Paddy

Private NJ Online Sale Of Handgun to Out-Of-State

New here.  Need advice please.

I want to sell a M&P 22 online.  When it is purchased by a non-NJ resident, I understand that it must go to their chosen FFL.  Fine.  

My question is about the registration.  From my understanding, that pistol will still be registered to me since the receiving FFL may or may not reregister it to the new owner due to different atate laws.  Is this correct?  

Do I need to worry that the firearm may be used in a crime and traced back to me?

TYIA

If you bought this handgun while a NJ resident on a P2P. If you ship it directly to an out of state FFL the gun will still be registered to you with NJSP. The only sure way I know the gun will be "unregistered" to you is if you have a NJ FFL ship the gun for you.

Can anyone confirm that there is a process where the FFL deregisters the firearm in this scenario?  

It is terribly frustrating to know that the state wants to make it so difficult to purchase handguns yet does very little to protect law-abiding citizens on the selling side.  

Even if you take it to a NJ FFL and have them ship it, all they are doing is "logging it in" that they took possession of it.  That does not equate to deregistering.   Your local PD (and the State permit system) will always have that serial number linked to you.  You just have the transfer paperwork to show that you turned it over to an FFL and sold it.

My sense is that if you decide to ship it yourself to an FFL out of state (using UPS overnight as FedEx changed their policy and non-FFLs cannot ship anymore), just retain all the paperwork, such as the sale transaction, the receiving FFL info, the UPS tracking / label info.  Just my 2 cents...

1 hour ago, MrAceJD said:

Even if you take it to a NJ FFL and have them ship it, all they are doing is "logging it in" that they took possession of it.  That does not equate to deregistering.   Your local PD (and the State permit system) will always have that serial number linked to you.  You just have the transfer paperwork to show that you turned it over to an FFL and sold it.

My sense is that if you decide to ship it yourself to an FFL out of state (using UPS overnight as FedEx changed their policy and non-FFLs cannot ship anymore), just retain all the paperwork, such as the sale transaction, the receiving FFL info, the UPS tracking / label info.  Just my 2 cents...

I totally understand this now.  Thank you.