Old Glock guy

Life in the Land of Sunshine and Freedom

As I mentioned in another thread, we bought a condo in Florida a couple of years ago, and have started spending some time down here.  We have not become residents yet, but still are able to enjoy a taste of life in a free state with Covid sanity and everyday concealed carry.

Yesterday I purchased the Zastava Arms ZPAP M70 for which I have been lusting.  Bought it online from Atlantic Firearms and had it shipped to a local dealer.  When I went over to pick it up, he asked me for my DL and Florida CCW permit (if I had one).  I filled out a 4473 and a few minutes later, he said, "You're all set."  Holy crap!  No waiting days for an "instant" background check requiring a return trip to the dealer.  In just minutes I was able to walk out with my new beauty.  While I was there, a fellow walked in and asked to look at a handgun.  He checked it out for a few minutes, then said, "OK, I'll take it."  Same deal for him:  DL, Florida CCW, 4473, and out the door in a few minutes with the gun. 

I should note that with the ready availability of guns in Florida, contrary to the hysterical fears of legislators in states like New Jersey, not only do legal gun owners not run around shooting each other, one rarely (like, never) even sees a gun.

All that aside, the weather here has been great, the people warm and welcoming.  On days when it's a little cooler, with temperatures in the mid-60's, when we can't sit by the pool or go to the beach, the weather is perfect for golf, pickle ball, running and working out, or just hanging out.  Unfortunately, we have to leave "The Matrix" next week to return to Jersey for six weeks in the middle of winter, for some weddings and other family events.  But we get to look forward to returning in mid-March for another 6-8 weeks.  If any of you are down this way, be sure to say hi!

• Like 7

Texas ain’t much different. 

The first time I walked into an Academy Sports, and saw TONS of guns and ammo (and the ammo was out openly so you could get it yourself…no clerk required). Rifles and shotguns were in racks where you could openly handle them too. Handguns, of course, were locked in a case, but it’s no problem to have a clerk hand one to you. 

Because I lived in Nj for 21 years, I almost felt like I was doing something WRONG when I handled them in the shop, with no ‘supervision’. It was kind of a surreal feeling. 
I guess living in the northeast, you get browbeaten that firearms are verboten, and those who own them are criminals. 
Texas is VERY different in that respect. Talk about firearms, and what you own, where you shoot/hunt like is very common, like it was people talking about what kind of golf clubs you have and what course you play. 

Now that I have my Texas DL…next step is CHL. 

• Like 4

DT, I also know that surreal feeling you mentioned.  I did a lot of business travel to Texas back in 2015-2016. This was a few years after I got back into firearms and all things 2A related. So was acutely aware of, and felt daily,  the oppression we live under here. Visiting Bass Pro and other gun shops in Dallas there provided a wonderful taste of freedom and respect for our rights.  Actually got to browse and touch the boxes of ammo on the shelves!  Wow!  As an aside, on a short business  trip there in 2017 which spanned a weekend,  I managed to get fingerprinted and attend the CHL class and subsequently  received my Texas non-resident permit. (With that permit I was able to conceal carry in PA for ONE glorious day in my life. Shortly after, PA stopped recognizing non-resident permits.).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, oldguysrule649 said:

….received my Texas non-resident permit. (With that permit I was able to conceal carry in PA for ONE glorious day in my life. Shortly after, PA stopped recognizing non-resident permits.).

Now that you’re in Fl, do you carry daily? 

We have constitutional carry here. I don’t carry ever day, as I don’t feel the need to in the ‘bubble’ (community of mostly well off retired people! Lol). I do carry frequently when outside the community. Especially if I head towards Austin. 

It takes some getting used to. Not just having a concealed handgun in a holster on your body, but the feeling that it’s OK to do so! 
I’m still at the stage of being self conscious about it, but it’s getting less so, the more I’m around here. 

CHL for us does the same as FL, eliminates the background check. I want it for that. Not that I NEED to buy more firearms…(blasphemy!!). 

4 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

Unfortunately, we have to leave "The Matrix" next week to return to Jersey for six weeks in the middle of winter, for some weddings and other family events.  But we get to look forward to returning in mid-March for another 6-8 weeks.  If any of you are down this way, be sure to say hi!

We are heading down to the Keys on a RV trip in April. As I look out the window right now, and it's snowing, I want to leave TODAY!!

8 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

We have constitutional carry here. I don’t carry ever day, as I don’t feel the need to in the ‘bubble’ (community of mostly well off retired people! Lol). I do carry frequently when outside the community. Especially if I head towards Austin. 

It takes some getting used to. Not just having a concealed handgun in a holster on your body, but the feeling that it’s OK to do so! 
I’m still at the stage of being self conscious about it, but it’s getting less so, the more I’m around here. 

CHL for us does the same as FL, eliminates the background check. I want it for that. Not that I NEED to buy more firearms…(blasphemy!!). 

You quoted me, but I assume you are directing your question to Old Glock Guy.  I myself am still stuck in NJ.  Hoping some year soon to get a vacation place in a free state.

50 minutes ago, oldguysrule649 said:

You quoted me, but I assume you are directing your question to Old Glock Guy.  I myself am still stuck in NJ.  Hoping some year soon to get a vacation place in a free state.

I did. Sorry. Not enough coffee this morning 

20 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

Yes, I do. It definitely felt strange for a long time, after spending my whole life in the northeast, but it has become quite comfortable, both mentally and physically.  We live in a very safe area, but you never know.  The part where it gets tricky is when we go out and decide to sit at a bar for a drink, or to eat.  According to Florida law, one is not allowed to carry in the part of an establishment that makes most of its money from the sale of alcohol.  So while we often enjoy the lively environs of a bar or the surrounding tables, I will generally try to get us a table in the restaurant area. 

• Like 1