Sign in to follow this  
Maksim

mossberg plinkster?

I was suckered in by the price a few months ago and bought one.... the gun seems to like Remington Thunderbolt ammo, anything else and it is terribly inaccurate. I'm guessing shallow rifling? not enough "bite" on anything but lead. Anyway, spring for a 10/22 or a savage semi .22. Thats what I would've done in hindsight.

Some people swear by them... others at them. YMMV. I dont like them because of their size.

I highly recomend the 597... picked mine up for $170. I helluva nice gun, very accurate, full size, good manual of arms, really nice sights standard. Get the standard then add a scope... do not spring for the scoped model, scope sux and it does not come with sights.

I bought mine took it home and polished the guide rails with oil and fine steel wool until they were really slippery. I have put 600 rds through it with one... one FTE. The accuracy is on par with the 10/22 hbar i sold recently. I really like this gun and there are some additional tricks you can throw on it to really up the accuracy.

Great bargain.

Yeah, it looks pretty cool, but the stock is VERY light. I don't know about other stocks, but the carbon fiber one weighs next to nothing. Its a little short for me as well, not a comfortable shooter. Fits my wife well, thats the only reason I own it.

I bought one last year at Dick's. They had them on sale for $89 with the plastic stock and it came with an inexpensive but usable 4x scope. I've had no problems with it and it shoots about as good as any other semi-auto 22 with any ammo I've tried.

Thats what I've been hearing griz...supposedly there are some good ones and some bad ones. Some people have no issues at all, and some people have all kinds of issues. It seems like a hit or miss problem, maybe certain production runs. Who knows. Glad to hear you didn't have any problems. :)

I was at the range on Saturday. I was shooting at a 3" red circle target at 50' from a benchrest. I have a red fiber-optic front sight so I was losing the sight in the target. To my surprise, I had a 10 shot group you could cover with a quarter. This was with Remington Golden bullets too.

I installed a Marble's ramp-style, rear peep sight I had laying around. I used a Marble's Shortie ramp and push in front sight. I am really hooked on peep sights which work well with older, not so great eyes.