njviper91

Permit timeline - Jackson

Does anyone have any recent experience with the handgun permit timeline in Jackson?

I submitted the application Dec 30th.  I was under the assumption that Id pay when they are ready, however i got a call from the police station that I had to pay now and everything is electronic.

I used the link on jacksons website to pay online for the 3 permits.  It just asks for the confirmation number of the permit app. Im hoping i did it all right.

Last time I used FARS was to update the address on my Firearm purchase id back in 2019 the steps were:

1. submit app
  2. wait for references to respond
  3. BG check 
  4. approval

Im at step 3 right now but have yet to receive the update email that the background check was completed. (does this email still happen with handgun permits?)

I heard recently that Jackson is a pain and can take a long time, are we talking weeks or months here?

Why could it be stuck on the BG check?  I know im all good, i just had a successful NICS check last month.

On 1/20/2022 at 12:13 PM, njviper91 said:

Spoke to someone at the police station today, they were very nice.  She confirmed they got my payment and said im looking at another 2 weeks for the permits to be approved.  (hoping thats true) Guess we will see. 

They must have gotten some new people since I did a change of address with a few permits in Jackson, and I'm sure that the new electronic system helps as well. It was probably 5 or 6 years ago, took a few months, and the people I spoke to on the phone were quite rude. I think it was around the three month mark that I sent an email to the chief. Total coincidence, the very next day after I sent the email I was approved. :fool:

On 1/22/2022 at 4:26 PM, Persona non grata said:

They must have gotten some new people since I did a change of address with a few permits in Jackson, and I'm sure that the new electronic system helps as well. It was probably 5 or 6 years ago, took a few months, and the people I spoke to on the phone were quite rude. I think it was around the three month mark that I sent an email to the chief. Total coincidence, the very next day after I sent the email I was approved. :fool:

Hoping it doesn't take that long, I have a handgun on hold id like to pick up soon.

On 1/20/2022 at 5:15 PM, ESB said:

My wife applied for replacement FID and it was about 6 weeks total.  I applied for a PPP Jan 3 and still waiting.  

Any movement on your PPP?

1 minute ago, ESB said:

Nope.  Still waiting.  I'm looking for a Taurus TX22 for plinking.  Found a good deal, but didn't have the PPP so didn't get it.  :( 

I snagged an SR22.  Next up looking for a Beretta 92X.  Still cant have either till i get the permits :/

On 1/19/2022 at 11:29 AM, njviper91 said:

Im at step 3 right now but have yet to receive the update email that the background check was completed. (does this email still happen with handgun permits?)

To answer one of your questions, they don't do the email about passing the background check anymore. I have not gotten them the last two rounds of permits. 

Side note, NJSP approved mine in 9 calendar days this last time. Also, they give a link for the E-FID each time now as well. 

9 minutes ago, kc17 said:

To answer one of your questions, they don't do the email about passing the background check anymore. I have not gotten them the last two rounds of permits. 

Side note, NJSP approved mine in 9 calendar days this last time. Also, they give a link for the E-FID each time now as well. 

So the bottleneck is my local PD?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, kc17 said:

Most likely. I don't have a local PD, only have to deal with the NJSP. 

Just a historical note. For this purpose, each NJSP barracks functions like its own little police department. In those barracks the first stop for your application(s) is the Firearms Trooper. Depending on their posture, your approval time may be very quick, or interminably long.

I've had both scenarios and heard both scenarios from others tied to other barracks.

On 1/19/2022 at 11:29 AM, njviper91 said:

Does anyone have any recent experience with the handgun permit timeline in Jackson?

Not recent, but a bunch of years ago, I lived in Jackson when I did an change of address and applied for permits. When it seems like it was dragging, I sent a really nice email to the Chief, asking for some help and if he knew why it was taking longer than originally told. The next day, I got a call that they were ready to be picked up.

Sometimes, these applications sit on a desk, until the officer who processes them, gets around to it. If you go this route, make sure your email is really nice and friendly, and not confrontational.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Not recent, but a bunch of years ago, I lived in Jackson when I did an change of address and applied for permits. When it seems like it was dragging, I sent a really nice email to the Chief, asking for some help and if he knew why it was taking longer than originally told. The next day, I got a call that they were ready to be picked up.

Sometimes, these applications sit on a desk, until the officer who processes them, gets around to it. If you go this route, make sure your email is really nice and friendly, and not confrontational.

I will give it the 2 weeks more that the clerk said.  What is the best way to find the Chief's email address?  Looks like they just show a fax number online.

5 minutes ago, njviper91 said:

I will give it the 2 weeks more that the clerk said.  What is the best way to find the Chief's email address?  Looks like they just show a fax number online.

It looks like they use the format First initial, Last name. Try this: [email protected]

https://jacksontwpnj.net/Directory.aspx?did=16

Also, if you know the name of the officer that processes the permits, check to see if his email link is on that page too.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sniper said:

When it seems like it was dragging, I sent a really nice email to the Chief, asking for some help and if he knew why it was taking longer than originally told. The next day, I got a call that they were ready to be picked up.

