Regular Guy

Online Permit to Purchase question

Last month was my first time applying for handgun purchase permits since the application process went digital.  I received an email today that my requested number of permits was approved and the email included a link and a code to use to download a new digital FID, though I did not request a new one of those.  I downloaded it.  The email then says "Your electronic permits are now available for use.  You will NOT see your permits until a HANDGUN TRANSFER has been EXECUTED."  So how exactly does it work to make a purchase?  I noticed the new FID has a confirmation number on it where as my old one has a fingerprint on it.  Is the FFL able to look up the confirmation number and see that I have approved P2Ps in my name?  What triggers the P2P to become accessible? 

26 minutes ago, Regular Guy said:

Is the FFL able to look up the confirmation number and see that I have approved P2Ps in my name?  What triggers the P2P to become accessible? 

Exactly. When you go to your FFL and give him your FID number, he looks it up and uses one of your permits. After you complete your purchase, you'll get a email stating you used one of the permits.

Once your permit is executed by your FFL you will get an email from that it was executed with with a link to to print and a download a copy copy of the executed permit. The email will also show how many permits are left and when they expire.  Also once an unused permit reaches its 90 expiration, you will get an automated email informing you that the unused permits have been extended an additional 90 days.

you can apply once and request multiple permits.  The "One gun a month" rule still applies so if you get multiple permits, you can only use one every 30 days .  

It took 28 days for mine to get approved, but I live in a rural area so my application goes to the state police since my area doesn't have a local police department.  The Trenton office processes all the applications from rural areas around the state with no local police department (at least they did when it was done on paper).  People who live in a place that has a local city or municipal police department have their applications processed by their local department so it could possibly get done faster.

1 hour ago, Regular Guy said:

The Trenton office processes all the applications from rural areas around the state with no local police department (at least they did when it was done on paper). 

Yes, it was that way with paper permits. Not anymore. Now the 'firearm trooper' in each barracks takes care of the processing. The now retired trooper at Augusta was very conscientious and the last time I applied for permits it took eight days from start to finish.

Your mileage may vary.

• Informative 1