FishNHard

Let's talk trucks, What you drive,

soooo....update on the 2016 tahoe. the lifter didn't fail internally as is normal on these afm setups. the tab on the PLASTIC  cassette that prevents the lifter from rotating in its bore broke. thus, the lifter rotated in the bore. the edge of the roller gouged the cam lobe, essentially wiping it out. it flung metal around apparently, and also wiped out the next cam lobe back. so it needs a cam. no big deal, right? pull radiator, condenser, water pump etc and plenty of room to pull cam with engine in vehicle. except....the oil pump is in front of the timing chain but behind the timing cover.

so.....to take the timing chain off you need to take the oil pump off. to take the oil pump off you need to drop the oil pan. to drop the oil pan, you need to either drop everything underneath the engine or pull the engine. so this essentially escalated into an engine job.

BUT WAIT!!!! THERE'S MORE!!!!!!!

these engines are on national back order with no known timeline for availability. why you ask? because they're fooking junk. between the plethora of possible afm failures, and the rear main seal leaks......they're junk. now it's gonna end up costing this dept around 10k.

• FacePalm 1

7 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

soooo....update on the 2016 tahoe. the lifter didn't fail internally as is normal on these afm setups. the tab on the PLASTIC  cassette that prevents the lifter from rotating in its bore broke. thus, the lifter rotated in the bore. the edge of the roller gouged the cam lobe, essentially wiping it out. it flung metal around apparently, and also wiped out the next cam lobe back. so it needs a cam. no big deal, right? pull radiator, condenser, water pump etc and plenty of room to pull cam with engine in vehicle. except....the oil pump is in front of the timing chain but behind the timing cover.

so.....to take the timing chain off you need to take the oil pump off. to take the oil pump off you need to drop the oil pan. to drop the oil pan, you need to either drop everything underneath the engine or pull the engine. so this essentially escalated into an engine job.

BUT WAIT!!!! THERE'S MORE!!!!!!!

these engines are on national back order with no known timeline for availability. why you ask? because they're fooking junk. between the plethora of possible afm failures, and the rear main seal leaks......they're junk. now it's gonna end up costing this dept around 10k.

There really should be a "National Flog A Car Engineer Day".  Jus' sayen.

One of my friends who wrenches on his own vehicles had a Ford Edge.  He had to change the water pump.  It was in some absurd place INSIDE the engine (as he explained it).  

I guess automobile engineers thing NOBODY works on their own vehicles these day so who cares where we put stuff!  Well, some people do work on their own vehicles and mechanics still have to work on them!  How about using some logic when building these things!

Another reason I like older vehicles.  They are generally easier to work on yourself.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

There really should be a "National Flog A Car Engineer Day".  Jus' sayen.

One of my friends who wrenches on his own vehicles had a Ford Edge.  He had to change the water pump.  It was in some absurd place INSIDE the engine (as he explained it).  

I guess automobile engineers thing NOBODY works on their own vehicles these day so who cares where we put stuff!  Well, some people do work on their own vehicles and mechanics still have to work on them!  How about using some logic when building these things!

Another reason I like older vehicles.  They are generally easier to work on yourself.

yea. the waterpump's behind the timing cover. there's a passage that's supposed to route the coolant outside the engine when the pump leaks(and it will), but that hardly ever works. the same dept that owns this tahoe that i'm working on had to have a waterpump done on an explorer. thankfully it was still in warranty. the engine has to come out to do that pump.

• FacePalm 1

16 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

I don't think someone has looked at vehicle prices right now if you are seriously asking that question.  

I have been looking for wifey.... but, it's only money, you can't take it with you.. :scratchhead:

In reality, a few grand over the life of the vehicle, isn't a big deal, when looking at the prices of new SUVs.

A bigger issue is finding the vehicle in the configuration we want, with such a limited inventory.

On 1/23/2022 at 1:12 PM, gleninjersey said:

But honestly, if you don't need a vehicle now.  Just wait.  I think you'll me MUCH happier.

Wifey went out to "tire kick" and look at new Cherokees... When her first phone call came in while I was at home, I knew I was in trouble... Damn, I was negotiating with the dealer on the phone, while texting her info/documents to hammer him with. Doncha know, a new Cherokee followed her home...  :shok:  :dontknow:

6 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Wifey went out to "tire kick" and look at new Cherokees... When her first phone call came in while I was at home, I knew I was in trouble... Damn, I was negotiating with the dealer on the phone, while texting her info/documents to hammer him with. Doncha know, a new Cherokee followed her home...  :shok:  :dontknow:

Why bother negotiating? Like you said it's only money, can't take it with you.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

got the v8?

2 hours ago, Bklynracer said:

Why bother negotiating? Like you said it's only money, can't take it with you.

Exactly right, I don't care... but it makes wifey feel better, thinking she got a deal. And, any money I can extract from the dealer, is a win in my book.

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

got the v8?

No, I wanted the V6. More importantly, I wanted a SUV I could flat tow behind the RV. None of our existing vehicles were capable of that.

I bought my first truck ever about two years ago, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road. All the features of a Raptor at less then half the price and it wont be at the dealership 50 times in the next ten years! I bought it because I have three close friends that has older ones from 2002 that went over 350,00 miles and my friend Josh is still driving his with over 400,000 miles. I got mine with ever option and got a awesome deal at Morristown Toyota. I thinK no one wanted the 6'-2" bed (5'-0" is standard). I made them a ridiculous offer and they accepted.  I have about 19,000 miles on it so far and I had to do one recall (fuel pump and seal for the third brake light) but it was running fine before the fuel pump was replaced. I love it so far, best money I every spent.

47 minutes ago, Sniper said:

The dealer tried to play that "market adjustment" the other day with me... Sorry, Homie don't play that game.

the "market" is what deal you make.  So if the deal is MSRP, that is the market adjustment.  If the "market" cannot absorb the additional markup then its not a market adjustment.  Its all BS because then their argument is "well your trade in now is worth 25% more blah blah".  

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, NJRulz said:

the "market" is what deal you make.  So if the deal is MSRP, that is the market adjustment.  If the "market" cannot absorb the additional markup then its not a market adjustment.

I wonder how many people just pay that "market adjustment"... just because... I just went through that the other day buying wifey's new ride, dealer wanted MSRP plus $1800 "market adjustment".

Nice try, but that didn't happen..