I know I mentioned this quite a while ago on the forum. Back in the 70's it was the same story in Madison. I got the runaround for my first pistol permits for three months, until the phone call (no email back then) when I said "Let me speak to the Chief please." Next thing I heard from the desk sergeant after a short hold was 'Your permits will be ready for pickup tomorrow."

When I applied for the permits, they also asked me "Why do you want handguns?" Madison was always a Democrat strong hold.

On 1/25/2022 at 2:24 PM, kc17 said:

I have one more dumb question, Do they only email updates on the permits at 6AM in the morning?  I see all the past milestone emails have been sent at 6am.  Then i can stop checking email throughout the day and if it doesn't come in overnight its not coming in.

2 hours ago, njviper91 said:

I have one more dumb question, Do they only email updates on the permits at 6AM in the morning?  I see all the past milestone emails have been sent at 6am.  Then i can stop checking email throughout the day and if it doesn't come in overnight its not coming in.

I just took a look at the old emails. It seems most were in early morning 0500-0800 more recently. Older ones came through at other times during the day or late night. These are the ones that came from the NJ Portal address.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, njviper91 said:

All the emails I got were sent at 6:01-6:04 AM, excepting the ones that are generated immediately after a specific event, such as when a friend finishes filling out their reference questionnaire.

8 hours ago, Dr. Goodshot said:

All the emails I got were sent at 6:01-6:04 AM, excepting the ones that are generated immediately after a specific event, such as when a friend finishes filling out their reference questionnaire.

Yeah that’s how mine were.  So they are using a batch process once a day for updates.  Makes sense.  

On 2/9/2022 at 10:48 AM, ESB said:

Got mine back on Friday (received at 6:06am).  So about 5 weeks.  

Man this process really does suck, there is no rhyme or reason to how they do this.  I called today and asked for an update, she asked when I applied and I said December.  She said they are working on December now.  I asked if there was an Issue and she said no that my application was in the Detectives bureau waiting to be approved.  Makes absolutely no sense, especially since I applied the same time or a little before you.  Im now on week 7.

16 minutes ago, njviper91 said:

I asked if there was an Issue and she said no that my application was in the Detectives bureau waiting to be approved.

This is the crux of the problem. Everything hinges on a detective taking up your case as if the NICS system does not exist.

Then after all is done, the chief of the PD has to sign off on it. This all takes a backseat to actual police duties.

I'm not in the same town, but my local PD actually sent me a courtesy email to let me know that my FPID/Permits were approved and I should get an email soon to download it. There was never an update on my case status to reflect the background check being completed.

I hope you do not have to wait too long. Eventually, you will just get an email from NJ FARS saying "here's your FPID and when your permits expire"

7 minutes ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

This is the crux of the problem. Everything hinges on a detective taking up your case as if the NICS system does not exist.

Then after all is done, the chief of the PD has to sign off on it. This all takes a backseat to actual police duties.

I'm not in the same town, but my local PD actually sent me a courtesy email to let me know that my FPID/Permits were approved and I should get an email soon to download it. There was never an update on my case status to reflect the background check being completed.

I hope you do not have to wait too long. Eventually, you will just get an email from NJ FARS saying "here's your FPID and when your permits expire"

Yeah, I mostly wouldn't care for the most part except for the fact I paid for 2 pistols that are sitting in a safe at my LGS.  Just uneasy paying all that money out while waiting for permits.  I just hope they dont have some max timeline at the LGS for holding these things.  I guess it shouldn't matter if they are paid for.  Unfortunately unless you buy when things come in you have the chance of not getting it.

It depends on the LGS. Many are glad to hold onto guns for you, eg. if you're in-between 30 day wait periods. As long as they know you're just waiting on the permit and didn't disappear then it should be fine. Maybe update them now and then as a courtesy.

A year ago, I applied for P2Ps on FARS and 5 days later I got the email "Criminal History Check Completed"!  I applied almost a month ago and still no email.  Last message I got was my references responded. 

Do they no longer email when the Criminal History Check is completed?

31 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

A year ago, I applied for P2Ps on FARS and 5 days later I got the email "Criminal History Check Completed"!  I applied almost a month ago and still no email.  Last message I got was my references responded. 

Do they no longer email when the Criminal History Check is completed?

They do not.  If you are in Jackson they are backed up right now.  Took 65 days for my permits to come in.

On 3/12/2022 at 7:42 PM, njviper91 said:

They do not.  If you are in Jackson they are backed up right now.  Took 65 days for my permits to come in.

Not still waiting I hope? I recently applied for my FPIC and a pistol purchase permit and I was curious how long it took for you.

46 minutes ago, vuther316 said:

Not still waiting I hope? I recently applied for my FPIC and a pistol purchase permit and I was curious how long it took for you.

Both times I applied it took 2 months to get the permits