Sniper

Keep Your Eyes Open Regarding Cyber Attacks

I'm seeing reports by people more familiar with the behind the scenes tech systems, and they're seeing more "outside probings" into critical systems. Concerns are, if things go hot in the Euro theater or Asia theater, it won't just be tanks and artillery doing the fighting.

So, first, keep an eye on your bank balances, retirement account balances, credit cards, etc. for possible hacking, inaccess or questionable activity.

I saw reports out West last night that some USAA credit and debit cards weren't working.

Second, there has been two different reports on critical infrastructure (electric and water) that hackers are looking for an intrusion into a way to shut them down. The fact that these two warnings below have come out recently, means that TPTB think it's a good possibility.

Getting power or water shut down to large areas won't be a pleasant thing.

...."WASHINGTON (AP) — Extremist groups in the United States appear to increasingly view attacking the power grid as a means of disrupting the country, according to a government report aimed at law enforcement agencies and utility operators."

https://apnews.com/article/business-united-states-law-enforcement-agencies-9e3d1d4d4cd429b69a787235caa7e4b8

......"Cyber defenses for US drinking water supplies are "absolutely inadequate" and vulnerable to large-scale disruption by hackers, a senior official said Thursday.

"There's inadequate resilience to even a criminal sector," the official said. "The threshold of resilience is not what it needs to be."

https://news.yahoo.com/us-says-national-water-supply-142023485.html

i read an article the other day in one of the liberal online rags that they were saying they felt domestic violent criminals were looking into these things. soon as i read that, i figured it was a cover for outside sources to fook with us.

1 hour ago, CMJeepster said:

I just got LifeLock this year after some funny business.  Worth every penny.

While that’s a good defense against cyber criminals on your personal accounts, I think the real worry here is attacks on infrastructure. 
Its been well covered here and in other places, but our power grid is extremely vulnerable. 
What about water, and NG? And other services? 

Loss of those things tend to bring society to a grinding halt. 

29 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

While that’s a good defense against cyber criminals on your personal accounts, I think the real worry here is attacks on infrastructure. 
Its been well covered here and in other places, but our power grid is extremely vulnerable. 

Loss of those things tend to bring society to a grinding halt. 

Bats.  Don't forget bats!

47 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

I think the real worry here is attacks on infrastructure. 

That's the biggie..

Many infrastructure control workers shifted to working from home in the Covid crazy, in some cases, using their own computers, which have left the door open for intrusion into the systems, through unsecure computers.

Peel might get the chance to experience her "Lights Out" book in real life!

A few months ago that main pipeline got hacked in the South East... if more like that spread through important electric, NG, fuel, water systems, it will get interesting. For those on city sewer, just imagine what happens when the pumps get hacked and stopped, and crap ain't being sent down the line. ... :shok:

• Crazy 1