GDITurbo77

How do I transfer my daughter's rifle to myself?

I asked my LGS about the process of transferring my daughter's rifle into my name. He said all I need to do is go to the NJSP website and choose transfer between immediate family with NICS exemption. The only thing I see there says Transfer of handgun to immediate family. Nothing about long guns. Do I use the same form? It's asking for a FARS confirmation number for a permit, but I shouldn't need a permit for a long gun.

Old COE was all you needed. Nothing gets sent to the state. It was basically just a bill of sale both the seller and buyer held onto. I would just take the firearm if you’re not a restricted person. 

Update: 

https://www.njsp.org/firearms/pdf/sp-634_20180914.pdf

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 0Jeep4 said:

Old COE was all you needed. Nothing gets sent to the state. It was basically just a bill of sale both the seller and buyer held onto. I would just take firearm if you’re not a restricted person. 

Update: 

https://www.njsp.org/firearms/pdf/sp-634_20180914.pdf

That's what he mentioned....a COE. Thank you very much for your help.

• Thanks 1

On 2/1/2022 at 10:44 AM, Mr.Stu said:

Correct.

What's the process for handguns?  My father passed recently and my mother is left with two handguns.  The guns were acquired out of state and brought to NJ when they moved here a few years ago.  They did not register them.  My mother does not have an FID.  I have two permits in hand.  Does this need to go through an FFL?

4 minutes ago, EdF said:

What's the process for handguns?  My father passed recently and my mother is left with two handguns.  The guns were acquired out of state and brought to NJ when they moved here a few years ago.  They did not register them.  My mother does not have an FID.  I have two permits in hand.  Does this need to go through an FFL?

As you fall within the exemption for immediate family members you can execute your PtPP directly through the FARS portal without needing an FFL. You still need a separate permit for each handgun and you are still subject to the OGAM rules.

The instructions are here: https://www.njsp.org/firearms/pdf/Person_Person_transfer_NICS_exemption.pdf

ETA: the seller does not need any documentation. As your mother does not have an SBI number, leave that field blank when you get to that point.

• Informative 1

If the handguns where left to him, would he need PPP or any documentation or registration?    The NJ Firearms FAQ makes me think you don't, but not sure. 

Firearms Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) | New Jersey State Police (njsp.org)

Does it have to explicitly be in the will, or can the executor of the will/estate give the firearm and still count as inherited?  

7 hours ago, EdF said:

Sorry to hear of your loss. @EdF listen to @Mr.Stu and you'll do fine :) 

Surviving widows living in NJ without Yellow Cards number in the tens of thousands (or higher).  Some of them are in senior care facilities or hospice and their offspring have "Power of Attorney" over their affairs.  If a Power of Attorney exists, you can "sell" the handgun to yourself and enclose a copy of the Power of Attorney with the copy of the permit going to the CLEO and the NJSP.

"Back in the Day" direct relatives just gave firearms to surviving family members w/o any paperwork...

~R

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smokin .50 said:

orry to hear of your loss. @EdF listen to @Mr.Stu and you'll do fine :)

Thank you for the thoughts . . . 

Actually, my father didn't have an FID either.  They purchased the guns when they lived in Maryland and PA.  In fact, they were all purchased in my mother's name anyway.  My sister, who still lives in PA and I are splitting them up.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, EdF said:

Thank you for the thoughts . . . 

Actually, my father didn't have an FID either.  They purchased the guns when they lived in Maryland and PA.  In fact, they were all purchased in my mother's name anyway.  My sister, who still lives in PA and I are splitting them up.

Sorry, I had assumed both your Mother and you live in NJ. If you both do then what I said before stands.

If you live in different States you must transfer any firearms through an FFL, handguns must be through an FFL in the State where the recipient lives and long guns can be through any FFL.

12 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

Sorry, I had assumed both your Mother and you live in NJ. If you both do then what I said before stands.

that was a correct assumption.  My mother bought the guns when she lived out of state and then moved here.  I live in NJ.  My sister lives in PA.  I know that anything going to HER will have to go through a PA FLL.

• Like 2