truck to balance on it's bumper like that?

If you give it treats it follows commands. 

Idk, it’s normal in my camera roll. When I posted it here it flipped, and I couldn’t figure out how to fix it. 

2 hours ago, 0Jeep4 said:

Idk, it’s normal in my camera roll. When I posted it here it flipped, and I couldn’t figure out how to fix it. 

Do you have a iPhone?

2 hours ago, 0Jeep4 said:

If you give it treats it follows commands. 

That's one well trained truck!!  :mutley: