Adm JCZ

sp-66 CONSENT FOR MENTAL HEALTH RECORDS SEARCH Confusion

Just moved to a major city in NJ from ny. Can someone clarify the  how and when to submit SP-66. My local PD is giving me conflicting answers

One officer says they dont take the form its  "all online now"

Another officers says "dont submit until u get a call from investigator"

Another officers says "you only submit if u live out of state or dual resident"

Another officers says  "its only required just it case something comes up in another state"

another officers "only put out of state address on form"

All from the same PD. And they all have a nasty rushing attitude, as if i want to come there in the first place

My wife was already forced to withdraw her application  for missing SP66-because she thought "it was all online"

I DONT GET WHY NJ JUST DOESNT STANDARDIZE PROCEDURES ACROSS THE STATE SO EACH PD FOLLOW THE SAME CLEAR PROCEDURE. 

Is seems that the ambiguity on the who, what, when of this form is meant to delibrately dissuade a citizen from applying or cause that person to apply improperly 

4 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

If you live in NJ it is included in the online application. If you live in another State they need the signed paper form to submit to out of State records offices.

so why was my wife force to withdraw her application for not submitting the paper form ? We have both been living in NJ for nearly 3 years. 

2 minutes ago, Adm JCZ said:

so why was my wife force to withdraw her application for not submitting the paper form ? We have both been living in NJ for nearly 3 years. 

Probably because they wanted to submit the paper form to the records offices where she used to live in another State. This is a release for your mental health history therefore goes back into the past.

If you can't get a straight answer from whoever picks up the phone at your PD, ask to speak to the Chief. He should be able to give you the definitive answer.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Adm JCZ said:

I DONT GET WHY NJ JUST DOESNT STANDARDIZE PROCEDURES ACROSS THE STATE SO EACH PD FOLLOW THE SAME CLEAR PROCEDURE. 

Is seems that the ambiguity on the who, what, when of this form is meant to delibrately dissuade a citizen from applying or cause that person to apply improperly 

Welcome to NJ!!!

1 hour ago, Adm JCZ said:

Just moved to a major city in NJ from ny. Can someone clarify the  how and when to submit SP-66. My local PD is giving me conflicting answers

One officer says they dont take the form its  "all online now"

Another officers says "dont submit until u get a call from investigator"

Another officers says "you only submit if u live out of state or dual resident"

Another officers says  "its only required just it case something comes up in another state"

another officers "only put out of state address on form"

All from the same PD. And they all have a nasty rushing attitude, as if i want to come there in the first place

My wife was already forced to withdraw her application  for missing SP66-because she thought "it was all online"

Welcome to the SHITSHOW! The cops in my town (Highland Park) called my employer multiple times to notify them that "I like guns" and god knows what other erroneous and irrelevant information. Best have a "sit down" with your boss if your currently employed. 

4 hours ago, marlintag said:

Welcome to the SHITSHOW! The cops in my town (Highland Park) called my employer multiple times to notify them that "I like guns" and god knows what other erroneous and irrelevant information. Best have a "sit down" with your boss if your currently employed. 

Thats why I don't provide an employer phone number or info.   

21 hours ago, Adm JCZ said:

...I DONT GET WHY NJ JUST DOESNT STANDARDIZE PROCEDURES ACROSS THE STATE SO EACH PD FOLLOW THE SAME CLEAR PROCEDURE....

Short answer is:

The Glorious Peoples Republik of New Jerseystan (PRNJ) does NOT want you to be able to purchase firearms and throws as many roadblocks in your path to doing so.

20 hours ago, Golf battery said:

Well thats illegal for them to do that.  

I can't find the penalty for failure to follow the law as written, maybe a reason that many departments have made up their own "laws" for years to get a FPID or PPP.

2 hours ago, b47356 said:

I can't find the penalty for failure to follow the law as written, maybe a reason that many departments have made up their own "laws" for years to get a FPID or PPP.

Are you talking about holding government employees accountable? Let alone law enforcement ......

Hahahahhahahahah what’s the temperature in hell ? I don’t think it froze over yet. 

but to help, the mental health check, I believe, goes back ten years. So if you lived anywhere else in those ten years. They want to check that states records also. 

• Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 9:08 PM, Golf battery said:

B47356.  There is no actual penalty. It would be a law suit and the judge would rule they cant do that.  Then. Precedent set. But probably only that municipality would comply.  

I'm aware of that. It is just more obvious now, since we have years of ..communications.. pointing out to these PDs that they are doing things contrary to the law.

And they continue to anyway.

You can be sure that if a bill was filed to add some teeth to that part of the law, it wouldn't come out of committee. (see PA for details of what happens when it actually passes with a (D) gov)