DaddyNick

Last week's frozen highway.

In Virginia. Cars were stuck stranded for 24-38 hours. After action reports I'm reading the #1 thing people didn't have was food and water. 

Cars were kept running for heat. Once out of gas people abandoned them and left on foot. 

A bread vendor ended up giving all his bread to people to help with hunger.   

Haven't heard of any violence, theft, etc   

Discuss

What do you carry?  How much water?

MREs? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaddyNick said:

In Virginia. Cars were stuck stranded for 24-38 hours. After action reports I'm reading the #1 thing people didn't have was food and water. 

Cars were kept running for heat. Once out of gas people abandoned them and left on foot. 

Discuss

MREs? 

there should have been no reason to run outta gas. idling for that long should've been possible if people kept their tanks above half or 3/4.....but most run well below half tank.

me personally, i don't keep anything as far as food in my vehicles, but i do keep a case of water in the car, and one in the truck.

i also carry a "go bag" in my vehicles. warm clothes, basic first aid, kbar, and a couple other tools.

• Agree 1

On 1/14/2022 at 6:34 PM, DaddyNick said:

Discuss

MREs? 

See the source image

I have the improved version(includes solar charger for iphone) of the above bag in my car along with a small first aid kit and two quick clot wound bandages and some water. I have also have the cyclone air tire charger and some work gloves. 

• Like 1

Great post! Based on several comments in this forum, I recently realized I am woefully unprepared in term of car travel. Yikes that VA. situation really drove home how it's a good thing to be prepared in your car as well as at home.

True confessions, I have always kept nothing in my car - no first aid supplies, no cash, no water, no food. Terrible Girl Scout. I just started brainstorming on this myself and have started to make a list and set a few items aside already - cash, granola bars, etc. - really early in the process though. Hmmm, the bag above is certainly an easy, ready-made solution. Probably shouldn't rule that out either. 

I'll be watching these responses with great interest! :good:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I recently realized I am woefully unprepared in term of.....

I think I'm seeing a pattern here... :dontknow:

Ya know... we're going to start billing you, for all this education we're providing.... Where do we send the invoice for the consultation fee?   :yahoo:

• Crazy 1

We went through there a couple of days later on our trip down to Florida.  We had heard that the roads were cleared, but the area was still a mess.  I-95 was clear, but there were lots of downed trees, and plenty of snow and ice just off the highway.  We stopped in Fredricksburg (we had been hoping to make it to Richmond, but icy roads that morning delayed our start), and had a tough time getting a room.  Seems the power was still out, so lots of locals were staying in the hotels, so I guess that's one way to prep.  We had plenty of food and water, our get home bag, a winter emergency kit, and a couple of blankets.  We really did not want to spend the night in our car, and were lucky enough to snag a room at a nice Hampton Inn.  But I feel we were prepared in the event of trouble. 

• Like 1

1st rule of auto preparedness is, don't travel if you don't have to.

2nd rule of auto preparedness is, pay attention to the damn weather before you travel.

3rd rule of auto preparedness is, make sure you have at least the basics to deal with the projected inclement weather, that you've decided you need to travel in.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

I have a kit in each car with food, water, etc.  I fill up at half a tank

that is probably why so many people had problems with running out. most people seem to think that that little "E" on their fuel gauge stands for "enough".

to me, the half tank mark is my empty mark.

• Agree 1